Valley Exhibition Games

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Valley Exhibition Games

Postby Stickboy46 » November 8th, 2016, 8:34 am

uniftw wrote:
Shockerfan13 wrote:
Wouldn't call them meaningless or no one would do them.

Just posting results. Sure you can't take a ton from the score just like exhibitions. But it shows UNI has a lot to work on, just like the Shox and everyone else.
From what I heard Wisconsin ran their normal rotation and UNI ran the younger guys most of the time.

Wisconsin in a top 10 team and IF UNI ran a rotation of mostly the freshman/sophomores I'mt not really that concerned. Even if it was a full on game I'm not too concerned in the first weekend of November about a team with a ton of freshman struggling against a top 10 team.

They also posted stats for the games for a few players

redshirt senior and 35 game starter last season Zak Showalter played 25 minutes and was 4-4 from deep in 25 min

Senior 34 game starter last season Vitto Brown scored 15 points on 4-5 from deep in 23min

Alex Illikainen, who played in 33 games last season had 14 points on 4-5 from deep in 16min

Jordan Hill, who played in 30 games lastse ason and shot 37% from deep had 13 points on 3-5 from deep 18min

Maybe UNI can't defend the three. Maybe UW was just hot as hell. 15-19 on 3 pointers from 4 guys will swing a game into something it's not in terms of score pretty quick.

UNI has a very young team. UNI does have a lot to work on. I'm not too concerned about the score of a scrimmage, especially when you see those kind of 3 point shooting % from the other team.

Where did you hear that they only played their bottom players? The only place I've seen that is on the Panther message board where people were guessing as to why the score was so bad without any real insight.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Stickboy46 » November 8th, 2016, 8:35 am

specialsauce wrote:
uniftw wrote:Jake doesn't need to see those guys to know they can play against the Wisconsin level players of the world. They've been to back to back NCAA tournaments, have a conference tournament title, beating multiple top 5 ranked teams, wins in back to back NCAA tournaments, have made the various all conference lists.

So are these the expectations UNI is having going into the year?

They have also lost to Loyola multiple times ... so ...
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » November 8th, 2016, 8:53 am

Stickboy46 wrote:
uniftw wrote:
Shockerfan13 wrote:
Wouldn't call them meaningless or no one would do them.

Just posting results. Sure you can't take a ton from the score just like exhibitions. But it shows UNI has a lot to work on, just like the Shox and everyone else.
From what I heard Wisconsin ran their normal rotation and UNI ran the younger guys most of the time.

Wisconsin in a top 10 team and IF UNI ran a rotation of mostly the freshman/sophomores I'mt not really that concerned. Even if it was a full on game I'm not too concerned in the first weekend of November about a team with a ton of freshman struggling against a top 10 team.

They also posted stats for the games for a few players

redshirt senior and 35 game starter last season Zak Showalter played 25 minutes and was 4-4 from deep in 25 min

Senior 34 game starter last season Vitto Brown scored 15 points on 4-5 from deep in 23min

Alex Illikainen, who played in 33 games last season had 14 points on 4-5 from deep in 16min

Jordan Hill, who played in 30 games lastse ason and shot 37% from deep had 13 points on 3-5 from deep 18min

Maybe UNI can't defend the three. Maybe UW was just hot as hell. 15-19 on 3 pointers from 4 guys will swing a game into something it's not in terms of score pretty quick.

UNI has a very young team. UNI does have a lot to work on. I'm not too concerned about the score of a scrimmage, especially when you see those kind of 3 point shooting % from the other team.

Where did you hear that they only played their bottom players? The only place I've seen that is on the Panther message board where people were guessing as to why the score was so bad without any real insight.
It's not that they only played them, but the rotations focused on putting guys into different spots, roles, and seeing how younger guys reacted. Everyone played but it wasn't "normal" rotations.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SubGod22 » November 8th, 2016, 9:11 am

I'm not sure why Shocker fans are giving UNI crap about this. Wichita did the same thing during their scrimmage and played the new guys a lot more than they would during any sort of actual game. And that was reported by Sully. I wouldn't find it the least bit odd that UNI did the same.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Stickboy46 » November 8th, 2016, 9:54 am

SubGod22 wrote:I'm not sure why Shocker fans are giving UNI crap about this. Wichita did the same thing during their scrimmage and played the new guys a lot more than they would during any sort of actual game. And that was reported by Sully. I wouldn't find it the least bit odd that UNI did the same.

I'm not giving them crap, but I just found it odd that there was an assumption that no starters played solely because they lost. I didn't see any official word that they did. With WSU, there was "official" word of how it was handled. To be honest, I could see their starters losing pretty badly to a very good UW team this early in the year. The same way that WSU is going to lose some headscratchers this year.

WSU and UNI are in similar positions, both lost several VERY good players with tons of leadership. Their backcourts are all really young, but extremely talented. That is going to mean some surprise wins and some head-scratching losses for both.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby uniftw » November 8th, 2016, 3:48 pm

Stickboy46 wrote:
SubGod22 wrote:I'm not sure why Shocker fans are giving UNI crap about this. Wichita did the same thing during their scrimmage and played the new guys a lot more than they would during any sort of actual game. And that was reported by Sully. I wouldn't find it the least bit odd that UNI did the same.

I'm not giving them crap, but I just found it odd that there was an assumption that no starters played solely because they lost. I didn't see any official word that they did. With WSU, there was "official" word of how it was handled. To be honest, I could see their starters losing pretty badly to a very good UW team this early in the year. The same way that WSU is going to lose some headscratchers this year.

WSU and UNI are in similar positions, both lost several VERY good players with tons of leadership. Their backcourts are all really young, but extremely talented. That is going to mean some surprise wins and some head-scratching losses for both.
Who said they didn't play?

McCloud is a starter.

It's been strongly rumored by those who know the program well that the rotations were heavily slanted towards younger kids to see how they fit in different roles, how they fit in different personnel groupings, etc... Anyone who knows the UNI program even remotely well knows how closely Jake keeps everything. Hell, last year during the losing streak UNI had it wasn't known to almost anyone that multiple starters were in hospitals during the day getting fluid injections to keep them hydrated, that Wes's back injury from Hawaii was much worse than it seemed, etc... The team finally got healthy and it started to click. To most it just looked like a UNI team that had fallen apart.

On the flip side Wisconsin has openly admitted to playing their starters significant minutes and shooting a ridiculous 80% from deep.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Red » November 16th, 2016, 8:10 am

Shockerfan13 wrote:
UNIFanSince1983 wrote:I don't know when it is, but UNI has a closed scrimmage against Wisconsin still before the season starts.

Wisconsin Badger Twitter Page

"Successful scrimmage vs @UNImbb today in Dubuque. In 3 periods featuring regular rotation, #Badgers won all 3. Combined score: 78-48"

#22 Creighton beat #9 Wisconsin last night.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » November 16th, 2016, 9:28 am

Red wrote:
Shockerfan13 wrote:
UNIFanSince1983 wrote:I don't know when it is, but UNI has a closed scrimmage against Wisconsin still before the season starts.

Wisconsin Badger Twitter Page

"Successful scrimmage vs @UNImbb today in Dubuque. In 3 periods featuring regular rotation, #Badgers won all 3. Combined score: 78-48"

#22 Creighton beat #9 Wisconsin last night.

I was not impressed with Wisconsin at all last night. Or a Duke team with 3 arms tied behind their back. But I did think Creighton looked like a Top 25 team nonetheless. If KU, Duke and Wisconsin are Top 15 teams....I'm very excited about March.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball