2016 MVC Media Day - Preseason selections

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: 2016 MVC Media Day - Preseason selections

Postby tribecalledquest » November 4th, 2016, 11:12 am

Coach of the Year voting should ALWAYS start with the Coach who won the league.

Find reasons to NOT give it to him. The goal is to WIN THE LEAGUE. And, the biggest part of college basketball coaching is recruiting and building a roster...not just in season coaching.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby specialsauce » November 4th, 2016, 11:16 am

Marshall gets penalized for recruiting better players and having a better program playing against crappy competition in the conference.

I see both sides of the argument but it certainly shouldn't baffle you that fans of a team that won the league by 4 games, dominating it as they did, were a bit perplexed by the choice.
specialsauce
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby tribecalledquest » November 5th, 2016, 2:46 pm

specialsauce wrote:Marshall gets penalized for recruiting better players and having a better program playing against crappy competition in the conference.

I see both sides of the argument but it certainly shouldn't baffle you that fans of a team that won the league by 4 games, dominating it as they did, were a bit perplexed by the choice.

Right. Give me good reasons why Marshall shouldn't have won it.

I never buy into the "yeah but Team X was picked 9th and finished 4th!!!!" Who cares? It's 4th.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvcfan » November 5th, 2016, 6:57 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
specialsauce wrote:Marshall gets penalized for recruiting better players and having a better program playing against crappy competition in the conference.

Right. Give me good reasons why Marshall shouldn't have won it.

I never buy into the "yeah but Team X was picked 9th and finished 4th!!!!" Who cares? It's 4th.

It doesn't really matter anymore because it is a new season.
But this is a perfect example of why the conference used to be known as the VALLEY of DEATH.
Now it could be known as the Valley of Even.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » November 12th, 2016, 12:14 pm

If this prediction holds true we will have a private school party on Thursday of Arch Madness.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby bleach » November 13th, 2016, 4:07 pm

There are a lot of factors I consider when thinking of coach of the year.
I kind of think that if the rest of the coaches in the league could take your team and win the league, anything less than a title would be failure. Sure, he assembled that team but that was previous years. Hinson is no favorite of mine but that team wasn't top 4 in talent or expectations.
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Postby moshock » November 13th, 2016, 4:56 pm

bleach wrote:There are a lot of factors I consider when thinking of coach of the year.
I kind of think that if the rest of the coaches in the league could take your team and win the league, anything less than a title would be failure. Sure, he assembled that team but that was previous years. Hinson is no favorite of mine but that team wasn't top 4 in talent or expectations.

Your reasoning is flawed....recruiting is part of coaching.
moshock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Cdizzle » November 16th, 2016, 12:54 pm

Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and continue to not take Timmer over anyone on the WSU roster. If it makes anyone feel better, JR Simon is now a scholarship player.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball