Two More ISU Players Arrested

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Two More ISU Players Arrested

Postby BuBrave2006 » February 2nd, 2017, 4:33 pm

UNIFanSince1983 wrote:This is how you handle and mid season arrest with class and dignity. Especially when you are in the running for a conference championship. Yes 3 games in the middle of February for a misdemeanor OWI with the team looking at their first regular season MVC Championship.

http://www.thegazette.com/2010/02/14/un ... owi-arrest

This was in Peoria after a loss to Bradley, I believe.

UNI went 2-1 in the three games following, including a 55-54 loss at Evansville, who finished 3-15 in conference that season.
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Stickboy46 » February 2nd, 2017, 4:40 pm

Old School MVC wrote:
Stickboy46 wrote:
Old School MVC wrote:I think I heard his punishment was no rest during the game on Saturday.

In all honesty I agree with Recon Redbird in the fact as a stand alone incident this is not much of an issue. Problem is that it is not a stand alone incident. I by no means expect anything to happen with this. As a matter of fact would anyone want anything to happen to their best player for that offense the week of the game for the title? The answer is NO. I do not agree with Muller on a lot of his discipline, but I would say this is the best time to handle this one "Internally."

So winning > morals .. .got it.

You guys are probably right, if Markis McDuffie gets a Jay Walk ticket the week of Arc Madness I am sure Mrr. Moralss Gregg Marshall would suspend him for the tournament. You know, Morals are more important than a victory.

If we compare apples to apples, if Frankamp violated team rules this week, I would expect him to get suspended. If he then got arrested again the week before Arch Madness for driving with a suspended license, I would want him done for the year.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Stickboy46 » February 2nd, 2017, 4:44 pm

BCPanther wrote:Gregg Marshall drives me endlessly crazy on the sidelines, but I have never once questioned how he runs his program and the standards that he expects guys to live up to. I would assume Shocker fans feel the same way about Ben Jacobson.

Muller, and quite frankly that entire athletic department, are seen as a joke when it comes to discipline and doing things the right way. That department has put winning above everything else. It's a shame that someone in the hierarchy of the university hasn't stood up and demanded that student athletes represent them better.

This .. I may not enjoy the way that Jacobson coaches his team to play, but i have no problem with how he handles his program.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby TheObserver » February 2nd, 2017, 4:56 pm

BCPanther wrote:Gregg Marshall drives me endlessly crazy on the sidelines, but I have never once questioned how he runs his program and the standards that he expects guys to live up to. I would assume Shocker fans feel the same way about Ben Jacobson.

Muller, and quite frankly that entire athletic department, are seen as a joke when it comes to discipline and doing things the right way. That department has put winning above everything else. It's a shame that someone in the hierarchy of the university hasn't stood up and demanded that student athletes represent them better.

Agreed totally.

Marshall and Jacobsen have established good programs on solid foundations. They demand respect from their players and it's paid back by how good the programs' images are.

Illinois State and Muller have developed a win-at-all-costs program. It's not respected and looks very negatively on the outside. It's been 20 years since Illinois State has been relevant so it's clear how desperate things have become. The problem is if they don't cash in on one of their greatest years ever and make the tournament, not only are they still perennial losers but they're losers with a criminally bad reputation.
TheObserver
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Old School MVC » February 2nd, 2017, 5:41 pm

I totally agree that Hawkins should have been suspended earlier in the year for the DUI (more than the exhibition game), and I think in the the other incident they should have been tossed for theft. I actually stated that earlier in this thread back in Sept or October. What I am saying is that I do not think driving under a suspended license is something I would suspend someone over. StickyBoy and I disagree on that. I usually agree with most of what he says. I just would not suspend a for this offense at the College level. If he got another DUI, then pack your bags.
Old School MVC
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Stickboy46 » February 2nd, 2017, 8:39 pm

Old School MVC wrote:I totally agree that Hawkins should have been suspended earlier in the year for the DUI (more than the exhibition game), and I think in the the other incident they should have been tossed for theft. I actually stated that earlier in this thread back in Sept or October. What I am saying is that I do not think driving under a suspended license is something I would suspend someone over. StickyBoy and I disagree on that. I usually agree with most of what he says. I just would not suspend a for this offense at the College level. If he got another DUI, then pack your bags.

To be clear.. I would not suspend him if that was his only offense. The fact that it's his 3rd (at least) offense makes it a different story.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » February 3rd, 2017, 8:18 am

Redbirds4Life wrote:It's not a felony, nor a misdemeanor. Just a petty offense. I am sure that Dirty Dan isn't the only coach in America dealing with this kind of problem, I'm sure other teams have to deal with the same kind of crap, and we all know Dirty Dan isn't going to be the police on this one. Another thing is, what was Deontae's story? What if Deontae told Dan it wasn't a big deal and huge misunderstanding? He has to take his players word.

From the outside, I get that Deontae doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt, but if it isn't a felony or a misdemeanor, its not something you can suspend him for. Are you going to give him 2 games for a speeding ticket?

You mean like your football team that reinstated a football player within 2 hours of him pleading guilty to felony distribution of drugs?
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » February 3rd, 2017, 8:40 am

uniftw wrote:
Redbirds4Life wrote:It's not a felony, nor a misdemeanor. Just a petty offense. I am sure that Dirty Dan isn't the only coach in America dealing with this kind of problem, I'm sure other teams have to deal with the same kind of crap, and we all know Dirty Dan isn't going to be the police on this one. Another thing is, what was Deontae's story? What if Deontae told Dan it wasn't a big deal and huge misunderstanding? He has to take his players word.

From the outside, I get that Deontae doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt, but if it isn't a felony or a misdemeanor, its not something you can suspend him for. Are you going to give him 2 games for a speeding ticket?

You mean like your football team that reinstated a football player within 2 hours of him pleading guilty to felony distribution of drugs?

That one had to be the worst of them all...much worse than anything Muller has done given the ridiculous circumstances. Wichita fans don't follow college football though, so their focus has been on Muller.

For those who don't know, Coprich tried to sell drugs to a police informant....then somehow got reinstated after pleading guilty. Almost like that was part of his plea bargain....reinstatement to the team.

Here is the article:
http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/colleg ... 0ddca.html

As a coach for a different sport, it's hard for me to truly support the head coaches for Football/Basketball given the leniency they have allowed to simply win more games. However, not all ISU sports have this problem...I just sent one of my players to play soccer at ISUr this week on signing day and I am very confident of that program and it's recent success in the MVC and NCAAs.

With all that said, even with the dumb apples (Hawkins) this team is still very likable. This SportsCenter pub they received on Wednesday night is heartwarming.
Paris Lee and the majority of this roster should not be dragged into this through association.

For those who have not seen this, watch it...and please no snarky comments from that classless WSU fan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3rZMWKyusk
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redhawk » February 3rd, 2017, 8:58 am

Traffic tickets? We're talking about traffic tickets????

Hawkins got a DUI this off season...same as both Conner Frankamp and Klint Carlson did in 2015.
Hawkins was given a one game suspension...Carlson got 3 games and Frankamp was a unique situation
but I am sure that Marshall invoked some form of punishment during his transfer year.

Let me ask you Shocker and Panther fans. If either Frankamp or Carlson got a moving violation now how many games should they be suspended or should they be kicked off the team?
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby shocktheheart » February 3rd, 2017, 8:59 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:
uniftw wrote:

That one had to be the worst of them all...much worse than anything Muller has done given the ridiculous circumstances. Wichita fans don't follow college football though, so their focus has been on Muller.

For those who don't know, Coprich tried to sell drugs to a police informant....then somehow got reinstated after pleading guilty. Almost like that was part of his plea bargain....reinstatement to the team.

Here is the article:
http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/colleg ... 0ddca.html

As a coach for a different sport, it's hard for me to truly support the head coaches for Football/Basketball given the leniency they have allowed to simply win more games. However, not all ISU sports have this problem...I just sent one of my players to play soccer at ISUr this week on signing day and I am very confident of that program and it's recent success in the MVC and NCAAs.

With all that said, even with the dumb apples (Hawkins) this team is still very likable. This SportsCenter pub they received on Wednesday night is heartwarming.
Paris Lee and the majority of this roster should not be dragged into this through association.

For those who have not seen this, watch it...and please no snarky comments from that classless WSU fan.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3rZMWKyusk

Congrats on sending a kid to play D1 soccer
“I’m gonna punch you in the ovary, that’s what I’m gonna do. A straight shot, right to the babymaker.”
shocktheheart
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball