Official 2016-17 MVCfans.com Prediction - 3rd Place

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Who will finish in 3rd place during the 2016-17 MVC men's basketball season?

Poll ended at October 13th, 2016, 7:54 am

Illinois State
42%
Northern Iowa
45%
Wichita State
13%

Total votes : 62

Re: Official 2016-17 MVCfans.com Prediction - 3rd Place

Postby hot nuts » October 12th, 2016, 8:54 am

Sports fans are a real insecure lot...always worried about what other fans think about their team.
hot nuts
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Cdizzle » October 12th, 2016, 9:04 am

hot nuts wrote:Sports fans are a real insecure lot...always worried about what other fans think about their team.

Ummmm, welcome to sports? Glad to have you aboard.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby hot nuts » October 12th, 2016, 9:09 am

Cdizzle wrote:
hot nuts wrote:Sports fans are a real insecure lot...always worried about what other fans think about their team.

Thanks! I think I'll stay!
hot nuts
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » October 12th, 2016, 9:10 am

hot nuts wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:

Thanks! I think I'll stay!

Unless you think your team is better than my team, in which case you can GTFO.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » October 12th, 2016, 10:17 am

Intangibles from a pg are just as important.

FVV had them - big time
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » October 12th, 2016, 10:23 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:Intangibles from a pg are just as important.

FVV had them - big time

I agree on both points. But I don't see how it's particularly relevant when comparing Frankamp to Lee.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Stickboy46 » October 12th, 2016, 1:27 pm

On the Frankamp vs Lee debate .. in my opinion, Frankamp has a higher ceiling than Lee, but Lee is the better PG right now. I've seen flashes of greatness from Frankamp .. but its just that Flashes, then mediocrity. Frankly, I don't want him running the point, I want him to do what he truly does best. That's to be a deep threat at all times. I want him to get back to his 49% from 3 that he had in High School (ok, not realistic, but to get close).

As far as replacing Baker/FVV. Its not going to happen right away, but Shamet and McDuffie have the talent/athleticism to be even better than those two if they can learn how to play the way Baker/FVV did. McDuffie is already closing one of the gaps that he needed to. He's not nearly as thin. He was 188 a year ago and hes up to 207 as of August.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » October 12th, 2016, 1:54 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:ove, WSU fans are posturing, ISU fans posturing, UNI fans posturing for their own benefits. Nobody is fully realistic about the concerns of their own team.

I'm not sure any UNI fan has "postured". I'd say we are cautiously optimistic but understand that a combination of a true freshman, JUCO transfer and red-shirt freshman seeing most of the PG duties is scary. We also know that the ceiling for McCloud is higher than any PG we've ever had. We know that he's the second most skilled PG we've ever had show up on campus. The only one "better" would be Wes and that's comparing Wes at the end of his senior year to Juwan.

There's going to be growing pains but find those on social media that truly following UNI basketball. I don't think there has ever been a player that anyone will remember with his upside at UNI.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Born2Shock » October 12th, 2016, 2:50 pm

uniftw wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:ove, WSU fans are posturing, ISU fans posturing, UNI fans posturing for their own benefits. Nobody is fully realistic about the concerns of their own team.

I'm not sure any UNI fan has "postured". I'd say we are cautiously optimistic but understand that a combination of a true freshman, JUCO transfer and red-shirt freshman seeing most of the PG duties is scary. We also know that the ceiling for McCloud is higher than any PG we've ever had. We know that he's the second most skilled PG we've ever had show up on campus. The only one "better" would be Wes and that's comparing Wes at the end of his senior year to Juwan.

There's going to be growing pains but find those on social media that truly following UNI basketball. I don't think there has ever been a player that anyone will remember with his upside at UNI.

GodMcCloudGod?

Sorry, couldnt resist :D

Somebody had to do it.
Born2Shock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby BirdsEyeView » October 13th, 2016, 7:33 am

Cdizzle wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:Intangibles from a pg are just as important.

FVV had them - big time

I agree on both points. But I don't see how it's particularly relevant when comparing Frankamp to Lee.

It's not really, just showing that going from FVV to Frankamp or whomever at point is more than just looking into a stat book and comparing his stats to other point guards in the league (ie - Lee).

A point guard must have leadership qualities, toughness qualities, basketball IQ and an overall competitiveness that spills over to their teammates.

FVV had all of those and it made his team way better (regardless of stats). Your Play Angry mantra was personified (not sure if that's the right word?) by FVV.

Do you have a replacement for those qualities beyond your "big time talent" players like McDuffie, Shamet, etc.? Only time will tell.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball