Which teams fans should be most upset with their start?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Which teams fans should be most upset with their start?

Postby Jays26 » December 6th, 2010, 10:16 am

cu8493 wrote:While CU fans may have hoped for more, I don't think they are anywhere near the most dissapointed. We hoped Korver would start shooting like a Korver, that Kenny Lawson would play like a senior big man, and that Jones would continue to improve from where he finished last year. But I think we are resigned to understanding that just isn't going to happen. With a new coach and a new system, its just going to take a while for the guys all to get on the same page, and I think the fans understand that. They also understand Altman didn't leave much behind when he bailed. For the most part, there has been more effort, more guys on the floor and more guys scraping for rebounds and loose balls than the last couple of years. As long as they show that kind of effort, fans will be patient - to a point. And, we have Doug's efforts and even Jahens' play to give us optimism for the future.

On the other hand, we do expect to go undefeated after Big E is eligible - so if we start off with three or four MVC losses, then you might start to see some whining. :)

Just to touch on the Korver issue. I had hoped for the same. In the NU game, he hit a couple big 3's and I thought "ok, he has finally got it" but no, later in the game, he had a couple of chances to take open 3's and he passes. He is a senior and should be stepping up, I just don't get what the problem is with him.
Jays26
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby hot nuts » December 6th, 2010, 10:47 am

45otseoj wrote:Whose fan base is still optimistic?

As a Illinois State fan I'm feeling more optimistic about where the birds will finish in the standings based on earlier expectations. While the team is not playing good basketball, it seems the rest of the pack (unfortunately) is coming back to us.
hot nuts
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Jet915 » December 6th, 2010, 10:50 am

Slightly disappointed in CU, didn't expect us to beat Northwestern, BYU, ISU red or Nebraska but I figured we would steal one or two of those games. Like someone else said, if GE comes in and we still suck like we do, I'll be disappointed.
Jet915
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aces1982 » December 6th, 2010, 11:34 am

How can UE fans not be optimistic? Everybody had them penciled in as 10th place team. So far they have the only big win by the MVC. I would say they are playing better then most people thought and playing better then a couple of the MVC teams. Yes, they just lost on the road to Air Force. But they shot terible and still had a chance to win the game. But it's a long season.
Aces1982
All MVC
All MVC

Postby bigdawg » December 6th, 2010, 11:55 am

Aces1982 wrote:

How can UE fans not be optimistic? Everybody had them penciled in as 10th place team. So far they have the only big win by the MVC. I would say they are playing better then most people thought and playing better then a couple of the MVC teams. Yes, they just lost on the road to Air Force. But they shot terible and still had a chance to win the game. But it's a long season.

If we revoted where would EU place? Probably still a Thursday finish. I agree things look more positive than negative compared to expectations, but I don't see a Emmenecker type run in your immediate future.
bigdawg
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Aces1982 » December 6th, 2010, 12:03 pm

bigdawg wrote:
Aces1982 wrote:

If we revoted where would EU place? Probably still a Thursday finish. I agree things look more positive than negative compared to expectations, but I don't see a Emmenecker type run in your immediate future.

I didn't say we were finishing in top 3. And I agree, most would have us in Thursday game. But moving out of celler is a step in right direction.

Being optimistic is not isolated to just teams that think they are going to win the league.
Aces1982
All MVC
All MVC

Postby bigdawg » December 6th, 2010, 12:16 pm

As a fan in the same boat, I agree that anything to be optimistic about is a positive.
bigdawg
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Ali » December 6th, 2010, 2:10 pm

I am very content with UNI so far and I think the best is yet to come. If anyone should be upset, it should be WSU simply because the rest of the MVC is killing their at large chances.
Ali
All MVC
All MVC

Postby isumvc1 » December 6th, 2010, 7:00 pm

Indiana State fans by far, we're awful, had so much to look forward to this season after FINALLY having a winning record in 2009-2010 and now this.....pathetic
isumvc1
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby DoubleJayAlum » December 7th, 2010, 8:33 am

I think most Creighton fans are still optimistic since Gregory Echenique hasn't played a game yet and Ethan Wragge has been out injured for most of the season so far. I didn't think we'd lose all four of the games we lost, but I also knew we weren't going to compete for an at large anyway, so it isn't that big of a deal yet.

I am disappointed in how bad our play on the wings has been. I am also extremely disappointed in the play of Kenny Lawson.
DoubleJayAlum
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball