Official 2016-17 MVCfans.com Prediction - Champion

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Which team will win the MVC regular season championship?

Poll ended at October 19th, 2016, 2:33 pm

Illinois State
42%
Wichita State
58%

Total votes : 53

Re: Official 2016-17 MVCfans.com Prediction - Champion

Postby BEARZ77 » October 19th, 2016, 7:25 am

Aargh wrote:I think WSU is going to have a Jekkyl/Hyde kind of year. Some nights you'll wonder how they could beat anybody and some nights you'll wonder how anybody could beat them.

One intangible that's important is the knowledge of what it takes to win and the fortitude to do whatever it takes to use that knowledge every night of a pretty long and busy season. Baker and VanVleet had that understanding and a "refuse to lose" mentality.

The current Shockers haven't really had to dig deep into their own skills and put out some extra effort (that maybe they didn't even know they had) when that's what has to happen to win a game. Maybe it's been a little too easy for the returning players. If the Shox have developed an entitlement mentality, they won't win the league.

I agree with this perspective; the Shox are clearly still the prohibitive favorite and have the talent and depth to be as good as ever. But the type of guard play from an intangible standpoint that they got the last few years can be the difference between 16 wins and 13 wins very easily. Even in double digit wins there are those moments in games where making key decisions and plays determine the course of the game and FVV and Baker excelled in those moments. Talent alone doesn't make that happen; but it helps. I think the Shox will have nights where they look unbeatable because they have the talent and coaching to do so; but they may have a few more of those head scratching moments where they fail to seize control of a game they have in the past and that could be the difference in games being closer and then ultimately up for grabs.

I pretty much agree with how the voting has gone for this years standings. I think the Bears at 4 is both fair but also fragile, simply because of the Lusk factor. He just hasn't done much to inspire faith he can be consistent enough to win key games. However, I will also say I believe he has assembled the most talent other than WSU in the league heading into this year, as I believe we are deeper at positions 6-13 than the other 2-3 teams chasing the Shox. Players like Ruder and McCullough are after thoughts on this team and a guy like Church might not even start. Two players I think are vastly overlooked are Dixon and Johnson, as they may be the most complete players on the Bears roster. Dixon has really improved, is a 6'3 multi faceted swing guy who had a very respectable freshman year. Johnson may not put up huge scoring numbers but he's a 6'8/6'9 guy who rebounds very consistently and has perimeter skills in that he can get the rebound and lead the break on the dribble and make the pass to complete things. There just aren't many his size in our league with his skill set. These are two guys who will make plays behind the scenes and behind the guys like Kendrix and Miller and Rousseau. But again the Lusk factor keeps me and any Bears fan from feeling too confident we will be consistent enough to challenge at this point. I see us anywhere from 6th to 2nd and none of those would surprise me.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BirdsEyeView » October 19th, 2016, 8:05 am

Good point of view WuFan, CDizzle and Aargh.

Best of luck in the NonCon this season as we all root for each other to excel.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » February 27th, 2017, 2:49 pm

Everyone who voted in this poll was right.

The biggest takeaway from this thread was that most of us were expecting a little less from the top 2 and a little more from the middle of the pack.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby bigdawg » March 2nd, 2017, 12:12 pm

Fans did a pretty good job overall picking 1-10. Switch Sycs and Loyola at spots 5&7 and it's almost exact.
bigdawg
All MVC
All MVC

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball