SIU AD - WSU Too Big For Their Britches

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby Aargh » October 20th, 2016, 10:50 pm

“I think they’re a little bit big for their britches, and you can quote me on that,” Bell said.

While that may be true, when there's a bear in your campground, you don't poke it with a stick. I'd wager Barry isn't real fond of his boss right now.

Here's the whole article for context, if you need any.

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/shockwaves/article109484052.html
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: SIU AD - WSU Too Big For Their Britches

Postby LanceShock » October 21st, 2016, 6:50 am

Unfortunately for the SIU AD, it doesn't appear to have gotten much press coverage. Doing a quick google search on the quote only comes up with an article from the Wichita Eagle. Instead of getting some news coverage riding on WSU's coattails, the SIU AD only succeeded in poking the bear.

That being said, I imagine there are a lot of posters on here who will agree with the SIU AD.
LanceShock
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby hot nuts » October 21st, 2016, 7:44 am

I know the feeling, I've outgrown my britches. My doctor would suggest the shox just need to focus on portion control.
hot nuts
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ACECARD » October 21st, 2016, 7:45 am

LanceShock wrote:
That being said, I imagine there are a lot of posters on here who will agree with the SIU AD.

Yes, there is that possibility.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby WSUShox88 » October 21st, 2016, 8:11 am

Why in the world would WSU strive for the best and wanna leave this jewel of a league with like-minded piers?

Shameful.
WSUShox88
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Cdizzle » October 21st, 2016, 8:57 am

ACECARD wrote:
LanceShock wrote:

Yes, there is that possibility.

WSU is too big for this league. In every way. And it's not just the recent MBB success or the 2 decades of all-sports dominance.

It's the fact that most of the league would rather see WSU fail than their own programs try to catch them.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby All-MVC Fan » October 21st, 2016, 9:13 am

I hope the athletic departments and fan bases that feel the same way as this tool from SIU enjoy the return of the Valley to late 80's/early 90's relevance that we saw back then. When Creighton left, it was obvious that WSU was going to step up and take their place and continue to set the bar for the MVC. If they leave, the conference doesn't have any other school similarly committed to excellence.

I hope you all enjoy irrelevance...
All-MVC Fan
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Ricardo del Rio » October 21st, 2016, 11:34 am

Tommy, Tommy, Tommy.

I am pretty sure that you have better things to do, besides throwing rocks at WSU.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby unipanther99 » October 21st, 2016, 12:41 pm

It's a silly thing to say. But still, where is WSU going to go? It's like a rocky marriage... "I'm going to leave you some day! Now pass the mashed potatoes, they sure are good."
unipanther99
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Cdizzle » October 21st, 2016, 1:24 pm

unipanther99 wrote:It's a silly thing to say. But still, where is WSU going to go? It's like a rocky marriage... "I'm going to leave you some day! Now pass the mashed potatoes, they sure are good."

But then, that also doesn't take the full context of any of the statements WSU has actually made either.

The only people making statements that aren't politically correct are outside of WSU. Which is pretty funny. When it's an AD of a floundering (to be kind) athletic department, it just comes off as petty and whining, which is what this is. When it's someone in the league office, there is a problem. Unfortunately, both have happened.

But, I imagine the folks at WSU will continue to stay above the fray and explore whatever options are best for the school, including remaining in the MVC.

Boatright took the diplomatic course when asked to respond.
“I am not concerning myself with what Tommy said, I have a lot of respect for him and believe him to be a very competent administrator,” he said in an e-mail. “Our focus is on our institution and what we can do to continue striving for excellence.”

Edit: Also, I agree WSU has no where to go, unless a conference changes their mind. I think the AAC makes all the sense in the world, but I have no idea why it wouldn't already be in progress if it was a possibility. And I'd be fine with the Valley. It's been a good home for a long time. But goodness. Just read the Simmons contract extension thread.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball