Which roster add will have the biggest impact?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby Wufan » October 22nd, 2016, 8:57 pm

Which player (that didn't play in 2015-16) will make the biggest impact in 2016-17?

For WSU, it should be Landry Shamet. He's a 6-4, 190 lb RS freshman. He was rated #88 by Rivals coming out of high school and averaged 18, 5, and 4. He will likely spend most of the year as a shooting guard, but can also play PG and SF. He played the first three games (averaging 9 points and 3 rebounds) last year before a stress fracture in his foot ended his season.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Which roster add will have the biggest impact?

Postby DUBulldog » October 23rd, 2016, 7:27 am

For Drake, it would probably be De'tae McMurray, juco transfer point guard.

CJ Rivers only played in 2-3 conference games last season before breaking his hand. CJ's return will have a big impact on the Bulldogs. He's not a big numbers guy, but he does all the little things. Very smart, unselfish player.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Valleyball » October 23rd, 2016, 7:38 am

For Bradley there is a good chance Darrell Brown Jr will be the starting point guard.

JO Jo Mcglaston is also a possibility. (Formerly played at Utah State)

Plenty of room for guys to make an impact though.
Valleyball
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby ACECARD » October 23rd, 2016, 10:15 am

For the Aces probably a tossup between Solomon Hainna, a 6-6, 195 lb, forward, and Ryan Taylor, a 6-6, 195 forward Ohio U transfer. Hainna, a 4, and Taylor a 3. Both have added weight, and muscle, since the roster was published.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Rambler63 » October 23rd, 2016, 12:33 pm

Loyola will have 10 (!) newcomers on the roster eligible to play this year. This includes 6 freshmen, 2 transfers, and 4 new walk-ons.

Ostensibly, the top roster add is Clayton Custer, a 6'1" sophomore transfer point guard from Iowa State. He played alongside Loyola junior shooting guard Ben Richardson at Blue Valley Northwest in Overland Park, Kansas. However, I think as they get more comfortable at the D1 level-- maybe by the beginning or middle of conference season-- 6-5 juco forward Aundre Jackson or 6'6" 3-star freshman forward Matt Chastain could possibly rival Custer for the most impactful roster add.
Rambler63
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby isumvc1 » October 23rd, 2016, 5:30 pm

For the Sycamores I'd guess either TJ Bell or Bronson Kessinger will have the biggest impacts.

Both are 6-8" and were both lost last year due to injuries. Lord knows we need big men, Kessinger appears to be a pretty good shooter, so we'll see.
isumvc1
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » October 24th, 2016, 7:46 am

For the Bears two jucos[ Rousseau/Johnson] are likely to start and both will have significant impact in different ways. Rousseau is another small 5'10 but very talented guard who may be paired but also split time at the point with Miller. As most jucos, how quickly he fully acclimates to D-1 basketball remains to be seen, but he is very skilled and at times dynamic. He was the top player in Cinn. as a senior.

Johnson is perhaps the most complete player on the Bears. Listed at 6'9 he's not bulky or tremendously bouncy, He grew a lot since his junior year in HS and went from a 6'2 pg to a 6"9 stretch four in 3 years. He was the POY in Pennsylvania as a senior. He's a very active rebounder, can shoot the trey some[ over 40% last year] and handles the ball, passes, and moves up the court exceptionally well for someone his size. His game is subtle so I don't expect huge scoring numbers, but he'll get his points in a number of ways, rebound well, and make plays with the ball for others.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Blers » October 24th, 2016, 8:00 am

Rambler63 wrote:Loyola will have 10 (!) newcomers on the roster eligible to play this year. This includes 6 freshmen, 2 transfers, and 4 new walk-ons.

Ostensibly, the top roster add is Clayton Custer, a 6'1" sophomore transfer point guard from Iowa State. He played alongside Loyola junior shooting guard Ben Richardson at Blue Valley Northwest in Overland Park, Kansas. However, I think as they get more comfortable at the D1 level-- maybe by the beginning or middle of conference season-- 6-5 juco forward Aundre Jackson or 6'6" 3-star freshman forward Matt Chastain could possibly rival Custer for the most impactful roster add.

Took the words right out of my mouth! With so many new players it's hard to name one. But I think Clayton brings instant impact and gives Loyola it's first true point in years. From what fans have been able to see in a practice setting his a lights out shooter.

I also think Cam Satterwhite a 6'4'' 3 star guard with a 7'5'' wing span will have a huge impact on defense as well.
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby COUTEAU » October 24th, 2016, 9:58 am

Ryan Taylor
30 mins
15 plus
5 assists
half dozen rebounds per
I'm the mix, for new-comer of the year.

go aces
COUTEAU
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Cdizzle » October 24th, 2016, 10:39 am

COUTEAU wrote:Ryan Taylor
30 mins
15 plus
5 assists
half dozen rebounds per
I'm the mix, for new-comer of the year.

go aces

More than doubling his output for the year, in the same number of minutes, in a tougher league, seems pretty reasonable.

godTaylorgod
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball