2016 MVC Media Day - Preseason selections

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: 2016 MVC Media Day - Preseason selections

Postby Cdizzle » November 3rd, 2016, 1:39 pm

bigdawg wrote:
2livewu wrote:In what universe would anyone take Sean O'Brien in front of say Klint Carlson?

Even being a homer, I don't know what WSU player I wouldn't want over Reed Timmer.

I don't know Klint's game, but apparently people more knowledgeable than me felt Sean was worthy.

Just because someone has a vote doesn't make them more knowledgeable than anyone. Someone picked Loyola to win the league last year. I wouldn't call that "knowledgeable." I would call that an idiot with a vote.

Other people voted Hinson as the best coach in the league last year. I wouldn't call that "knowledgeable" either.

I'm not arguing for or against anyone here. Just pointing out that I disagree strongly with your reasoning.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BuBrave2006 » November 4th, 2016, 9:32 am

Cdizzle wrote:
bigdawg wrote:
2livewu wrote:Other people voted Hinson as the best coach in the league last year. I wouldn't call that "knowledgeable" either.

Just because he won Coach of the Year doesn't mean that people think he was the best coach. I don't think there's a person in the Valley that would rather have Hinson over Marshall. It just means that he did the best job getting his team to where they were, given expectations at the start of the year.
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » November 4th, 2016, 9:57 am

BuBrave2006 wrote:Just because he won Coach of the Year doesn't mean that people think he was the best coach. I don't think there's a person in the Valley that would rather have Hinson over Marshall. It just means that he did the best job getting his team to where they were, given expectations at the start of the year.

Expectations set by whom? The same 'knowledgeable' voting members? Hinson did not do the best job coaching last year. And it wasn't close. Such a green ribbon league. But I don't want to rehash that argument. The point I'm trying to make is that I don't think reasonably invested and knowledgeable fans should just assume that some university reporter with a vote knows more than they do.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SubGod22 » November 4th, 2016, 10:12 am

I don't understand my fellow Shocker fans beings so pissy about Hinson and the Coach of the Year voting. With SIU doing much better than expected you knew he would get a lot of votes and possibly win it. Yes, his record was inflated by a horrendous schedule but that hadn't stopped them from sucking before.

We all know Marshall has done the most and has been given the most tools in which to accomplish it. Of course some are going to look to reward others when an opportunity arises but it's not a knock on Marshall or Wichita.

All things being equal, nobody is taking Hinson over Marshall, but that's not what the award is based upon.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BuBrave2006 » November 4th, 2016, 10:49 am

Cdizzle wrote:
BuBrave2006 wrote:Just because he won Coach of the Year doesn't mean that people think he was the best coach. I don't think there's a person in the Valley that would rather have Hinson over Marshall. It just means that he did the best job getting his team to where they were, given expectations at the start of the year.

Expectations set by whom? The same 'knowledgeable' voting members? Hinson did not do the best job coaching last year. And it wasn't close. Such a green ribbon league. But I don't want to rehash that argument. The point I'm trying to make is that I don't think reasonably invested and knowledgeable fans should just assume that some university reporter with a vote knows more than they do.

Seriously...Wichita had two of the best players that the valley has seen in decades. While Marshall still is a fantastic coach, he didn't HAVE to do anything last season. Those guys were so good, superior coaching didn't matter. On top of the fact that, if you want to be technical...Wichta has regressed over the last two seasons (undefeated...17-1...16-2). When the bar is set so high...you don't have any room to exceed expectations.

No one expected Southern to be good last year...voters...fans...the nine other teams, and yet the finished 4th. Hinson did a great job coaching "sub-par" players (as compared to Wichita).

Now I'm not saying that Marshall doesn't deserve credit for being a great coach; I honestly don't know which one i would have voted for if i had a vote, but I can certainly understand both arguments for each coach, and the fact that some people simply can't understand why Hinson won the award just absolutely baffles me.
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BuBrave2006 » November 4th, 2016, 10:51 am

Cdizzle wrote:But I don't want to rehash that argument.

I do want to rehash it, lol.

Only one more week until we can start actually debating basketball again.
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

Postby tribecalledquest » November 4th, 2016, 11:12 am

Coach of the Year voting should ALWAYS start with the Coach who won the league.

Find reasons to NOT give it to him. The goal is to WIN THE LEAGUE. And, the biggest part of college basketball coaching is recruiting and building a roster...not just in season coaching.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby specialsauce » November 4th, 2016, 11:16 am

Marshall gets penalized for recruiting better players and having a better program playing against crappy competition in the conference.

I see both sides of the argument but it certainly shouldn't baffle you that fans of a team that won the league by 4 games, dominating it as they did, were a bit perplexed by the choice.
specialsauce
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby tribecalledquest » November 5th, 2016, 2:46 pm

specialsauce wrote:Marshall gets penalized for recruiting better players and having a better program playing against crappy competition in the conference.

I see both sides of the argument but it certainly shouldn't baffle you that fans of a team that won the league by 4 games, dominating it as they did, were a bit perplexed by the choice.

Right. Give me good reasons why Marshall shouldn't have won it.

I never buy into the "yeah but Team X was picked 9th and finished 4th!!!!" Who cares? It's 4th.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvcfan » November 5th, 2016, 6:57 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
specialsauce wrote:Marshall gets penalized for recruiting better players and having a better program playing against crappy competition in the conference.

Right. Give me good reasons why Marshall shouldn't have won it.

I never buy into the "yeah but Team X was picked 9th and finished 4th!!!!" Who cares? It's 4th.

It doesn't really matter anymore because it is a new season.
But this is a perfect example of why the conference used to be known as the VALLEY of DEATH.
Now it could be known as the Valley of Even.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball