Two More ISU Players Arrested

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Two More ISU Players Arrested

Postby Play Angry » February 3rd, 2017, 12:44 pm

Knight missing 0 regular season games for punching a woman and resisting arrest (he pled guilty and was promptly reinstated in time for the opener against VCU, if I am remembering correctly) was, IMO, the most egregious failure to punish an MVC athlete in memory. I am sure if someone reaches back several decades or more, similar embarrassments went unpunished. However, this set the tone for future lackluster (or totally absent) attempts at imposing discipline and control under the current regime.

Back to traffic violations.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Stickboy46 » February 3rd, 2017, 12:54 pm

BradleyFan71 wrote:
Blers wrote:Personally I have no patience for someone driving drunk. Had Frankamp or Hawkins hit/killed someone while driving intoxicated i highly doubt they'd ever see the court again. But they and everyone else around them got lucky... It's really not that hard to have someone else drive you home. I mean if you're absolutely in trouble i'm sure they could reach a coach if no friends are available. They'd rather take care of it internally than have something like that happen.

It's also not difficult to get car insurance, unless of course you're known to disregard many different laws of operating a motor vehicle.
Why was he driving drunk on a suspended license anyways. Seems like a pretty intelligent move all the way around.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure the driving drunk and suspended license were two different incident. I think his license was suspended BECAUSE he drove drunk before. Either way, dumb move.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BradleyFan71 » February 3rd, 2017, 1:32 pm

Stickboy46 wrote:
BradleyFan71 wrote:
Blers wrote:Personally I have no patience for someone driving drunk. Had Frankamp or Hawkins hit/killed someone while driving intoxicated i highly doubt they'd ever see the court again. But they and everyone else around them got lucky... It's really not that hard to have someone else drive you home. I mean if you're absolutely in trouble i'm sure they could reach a coach if no friends are available. They'd rather take care of it internally than have something like that happen.

It's also not difficult to get car insurance, unless of course you're known to disregard many different laws of operating a motor vehicle.
Why was he driving drunk on a suspended license anyways. Seems like a pretty intelligent move all the way around.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure the driving drunk and suspended license were two different incident. I think his license was suspended BECAUSE he drove drunk before. Either way, dumb move.

I was referring to that first DUI incident. He was driving under the influence while his license was suspended. Brilliant!

All of these charges were filed on 10/24/16:

- DRVG UNDER INFLU OF ALCOHOL
- DRVG UNDER INFLU/BAC 0.08
- DRIVING ON SUSPENDED LICENSE
- ILLEGAL TRANSPORTATION / CARRY ALCOHOLIC LIQUOR / DRIVER
BradleyFan71
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Stickboy46 » February 3rd, 2017, 1:39 pm

BradleyFan71 wrote:
Stickboy46 wrote:
BradleyFan71 wrote:It's also not difficult to get car insurance, unless of course you're known to disregard many different laws of operating a motor vehicle.

I was referring to that first DUI incident. He was driving under the influence while his license was suspended. Brilliant!

All of these charges were filed on 10/24/16:

- DRVG UNDER INFLU OF ALCOHOL
- DRVG UNDER INFLU/BAC 0.08
- DRIVING ON SUSPENDED LICENSE
- ILLEGAL TRANSPORTATION / CARRY ALCOHOLIC LIQUOR / DRIVER

I stand corrected. So he's been cited for driving on a suspended license twice as he had this on Jan 27th also.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » February 3rd, 2017, 2:27 pm

Funny that he brought up Carlson who was in the same position as Hawkins. Got an OWI during the offseason. Guess what he was suspended for 3 actual games to start the season. How many actual games has Hawkins missed?

Also like I said UNI had Jordan Eglseder get arrested for OWI around February and he was also suspended for 3 real games. Looks like UNI has a stance on OWI that Illinois State does not have. And I can guarantee you no matter what the next offense was neither Carlson or Eglseder would have played in games following that second citation.

As was said Carlson got benched for just getting his 2nd technical of the season. I am assuming if he got in any trouble with the law he would miss at least ONE game and probably more. Especially if it was the 2nd time in the same school year. The lengths these ISUr fans go to think their team isn't just turning a blind eye to what it's players do is crazy.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Redhawk » February 3rd, 2017, 2:54 pm

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:Funny that he brought up Carlson who was in the same position as Hawkins.

I brought up Carlson and Frankamp exactly because they were in a similar situation and to learn from Shocker and Panther fans as to what punishment they would deem responsible if hypothetically either of them got a traffic ticket. Most of the responses were at least a one game suspension which I agree with.

Whether you, I or anyone else agrees Hawkins is playing Saturday night. Should we as Redbird fans not watch the game or boycott home games? Please enlighten me on the proper course of action.
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby shocktheheart » February 3rd, 2017, 3:02 pm

Redhawk wrote:
UNIFanSince1983 wrote:Funny that he brought up Carlson who was in the same position as Hawkins.

I brought up Carlson and Frankamp exactly because they were in a similar situation and to learn from Shocker and Panther fans as to what punishment they would deem responsible if hypothetically either of them got a traffic ticket. Most of the responses were at least a one game suspension which I agree with.

Whether you, I or anyone else agrees Hawkins is playing Saturday night. Should we as Redbird fans not watch the game or boycott home games? Please enlighten me on the proper course of action.

Good question...I don't know what the proper course of action is but I would be ashamed that my coach is not teaching them to be men. I have my son going off to college to run next year and I expect my son to continue to learn to be a man. If my son was in the similar situation I hope the coach would suspend him after already receiving a DUI. Going into college you should learn to grow up and not be given a free pass just because you are an athlete. I wonder how Hawkins will turn out after leaving Illinois St. I hope for the better, but he is not learning the correct lesson from a mentor and an authority figure.
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » February 3rd, 2017, 3:04 pm

Redhawk wrote:

For the record, no one is saying Hawkins should be sitting Saturday night. If a suspension were to have occurred, they could have handled it during the UE or UNI games.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redhawk » February 3rd, 2017, 3:27 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
Redhawk wrote:

For the record, no one is saying Hawkins should be sitting Saturday night. If a suspension were to have occurred, they could have handled it during the UE or UNI games.

Agreed...was just trying to get a feel for what other team's fans think the appropriate punishment should have been. In actuality, if Doug Elgin hadn't caved to the other Valley coaches Hawkins would be sitting out this game!
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby TheObserver » February 3rd, 2017, 3:37 pm

Redhawk wrote:

Here's the thing the majority of Redbird fans are failing to understand. This wasn't some failure-to-signal traffic ticket. It was ticket for driving on a suspended license because of a DUI. It was a punishment from seriously breaking the law and threatening the safety of others. It wasn't his first ticket. It wasn't his first run-in with the law. In fact, to the contrary, this is the 12th violation he has gotten in under a year. What message is being sent to him that this is unacceptable? Well, clearly nothing because it keeps happening. Why should he change when his coach allows him to do whatever the hell he wants without any repercussions? He can still drive while not supposed to and never feel threatened about missing a game in which he's receiving financial aid for. That's the problem. A simple traffic ticket is one thing. This is MUCH more than a simple traffic ticket. There's plenty of history behind this. Redbird fans, just like Muller, prefer sweeping things under rugs and forgetting about anything in the past.

Horrible, horrible way to instill discipline and run a college basketball program.
TheObserver
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball