Two More ISU Players Arrested

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Two More ISU Players Arrested

Postby uniftw » May 11th, 2018, 11:57 am

I covered this last year. Teddy couldnt play at ISU last year. He didnt meet eligibiltiy requirements for his conditional transfer and redshirt situation. Which firther gors to show how poor the grad transfer is and how schools will bend academic standards target players in
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Jsnhbe1Birds » May 11th, 2018, 12:14 pm

uniftw wrote:I covered this last year. Teddy couldnt play at ISU last year. He didnt meet eligibiltiy requirements for his conditional transfer and redshirt situation. Which firther gors to show how poor the grad transfer is and how schools will bend academic standards target players in

Don't buy it. If he can get eligible at Boston College (did he get his 6th year next season?) then why couldn't he get eligible in the summer for ISUr? I think he could of played after becoming eligible if he chose to. But, he saw Lee and McIntosh leaving and said what's the point -- might as well test yourself against tougher competition. He was actually fairing better in the ACC than McIntosh did in the Pac-12 before going down for the year. I'm exciting to see him play this season if he gets his 6th year. Maybe be able to catch on with a summer league team and play in the G-League if he has a good year.
Jsnhbe1Birds
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbirdgrad » May 11th, 2018, 2:50 pm

Mikovio is allergic to BS and Dbags yet he supports Bradley's coach.

Kinda conflicting, dont you think?
Redbirdgrad
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BradleyFan71 » May 11th, 2018, 10:44 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:
-One fan is not a reflection of the whole program.

-Waiting for the truth to come out on this case is probably wise here. A practicing attorney of law should also know the phrase "innocent until proven guilty" before casting judgement on this specific case

-Generally speaking, however, Muller brings in (or already has) what appears to be one kid per year that makes poor decisions. That does not mean that his entire roster of 14 (13 scholarships + walk-on) are not upstanding student-athletes. 1/14 = 7% of his roster

-Finally, it's clear to me BCPanther, all Bradley fans, and some others truly hate ISUr. Does not mean the whole fan-base should be hated, because we either (a) grew up in Bloomington-Normal (myself) or (b) went to school there. The same can be said for Shocker Nation. Yes, Shocker Fever is the biggest douche known to man, but he is not a reflection on the ENTIRE fan base. He is just the most vocal message board troll there is.
You can hate ISUr for having bad apples or good apples that make poor decisions. You can hate Muller for recruiting these risky kids rather than upstanding Iowa farm boys, but to generalize a fan base due to message board posts is asinine. I would assume less than 5% of those that follow our programs actually post on these message boards...think about that when you generalize.

You just generalized the entire Bradley fan base after complaining about people generalizing the entire ISUr fan base.

You noticed that too!
BradleyFan71
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby uniftw » May 13th, 2018, 9:11 pm

I've covered that Teddy Hawkins case so in depth in the past on this site I can't believe people still think he could have played last year at ISU.

A post, on the topic, from a year ago by me, on this board.

uniftw wrote:
Redhawk wrote:
UNIFTW...I trust your knowledge of NCAA rules but Boston College seems to think he can play another year:

From the Boston Herald:

Illinois State grad transfer Deontae Hawkins committed to Boston College on Monday, according to multiple reports. The 6-foot-8, 220-pound stretch forward will be immediately eligible for the Eagles, and has one season of eligibility remaining.

Sweet jesus, this isn't hard to understand.

He can't play another year at Illinois State. He was a non-qualifier out of prep school (which is unbelievable to be honest). Because of that he had to sit out a year due to being a nonqualifier that year doesn't get to count as a redshirt year, so to speak. It's a dead year but he can't redshirt and get an extra year on top of that dead year. It can become a "redshirt" if certain criteria are met - GPA and graduation date

Due to the dead year he could still play 4 years at Illinois State IF...and only if...he kept his GPA at a certain level and graduated within 8 semesters, including his dead year (summer not included...call it 11 semesters if you want to include summers).

His GPA was not kept to the standard required by the NCAA. They may have granted a special waiver to get a 4th playing year at Illinois State if he was going to graduate in 8 semesters. He very clearly did not graduate in 8 semesters

That means his time at Illinois State is done. He got 4 seasons and that's it.

HOWEVER, that isn't to say he couldn't gradate in 9 (12) and then enroll elsewhere using the graduate waiver - like he is apparently doing.

He spent 4 years at Illinois State, played 3. He gets 5 years to play 4, thus he can play under the graduate student rule. It essentially turns into the dead year being a redshirt year, even though it technically wasn't a redshirt year.

That isn't to say he is actually qualified as a grad student. That isn't to say Boston College isn't completely stretching their entrance requirements to get him in - not that they are alone in that regard by any means. I would guess he wouldn't get into any reputable grad program if he was applying as a general student, given his criminal and academic history the last 4-5 years, regardless of field of study.

So not only did he squirm around the conference transfer rules that should have cost him his first year playing at ISUr on top of the year he had to sit out (because he created a murky grey area that no one quite agreed fully on, which is what created this whole can be play/can he not/he can but only not against WSU/he can against everyone because that was a strange ruling). He gets around the being a non-qualifier and gets the year he shouldn't on the back end of his career due to another school giving their academia the middle finger for someone who wouldn't be accepted without athletics pushing it through and won't graduate and won't go to classes.

Good to see he's learning his lesson for being a crap student who can't stay out of legal trouble and turning into an upstanding young man. :roll:
[/quote]

It's sad that outsiders know the status of ISUr players better than ISU fans. So again, no. Teddy WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN ELIGIBLE TO PLAY AT ILLINOIS STATE LAST YEAR. Simply because he found a school to accept him as a grad student doesn't mean he was academically a grad student. I would put a lot of money I don't yet have that he was only accepted to BC to play basketball and not actually be a masters level student. Kids who were non-qualifiers out of HS don't turn into graduate level students in 4 years - especially given his apparent inability to learn how to handle himself off the court.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Ricardo del Rio » May 13th, 2018, 9:22 pm

uniftw wrote:I've covered that Teddy Hawkins case so in depth in the past on this site I can't believe people still think he could have played last year at ISU.

A post, on the topic, from a year ago by me, on this board.

uniftw wrote:
Redhawk wrote:
UNIFTW...I trust your knowledge of NCAA rules but Boston College seems to think he can play another year:

From the Boston Herald:

Illinois State grad transfer Deontae Hawkins committed to Boston College on Monday, according to multiple reports. The 6-foot-8, 220-pound stretch forward will be immediately eligible for the Eagles, and has one season of eligibility remaining.

Sweet jesus, this isn't hard to understand.

He can't play another year at Illinois State. He was a non-qualifier out of prep school (which is unbelievable to be honest). Because of that he had to sit out a year due to being a nonqualifier that year doesn't get to count as a redshirt year, so to speak. It's a dead year but he can't redshirt and get an extra year on top of that dead year. It can become a "redshirt" if certain criteria are met - GPA and graduation date

Due to the dead year he could still play 4 years at Illinois State IF...and only if...he kept his GPA at a certain level and graduated within 8 semesters, including his dead year (summer not included...call it 11 semesters if you want to include summers).

His GPA was not kept to the standard required by the NCAA. They may have granted a special waiver to get a 4th playing year at Illinois State if he was going to graduate in 8 semesters. He very clearly did not graduate in 8 semesters

That means his time at Illinois State is done. He got 4 seasons and that's it.

HOWEVER, that isn't to say he couldn't gradate in 9 (12) and then enroll elsewhere using the graduate waiver - like he is apparently doing.

He spent 4 years at Illinois State, played 3. He gets 5 years to play 4, thus he can play under the graduate student rule. It essentially turns into the dead year being a redshirt year, even though it technically wasn't a redshirt year.

That isn't to say he is actually qualified as a grad student. That isn't to say Boston College isn't completely stretching their entrance requirements to get him in - not that they are alone in that regard by any means. I would guess he wouldn't get into any reputable grad program if he was applying as a general student, given his criminal and academic history the last 4-5 years, regardless of field of study.

So not only did he squirm around the conference transfer rules that should have cost him his first year playing at ISUr on top of the year he had to sit out (because he created a murky grey area that no one quite agreed fully on, which is what created this whole can be play/can he not/he can but only not against WSU/he can against everyone because that was a strange ruling). He gets around the being a non-qualifier and gets the year he shouldn't on the back end of his career due to another school giving their academia the middle finger for someone who wouldn't be accepted without athletics pushing it through and won't graduate and won't go to classes.

Good to see he's learning his lesson for being a crap student who can't stay out of legal trouble and turning into an upstanding young man. :roll:

It's sad that outsiders know the status of ISUr players better than ISU fans. So again, no. Teddy WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN ELIGIBLE TO PLAY AT ILLINOIS STATE LAST YEAR. Simply because he found a school to accept him as a grad student doesn't mean he was academically a grad student. I would put a lot of money I don't yet have that he was only accepted to BC to play basketball and not actually be a masters level student. Kids who were non-qualifiers out of HS don't turn into graduate level students in 4 years - especially given his apparent inability to learn how to handle himself off the court.[/quote]

Grad will explain it to you.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby redrocks » May 13th, 2018, 10:57 pm

Important stuff.
redrocks
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby BirdsEyeView » May 14th, 2018, 7:47 am

BradleyFan71 wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:
-One fan is not a reflection of the whole program.

-Waiting for the truth to come out on this case is probably wise here. A practicing attorney of law should also know the phrase "innocent until proven guilty" before casting judgement on this specific case

-Generally speaking, however, Muller brings in (or already has) what appears to be one kid per year that makes poor decisions. That does not mean that his entire roster of 14 (13 scholarships + walk-on) are not upstanding student-athletes. 1/14 = 7% of his roster

-Finally, it's clear to me BCPanther, all Bradley fans, and some others truly hate ISUr. Does not mean the whole fan-base should be hated, because we either (a) grew up in Bloomington-Normal (myself) or (b) went to school there. The same can be said for Shocker Nation. Yes, Shocker Fever is the biggest douche known to man, but he is not a reflection on the ENTIRE fan base. He is just the most vocal message board troll there is.
You can hate ISUr for having bad apples or good apples that make poor decisions. You can hate Muller for recruiting these risky kids rather than upstanding Iowa farm boys, but to generalize a fan base due to message board posts is asinine. I would assume less than 5% of those that follow our programs actually post on these message boards...think about that when you generalize.

You just generalized the entire Bradley fan base after complaining about people generalizing the entire ISUr fan base.

You noticed that too!

Bradley fans hating ISUr basketball team/coach is pretty common knowledge, no? You will always hate ISUr as we are nearby rivals. Is this some sort of secret that I wasn't supposed to generalize?

Hating all fans of said program is different than hating a program's players/coaches. For example, I hate Tornado for the same reason I hate Shocker Fever, but doesn't mean I wouldn't go have a beer at Arch Madness with a random Bradley fan just because they are from Peoria, IL or went to school there. See the difference?
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball