Contract extension for Marty Simmons

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Contract extension for Marty Simmons

Postby sixth ace » January 17th, 2017, 11:14 pm

uniftw wrote:
ACECARD wrote:People who post to this board, and complain about how bad the Aces program, and coach ,and team are are basically cowards if they don't post to the Aces forum. Nobody on this forum gives a chit about the Aces, and you're wasting your time posting about them on this forum. If all you want is for some A-Hole WSU fan to agree with you, then you are in the right place.

I'd argue Aces fans who aren't willing to come here and defend their coach after a decade are the cowards for not being willing to have their safe space violated and be triggered by people who aren't okay with a program with the potential upside of Evansville, continue to just drift along however the tide of the conference takes them.

Yes, that's terribly written. You get the point. Deal with it.

I believe it comes down to value for the money. What coach can you get,paying Marty off with an extension, and a new coach salary on UE's budget. Would you like to chance your coaching betterment.

Just Sayin

:Cheers:
ACES
ACES
ACES
I'M ONBOARD
sixth ace
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby E-Villan » January 18th, 2017, 1:12 am

sixth ace wrote:
uniftw wrote:
ACECARD wrote:People who post to this board, and complain about how bad the Aces program, and coach ,and team are are basically cowards if they don't post to the Aces forum. Nobody on this forum gives a chit about the Aces, and you're wasting your time posting about them on this forum. If all you want is for some A-Hole WSU fan to agree with you, then you are in the right place.

I'd argue Aces fans who aren't willing to come here and defend their coach after a decade are the cowards for not being willing to have their safe space violated and be triggered by people who aren't okay with a program with the potential upside of Evansville, continue to just drift along however the tide of the conference takes them.

Yes, that's terribly written. You get the point. Deal with it.

I believe it comes down to value for the money. What coach can you get,paying Marty off with an extension, and a new coach salary on UE's budget. Would you like to chance your coaching betterment.

Just Sayin

:Cheers:

The money excuses are just that. Marty doesn't make more because he simply doesn't deserve more. He was brought in on a hometown discount as an unproven. When the money is needed for a new practice facility..bam..there it is...new facilities..bam..start up track..bam. His unwarranted extension seems hush hush..but I would assume he increased his salary somewhat.

The 6,000+ fans that have disappeared in the last 10-15 years are still around, just looking for a reason to come back. There are plenty of boosters as well...it will just take some new blood in both the AD's office, the coaches seat, and possibly above that to turn it around. If you want success, you have to invest in it and have a plan...the only question is anyone willing to.
E-Villan
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Wufan » January 18th, 2017, 6:38 am

Lets say a new coach brings interest back to the program in year three and brings back half of those 6000 fans. 3000 extra butts in seats at $10 per is $30K per game times 15 home games is $450K. Easily enough to pay off Marty and bring in a new coach at an increased salary even if years one and two net no new income.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby acesfool » January 18th, 2017, 8:42 am

Is there any other coach in the country that runs an offense for guards to shoot elbow jumpers?
acesfool
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Redbirdgrad » January 18th, 2017, 10:27 am

acesfool wrote:Is there any other coach in the country that runs an offense for guards to shoot elbow jumpers?

UCLA did this a few decades ago. Used to work out for them...

8-)
Redbirdgrad
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » January 18th, 2017, 10:30 am

Redbirdgrad wrote:
acesfool wrote:Is there any other coach in the country that runs an offense for guards to shoot elbow jumpers?

8-)

Also Bobby Knight. Also 30 years ago. Note: Both were pre-3pt line. Don't try to explain this to Evansville fans though.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbirdgrad » January 18th, 2017, 10:34 am

Cdizzle wrote:
Redbirdgrad wrote:

8-)

Also Bobby Knight. Also 30 years ago. Note: Both were pre-3pt line. Don't try to explain this to Evansville fans though.

True story!!!
Redbirdgrad
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » January 18th, 2017, 11:38 am

That's the genius of it.

No one else does it. Impossible to prepare for. Impossible to stop.

It's why Evansville has all of the NCAA trips, S16 and deeper runs, NIT appearances, conference titles, etc.... using that system.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UE-grad » January 18th, 2017, 11:46 am

PurpleAcesFootball wrote:The Aces beat Mt. St. Joseph tonight to bring their record vs non-D1 opponents to 12-0 under Coach Simmons. That means I forgot to note a milestone last Saturday. The Aces are now 149-148 vs D1 opponents in the last 10 years - the first time ever above .500 in last decade.

That is an upward trend. On to conference play.

Don't forget the exhibition loss to DIII DePauw in year 2 or 3.
UE-grad
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby UE-grad » January 18th, 2017, 12:00 pm

I'm sick of the money excuse as well.

Marty is incapable of making adjustments, or trying anything out of the box.

Money isn't the reason the game plan is the same against St. Mary of the Woods, or Louisville on their home floor. Money isn't the reason when you're down 12 with 4 minutes to go you use 27 seconds of the shot clock. Money isn't the reason when your down 12 with 3 minutes to go you don't foul on every possession. MARTY is the problem.

To beat a team that is much better than you, you can't do the same thing, only hoping the execution is perfect on your side (ie 65% from the floor) and terrible on the other side (see UNI missing their first 13 3pt attempts or WSU sleepwalking for the first 14 minutes last night).

IlSU on Sunday played zone against WSU to great success - why wouldn't Marty do the same especially with nobody in the middle to compete and the top 2 scorers playing 36+ mpg.
SIU played a triangle in 2 last Saturday against UE - do they do that night in/night out?

I didn't make the drive last night to go to the game, so I watched on TV. I had to shake my head when they touted UE's 3pt D prowess in conference play. Marty's 3pt defensive strategy is to hope they miss. The announcers finally discussed the point that sometimes there is such a thing as "too much help."

Not soon after they flashed the stat that UE is LAST in the nation for 3pt attempts and makes per game. The comment was "there's a reason you only score 65 ppg, you can't score if you don't take the 3."

I'm done, we've been season ticket holders for the last 9 seasons, this is it.
:huh: :Violin: :Bam: :cry:
UE-grad
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball