Two More ISU Players Arrested

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Two More ISU Players Arrested

Postby Redhawk » May 10th, 2018, 6:33 am

Redbirdgrad wrote:In order...

Yes. Tired of reading about Redbirds in the news off the court.
No, not embarrassing.
Scholarships are in flux with every school. The limit doesn't apply until they tip off.
Yes, there's discipline.
How in the world can any of us answer about MYs personal growth.
This is to be seen. Hopefully we have the chemistry this year. 4 seniors and an impact junior who was with the team all year should help.
They've put it together enough to run into a final four team in the MVC finals and lose out. Many, many teams across the country lose to Loyola in that spot. Kudos to Loyola.

No woman should ever be pushed... ever. For any reason.
That being said, everyone on this board knows 5% of this entire story... if that.

:+1:
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BirdsEyeView » May 10th, 2018, 7:17 am

Redhawk wrote:

No, not embarrassing.
Scholarships are in flux with every school. The limit doesn't apply until they tip off.
Yes, there's discipline.
This is to be seen. Hopefully we have the chemistry this year. 4 seniors and an impact junior who was with the team all year should help.
They've put it together enough to run into a final four team in the MVC finals and lose out. Many, many teams across the country lose to Loyola in that spot. Kudos to Loyola.

That being said, everyone on this board knows 5% of this entire story... if that.

:+1: :+1: = +2

Depending on this outcome, suspend him a few games. However, as a mid-major fan of a program who hasn't made the tournament in 20 years, taking chances on questionable character guys has been the best way to get talent for ISUr since we can't really sell recent history. Hawkins, Knight, Lofton and now Yarbrough has given them success up to Arch finals for 6 of 12 years. We are the early 90s version of the Buffalo Bills of the MVC, which is much better than being the current MVC version of the Cleveland Browns.

The funny thing is I am sure these high and mighty Bradley fans would take these questionable character kids over being in the Thursday play-in game for however many years straight until this past season. It's a give and take. Not my program to run to worry about, but I sure would prefer cheering for Milik Yarbrough over a kid like Callum Barker as a fan every day of the week.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BuBrave2006 » May 10th, 2018, 7:31 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:
Redhawk wrote:

No, not embarrassing.
Yes, there's discipline.

Depending on this outcome, suspend him a few games. However, as a mid-major fan of a program who hasn't made the tournament in 20 years, taking chances on questionable character guys has been the best way to get talent for ISUr since we can't really sell recent history. Hawkins, Knight, Lofton and now Yarbrough has given them success up to Arch finals for 6 of 12 years. We are the early 90s version of the Buffalo Bills of the MVC, which is much better than being the current MVC version of the Cleveland Browns.

The funny thing is I am sure these high and mighty Bradley fans would take these questionable character kids over being in the Thursday play-in game for however many years straight until this past season. It's a give and take. Not my program to run to worry about, but I sure would prefer cheering for Milik Yarbrough over a kid like Callum Barker as a fan every day of the week.

Not sure why Bradley fans are being dragged into this? But first of all, Callum Barker transferred, so he is no longer on the team. Second of all, to my knowledge, none of the current players on Bradley's roster have been arrested, nor have come anywhere close to any kind of controversy involving the law. We had one player who was in our rotation from the team last year DISMISSED because he couldn't follow team rules (allegedly). If Coach Wardle is willing to dismiss a contributing player from the team for not following team rules, I can only imagine what he would do if we had a player arrested once, twice, let alone three times in an 18 month span.
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » May 10th, 2018, 8:13 am

You are missing the point. Callum Barker was a random example as he was on your roster for 3 years and added little to no value despite being squeaky clean as a player.

I used Bradley fans as they always tend to enjoy this the most. Tornado especially.

Answer this question as a Bradley fan (since I assume you are not the coach who has to deal with punishment of the player):
Would you rather cheer for a program who, I recognize has character issues like ISUr, or your program who hasn't really had these issues, but hasn't really contended for a Valley title in years?

ISUr record from 2010 to 2018 was a combined: 155-113
Bradley record from 2010 to 2018 was a combined: 112-181

As a fan, I'd much rather cheer for ISUr all day long over the current alternative. Yes, MY needs to be punished if true, but still, I would rather have him on my team than a Callum Barker type of player that you had for the past three seasons that gave you nothing. That's my point.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Blers » May 10th, 2018, 8:32 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:
Redhawk wrote:

No, not embarrassing.
Yes, there's discipline.

I guess I just don't understand why a coach would keep taking risks when it hasn't worked come season end... and more often than not you're having to take more and more risks because these kids don't seem to have much loyalty to the program outside Yarborough (Hawkins, Loften, Lynch).

You can recruit talented kids without the character flaws (Paris Lee is a prime example), it's harder sure, but recruiting isn't supposed to be easy at the mid major level. ISUr has made the NIT two out of the last four seasons; they've success they should be able to sell. All but two players on this past LU team came with only a CBI championship as the recent success, and i'm not sure how many character risks UNI had to take before they became a semi-regular tourney team... but i'm not really familiar.

Not at all trying to pile on; I just know I would be so done with this cycle if it were my team.
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Ricardo del Rio » May 10th, 2018, 8:53 am

Facts, logic, analysis, conclusion...Mikovio.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » May 10th, 2018, 9:08 am

Tiresome, absolutely.

More enjoyable with my season tickets to watch 6'8" Deontae Hawkins play, instead of a low major recruit? Yes.

Muller has been recruiting some good ones lately. MY was a transfer from SLU and came in as an all A-10 Freshman player and his dad (who died during the 2016 season while he redshirted) played at ISUr. This one made sense.

Hawkins was a non-qualifier (not the smartest tool in the shed) and that's why we landed him. Muller estimated the benefit outweighed the risk. In the end, I think Muller ran him off as he randomly re-classified as a Senior. ISUr fans assumed going to Europe to make money....then ended up going to Boston College instead....which smelled Muller said you are gone after this season. Muller did the same with Zach Lofton.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BuBrave2006 » May 10th, 2018, 9:31 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:Answer this question as a Bradley fan (since I assume you are not the coach who has to deal with punishment of the player):
Would you rather cheer for a program who, I recognize has character issues like ISUr, or your program who hasn't really had these issues, but hasn't really contended for a Valley title in years?

As a fan, I'd much rather cheer for ISUr all day long over the current alternative. Yes, MY needs to be punished if true, but still, I would rather have him on my team than a Callum Barker type of player that you had for the past three seasons that gave you nothing. That's my point.

You premise this as if the two are mutually exclusive. Sure Bradley was terrible from 09-16 (give or take), but we weren't terrible because we had squeaky clean players. We were actually terrible AND had players with character issues.

I see the point that you are making, and yes, in general I would probably rather root for a good team with character issues. But part of the territory that comes with character issues should be suspensions and dismissals. My main issue is with how ISU has handled everything. Would I rather have Milik than Barker? Probably. But if Milik came to Bradley from SLU instead of ISU, and committed these exact same transgressions, he would not be on the team anymore.

I am not saying I think Bradley's method of discipline is perfect or that ISU isn't doing anything or whatever because i don't know what happened in any of these circumstances. But it just absolutely baffles me that none of these ISU players - Milik, Clayton, Hawkins, etc, have ever missed a minute of playing time because of it.

I'm not demanding that he should be dismissed from ISU, it just really baffles me when yet another issue props up with the ISU basketball team, and i know that it will be "handled internally."
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » May 10th, 2018, 10:19 am

How are these things mutually exclusive? It's not an either/or. You can have both.

Ben Jacobson has been at UNI for 13 years and we've only had 4 incidents of any note and all were suspended for 10% of the season per the Student Athlete Code of Conduct. It's black and white and doesn't allow a coach to manipulate the system.
2008--Lucas O'Rear steals a female student's iPod (3 game suspension)
2010--Jordan Eglseder DUI (3 game suspension including ODU BracketBuster, cost him Valley POY)
2011--Anthony James steals a bicycle on campus (No foreign trip, 3 game suspension)
2015--Klint Carlson DUI (that he was later acquitted of) (3 game suspension including North Carolina game)

In that time we've done pretty well on the floor. Its all about culture. I like the culture at UNI, Bradley, Loyola, etc a helluva lot more than the department-wide culture at ISU.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » May 10th, 2018, 10:26 am

BuBrave2006 wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:Answer this question as a Bradley fan (since I assume you are not the coach who has to deal with punishment of the player):

You premise this as if the two are mutually exclusive. Sure Bradley was terrible from 09-16 (give or take), but we weren't terrible because we had squeaky clean players. We were actually terrible AND had players with character issues.

I see the point that you are making, and yes, in general I would probably rather root for a good team with character issues. But part of the territory that comes with character issues should be suspensions and dismissals. My main issue is with how ISU has handled everything. Would I rather have Milik than Barker? Probably. But if Milik came to Bradley from SLU instead of ISU, and committed these exact same transgressions, he would not be on the team anymore.

I am not saying I think Bradley's method of discipline is perfect or that ISU isn't doing anything or whatever because i don't know what happened in any of these circumstances. But it just absolutely baffles me that none of these ISU players - Milik, Clayton, Hawkins, etc, have ever missed a minute of playing time because of it.

I'm not demanding that he should be dismissed from ISU, it just really baffles me when yet another issue props up with the ISU basketball team, and i know that it will be "handled internally."

Yep, but like I said, from only a fan perspective, it's not my choice to suspend/kick kids off a team. That's on Muller and the Athletic Department.

He did suspend MY last year for his attitude, but does seem lax when it comes to law enforcement issues. Not the approach I would take for building culture...
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball