Official 2016-17 MVCfans.com Prediction - Champion

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Which team will win the MVC regular season championship?

Poll ended at October 19th, 2016, 2:33 pm

Illinois State
42%
Wichita State
58%

Total votes : 53

Re: Official 2016-17 MVCfans.com Prediction - Champion

Postby Wufan » October 15th, 2016, 11:24 am

For those that are interested, a 3 minute video of the local sports writers covering Shocker media day...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ4rnxiCnyI

It covers the PG question, Markis McDuffie's potential, and thoughts on Shaw's ability to stay on the court.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby 2livewu » October 16th, 2016, 7:34 am

glm38 wrote:I think the championship is WSU's to lose. They do have question marks though. The biggest question to me (again just like last year) is post play. PG is also a concern but I do think Frankamp can adequately do the job.

But center/post? Shaq has been incredibly inconsistent and in and out of Marshall's doghouse for good reasons. Nurger to me is just a serviceable backup. There is a juco coming in but jucos usually need an adjustment period.

Some concerns to be sure but I think overall WSU will win the league again due to coaching and overall talent. But I think post play might limit their post season chances just as it did last year. And I think the top 3 teams may be in a really tight race for first this year.

Good stuff. Couple of add ons. Willis is further along than either Hall or Carter. We stole this kid. Agree about Shaq and PG. Consistency is questionable at least now. At least with Shaq we can go small with say Willis and Kelly and get by. Plenty of athleticism and enough size for the Valley at least. Not a good way to fight in March and April though, and that's measuring stick these days.

For me, intangibles are the biggest question. Obviously Fred (and Ron) were beyond special there. Not sure who picks up the slack this year, but the Reaves kid will at some point. Sorry, but you guys are gonna hate him.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » October 16th, 2016, 7:52 am

2livewu wrote:
glm38 wrote:I think the championship is WSU's to lose. They do have question marks though. The biggest question to me (again just like last year) is post play. PG is also a concern but I do think Frankamp can adequately do the job.

But center/post? Shaq has been incredibly inconsistent and in and out of Marshall's doghouse for good reasons. Nurger to me is just a serviceable backup. There is a juco coming in but jucos usually need an adjustment period.

Some concerns to be sure but I think overall WSU will win the league again due to coaching and overall talent. But I think post play might limit their post season chances just as it did last year. And I think the top 3 teams may be in a really tight race for first this year.

Good stuff. Couple of add ons. Willis is further along than either Hall or Carter. We stole this kid. Agree about Shaq and PG. Consistency is questionable at least now. At least with Shaq we can go small with say Willis and Kelly and get by. Plenty of athleticism and enough size for the Valley at least. Not a good way to fight in March and April though, and that's measuring stick these days.

For me, intangibles are the biggest question. Obviously Fred (and Ron) were beyond special there. Not sure who picks up the slack this year, but the Reaves kid will at some point. Sorry, but you guys are gonna hate him.

Well said. Willis is a man in the post. More of a 4 than a five, but probably lacking a bit of range. At 6-9, 225 he has enough size to be a good post. The goal is for Shaq to go 22-24 mpg, but that's the goal, not the expectation. He is in the best shape of his life, but...

Excellent point about intangibles, and I think one that several Valley fans on this forum have made. Shamet and Reaves appear to have them, but our likely PGs (Frankamp and Smith) are still developing them. Vocal leadership is still missing from the team. Reaves will be very good at some point, but it's not clear when. He's slight of build, 6-5, 190ish, and just came off of shoulder surgery, but has a good shot, great handles, and the is already the best post-passer on the team per HCGM. The ceiling for the The ceiling for the 17-18 Shockers is off the charts, but its far too early to tell how close they get to that ceiling.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » October 17th, 2016, 8:31 am

WSUShox88 wrote:No guarantees like last year?

The two-time defending champion won the league by 4 games. That's about as predictable as you can get.

Yes, last year was pretty much a guarantee you would win the league before the season even started. That's what I said.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby wgslaw » October 17th, 2016, 3:49 pm

Interesting interview with Coach Marshall. When asked if he thought WSU would be number 1, he said "not based on what I have seen in practice." He appeared subdued and discussed in response to questions three PG, Smith, Frankamp, and Reaves. As to Smith, he said he is quick and fast but it is another thing to know how to use these talents. As to Frankamp, he takes care of the ball but goes side to side rather than penetrate like FVV but shoots with anyone and is a scorer. As to Reaves, he is the weakest of the three and cannot lift due to shoulder problem, but best one to pass into the lane due to size, pretty good shooter and looks on some days as if he can help us but then gets hurt again. Said Shamet is a 2 and can play 3 but only PG in a pinch.
wgslaw
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Cdizzle » October 17th, 2016, 3:53 pm

wgslaw wrote:Interesting interview with Coach Marshall. When asked if he thought WSU would be number 1, he said "not based on what I have seen in practice."

He was referring to being the #1 defensive team in the country, as is clear in his response. I don't think that's shocking.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » October 17th, 2016, 7:11 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
wgslaw wrote:Interesting interview with Coach Marshall. When asked if he thought WSU would be number 1, he said "not based on what I have seen in practice."

He was referring to being the #1 defensive team in the country, as is clear in his response. I don't think that's shocking.

Yes, Marshall thinks his team is giving effort, but it's not always focused on a clear goal. He believes there is much work to be done to play defense as a unit.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Aargh » October 17th, 2016, 11:59 pm

There has been a lot I could have posted in the McDuffie/Shamet thread I started. Duff is getting recognition from MANY major media outlets about being one of the national breakout players to watch. Shamet is getting no pub, but every new player on the roster named Shamet as the player who would provide the biggest surprise this season.

This is looking like WSU's down year. PG is a legitimate concern. Next year, there's a JuCo pre-season AA coming in. Other future PG is a 6'5" guy who averaged 32.5 ppg in HS.\

Just for a point of reference, both Shamet and McDuffie were higher ranked coming out of HS than VanVleet and Baker, and both Baker and VanVleet are looking like legitimate shots at being on NBA rosters when the season starts.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » October 18th, 2016, 7:20 am

Aargh wrote:There has been a lot I could have posted in the McDuffie/Shamet thread I started. Duff is getting recognition from MANY major media outlets about being one of the national breakout players to watch. Shamet is getting no pub, but every new player on the roster named Shamet as the player who would provide the biggest surprise this season.

This is looking like WSU's down year. PG is a legitimate concern. Next year, there's a JuCo pre-season AA coming in. Other future PG is a 6'5" guy who averaged 32.5 ppg in HS.\

Just for a point of reference, both Shamet and McDuffie were higher ranked coming out of HS than VanVleet and Baker, and both Baker and VanVleet are looking like legitimate shots at being on NBA rosters when the season starts.

Some players pan out with their recruiting rankings (see Anthony Davis) and others do not despite their recruiting rankings (see Cliff Alexander #2 overall).

Those rankings mean nothing until they show up on game days.

But, glad to see you are one of the few non "butterflies and rainbows" WSU fans and are looking objectively at what could possibly happen without your AA's, especially with the point guard position. FVV was your floor coach, intangibles guy and leader of the "Play Angry" mantra. Replacing that is not as easy as hand picking a recruit and labeling him the next superstar.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WSUShox88 » October 18th, 2016, 9:05 am

The "butterflies and rainbows" fans are going off past results and a proven reloading program.

Your analysis is based on insecurity, hope, and wishful thinking.
WSUShox88
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball