Official 2016-17 MVCfans.com Prediction - Champion

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Which team will win the MVC regular season championship?

Poll ended at October 19th, 2016, 2:33 pm

Illinois State
42%
Wichita State
58%

Total votes : 53

Re: Official 2016-17 MVCfans.com Prediction - Champion

Postby unipanther99 » October 14th, 2016, 9:07 am

WSU. Because reasons.
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Blers » October 14th, 2016, 9:36 am

Stickboy46 wrote:
Blers wrote:Regular season? WSU

STL? Redbirds

Honest question, when was the last time ISU won STL?

My upset bet for STL is always UNI.

I actually struggled with this a bit myself. UNI is almost always my upset pick going in; I just feel like ISU has to be overdue for a win at this point; and if they were to meet WSU in the final, I think they are the team to have the most confidence/talent to beat them.
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby WSUShox88 » October 14th, 2016, 9:40 am

The problem with Illinois State is they seem to put all of their passion, ability, and effort in trying to beat WSU and then lay eggs in quarterfinal games vs Indiana State.
WSUShox88
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Wufan » October 14th, 2016, 10:38 am

ISUr has a very talented returning top 3/4 players. That's easily enough to win in St Louis. Do they have enough 5-12 to be good through the season? What say you RB faithful?
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » October 14th, 2016, 10:40 am

ISUr has the best 1-12 lineup in the league. Has been so for several years.

Or so I've been told.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Rollbird5 » October 14th, 2016, 12:25 pm

Wufan wrote:ISUr has a very talented returning top 3/4 players. That's easily enough to win in St Louis. Do they have enough 5-12 to be good through the season? What say you RB faithful?

To be decided lol I think our big 7 footed David Ndiaye will be much better this year providing some rim protection and rebounding tho he still is a little raw but has big potential. I think juco transfer Phil Fayne will be a solid backup big man as well, really athletic and goes to the hoop hard for rebounds or taking the ball to the hoop. Juco transfer DJ Clayton has D1 experience and should step in right away and fill DAP's role. Unsure on backup guard situation still tho, need Keyshawn evans to step up and freshman madison williams shows promise. All talk until we see these guys on the court tho. Outside shooting will still be hit or miss I would think which makes us prone to scoring slumps. Can't wait for the season tho
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » October 14th, 2016, 3:00 pm

To win this league, ISUr will need players to step up outside of Lee, McIntosh and Hawkins. Tony Wills needs to develop an offensive game and we need a suitable backup pg to Lee.

We have uncertainties just as WSU and UNI and everyone else. There is no guarantee like last year on who will emerge as the champion. Should be an exciting season.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WSUShox88 » October 14th, 2016, 3:49 pm

No guarantees like last year?

The two-time defending champion won the league by 4 games. That's about as predictable as you can get.
WSUShox88
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Wufan » October 14th, 2016, 5:59 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:To win this league, ISUr will need players to step up outside of Lee, McIntosh and Hawkins. Tony Wills needs to develop an offensive game and we need a suitable backup pg to Lee.

We have uncertainties just as WSU and UNI and everyone else. There is no guarantee like last year on who will emerge as the champion. Should be an exciting season.

Of course we all have uncertainties, however, my argument is and has been that WSU has fewer, or at least fewer risk in those uncertainties. McDuffie, Morris, Brown only have to show that they are comfortable being the focal point of the offense. That's it. Conner needs to do better than 6 points in 16 minutes, but he was a top 40 high school player. He probably hasn't hit his ceiling. Shamet is a freshman, but he was a top 80 recruit that averaged 9 points in 19 minutes before the injury. Kelly is a good defensive player and rebounder. We brought in a 6-9 JUCO top 10 recruit, a former top 100 guard that can kiss the rim, a JUCO all district PG, and a 6-5 PG that once scored 32 points in an 8 minute quarter. Then there's Rauno Nurger; probably further along than the Redbird center, and Eric Hamilton who, if he played for Drake or Bradley, would be there best interior player.

Certainly there are question marks there, but it would be incredibly bizarre for most of them to fail. Of course stars and ratings don't amount to a hill of beans, but if I haven't seen any of them play, I will take the top 100 recruits over the second team all-staters.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » October 14th, 2016, 6:00 pm

Rollbird5 wrote:
Wufan wrote:ISUr has a very talented returning top 3/4 players. That's easily enough to win in St Louis. Do they have enough 5-12 to be good through the season? What say you RB faithful?

To be decided lol I think our big 7 footed David Ndiaye will be much better this year providing some rim protection and rebounding tho he still is a little raw but has big potential. I think juco transfer Phil Fayne will be a solid backup big man as well, really athletic and goes to the hoop hard for rebounds or taking the ball to the hoop. Juco transfer DJ Clayton has D1 experience and should step in right away and fill DAP's role. Unsure on backup guard situation still tho, need Keyshawn evans to step up and freshman madison williams shows promise. All talk until we see these guys on the court tho. Outside shooting will still be hit or miss I would think which makes us prone to scoring slumps. Can't wait for the season tho

Thank you for the excellent rundown! It was informative.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball