Official 2016-17 MVCfans.com Prediction - 6th Place

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Who will finish in 6th place during the 2016-17 MVC men's basketball season?

Poll ended at September 28th, 2016, 6:46 pm

Illinois State
4%
Indiana State
29%
Missouri State
15%
Northern Iowa
4%
Southern Illinois
40%
Wichita State
8%

Total votes : 52

Re: Official 2016-17 MVCfans.com Prediction - 6th Place

Postby SubGod22 » September 27th, 2016, 8:03 am

glm38 wrote:
SubGod22 wrote:I agree that MSU, ISU and SIU could all go here. So the deciding factor for me was coaching and I went with the weak link even though they might actually have the most talent of the three.

I'm assuming you went with MSU. Based on past experiences I would agree with you. But I'm bullish on our returning and incoming talent. And as someone who watched every MSU game last year it does seem to me that Lusk was possibly growing into the HC role last year despite our record not being that good.

I think it's possible we really compete towards the top of the conference this year. But maybe I'm in fantasy land........

I think you have the talent to be in a battle for 3rd/4th. I like the roster for the most part but I still have little faith in Lusk at this point. I obviously haven't watched MSU as closely as you though so maybe you're right and he's growing as a coach. If he is, and continues, I expect MSU to have a solid year. Your young talent is a nice base to build off of and I hope more talent follows.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Blers » September 27th, 2016, 8:31 am

I had SIU at 7 so I have to pick them here at 6. I have a hard time believing 4-8 isn't gonna be a close race though. I think MSU has some pieces too good to ignore and have them finishing 4th. Though I really don't know much about Lusk.
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby glm38 » September 27th, 2016, 10:31 am

Here's an article on the Bear's incoming and returning talent.

http://www.midmajormadness.com/2016/9/2 ... is-kendrix
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby statefan01 » September 27th, 2016, 5:09 pm

statefan01
MVC Walk On
MVC Walk On

Postby bleach » September 28th, 2016, 11:01 am

I too am VERY bullish on our talent buthat would indicate Lusk has "grown" as a coach. I do believe the talent is as good as anyone in the league has but wouldn't be surprised at all if we finished 6th and Lusk got an extension because of improvement. We should be better than the last couple years just on talent alone and the schedule is weak enough we could win 20 games and greatly underachieve. Gotta give Lusk props as a recruiter but he must become a smarter coach.
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Postby All-MVC Fan » September 28th, 2016, 12:24 pm

Cdizzle wrote:After last year, I'm done giving Lansing the benefit of the doubt on coaching. What a s***-show. Turns out, Odum was just really smart.

Lansing isn't a good judge of talent, and he's too stubborn to change his "system" to fit the pieces he has. It's a fairly common problem in low-mid major coaches. He had a good player who made him look smarter than he is. The list of MVC coaches who have had this problem over the last 30 years could go on and on...
All-MVC Fan
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball