Official 2016-17 MVCfans.com Prediction - 3rd Place

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Who will finish in 3rd place during the 2016-17 MVC men's basketball season?

Poll ended at October 13th, 2016, 7:54 am

Illinois State
42%
Northern Iowa
45%
Wichita State
13%

Total votes : 62

Re: Official 2016-17 MVCfans.com Prediction - 3rd Place

Postby WSUShox88 » October 11th, 2016, 9:14 am

It's not like the WSU talent circle is spitting out the Washington Generals this year.

Illinois State is the team/program that has something to prove. Until something changes, why else wouldn't you expect more of the same?
WSUShox88
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Red » October 11th, 2016, 9:49 am

WSUShox88 wrote:It's not like the WSU talent circle is spitting out the Washington Generals this year.

Illinois State is the team/program that has something to prove. Until something changes, why else wouldn't you expect more of the same?

I picked us here but I will say that the talent I saw on the court for WSU last year not named Baker or VanVleet doesn't scare me.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby WSUShox88 » October 11th, 2016, 9:50 am

Then Illinois State should win the league by about 5 games.
WSUShox88
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Wufan » October 11th, 2016, 10:37 am

Red wrote:
WSUShox88 wrote:It's not like the WSU talent circle is spitting out the Washington Generals this year.

I picked us here but I will say that the talent I saw on the court for WSU last year not named Baker or VanVleet doesn't scare me.

No concerns with Markis McDuffie, or Shaq Morris? Statistically, the two were quite similar to Hawkins/McIntosh from a scoring/rebounding perspective. You probably didn't see former top 100 recruit Landry Shamet, but he did average 9 points in 19 minutes last year for the three games he played.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Red » October 11th, 2016, 10:44 am

Wufan wrote:
Red wrote:

No concerns with Markis McDuffie, or Shaq Morris? Statistically, the two were quite similar to Hawkins/McIntosh from a scoring/rebounding perspective. You probably didn't see former top 100 recruit Landry Shamet, but he did average 9 points in 19 minutes last year for the three games he played.

I'm sure they will be good but they're not Baker/FVV. Plus I forgot about you losing Grady and Wessel. Seems to me like everything was geared toward last year and this will be a rebuild for HCGM. With the relative weakness in the MVC you can still finish near the top with your youth but I don't think WSU is the favorite.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » October 11th, 2016, 10:55 am

Actually everything is geared towards next year as the Shockers have no scholarship seniors. That's the only reasonable explanation for picking the Shockers second or lower.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BuBrave2006 » October 11th, 2016, 11:09 am

Wufan wrote:No concerns with Markis McDuffie, or Shaq Morris? Statistically, the two were quite similar to Hawkins/McIntosh from a scoring/rebounding perspective. You probably didn't see former top 100 recruit Landry Shamet, but he did average 9 points in 19 minutes last year for the three games he played.

Shaq Morris doesn't scare me at all until he gets more consistent. He has his good games and his bad games. If he figures it out, he could certainly All Valley, but until i see it every game (which may very well happen this year), I still have my doubts about him.
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » October 11th, 2016, 11:09 am

Red wrote:I'm sure they will be good but they're not Baker/FVV.

You hope.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Born2Shock » October 11th, 2016, 11:11 am

BuBrave2006 wrote:
Wufan wrote:No concerns with Markis McDuffie, or Shaq Morris? Statistically, the two were quite similar to Hawkins/McIntosh from a scoring/rebounding perspective. You probably didn't see former top 100 recruit Landry Shamet, but he did average 9 points in 19 minutes last year for the three games he played.

Shaq Morris doesn't scare me at all until he gets more consistent. He has his good games and his bad games. If he figures it out, he could certainly All Valley, but until i see it every game (which may very well happen this year), I still have my doubts about him.

If previous consistency is the benchmark, then ILSU as a whole isnt scary at all.

Also, I agree with you regarding Shaq.
Born2Shock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Cdizzle » October 11th, 2016, 11:11 am

BuBrave2006 wrote:

Yep. Although, 'All Valley' is pretty worthless. Tekele Cotton wasn't even 'All Valley.'
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball