Weekend 1 regular season MVC schedule

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Weekend 1 regular season MVC schedule

Postby Wufan » November 12th, 2016, 9:17 am

BEARZ77 wrote:Weak opponent, but some encouraging signs for the Bears. Played w/o their two most physical inside guys in 6'8 Martin[ suspension] and 6'11 McCullough[ still rehabbing] , also perhaps most talented player in Kendrix [ suspension] and 6'6 highly rated frosh guard Boogie Williams who will rs. Didn't get any production from last years NOY Miller [ 1pt] but didn't need it. This team is extremely deep as even w/o the big guys and Kendrix, we had guys like Dixon, Ruder, and Rhodes coming off the bench. Ruder while perhaps suffering some loss of overall athleticism to chronic injury, has hiS shot back and hit 6 treys for 18 pts.

Our 3 jucos combined went 20/27 from the field with 49 pts,17 rbs, 9assists vs 2 tos. 6'9 Alize Johnson went 8/8 from the field with 6 rbs. He had several coast to coast rbs , dribble the floor and either finish or assist. He's very skilled for his length. Rhodes at 6'6 went 4/5 from 3pt had 16pts and 7 rbs. He'll keep pushing Kendrix once he's back and is probably gonna play in front of him for a while. PG Rousseau had 16 pts, 5 assists vs 1 to. He's legit although with Miller we are very small in the starting backcourt. We're gonna be hard to guard, lots of offensive fire power, but lots of work to do on defense and establishing an inside presence. Towards that end though Obediah Church did go for 12 pts, 8 rbs and 4 blks. 6 Bears in double figures none named Miller/Kendrix , two of the leading returning scorers in the MVC.

I didn't watch all of the Bears games as I was flipping around ESPN3 pre-Shocker tip off, but here's what I saw:

I can't tell Church and Johnson apart in a half court set. Very similar build and same damn haircut! They are a bit on the thin side, but fast bouncy athletes. Bears fans aren't kidding about Johnson collecting the board and taking it down court. He leads the break and looks to be a point forward type in open court. Johnson had a great demonstration of this as he dribbled past defenders at half court and made the back man stop him at the FT line where he tossed up a great ally-oop for Church on the slam.

Ruder and Kreklow shot extremely well. That will open up the middle for the bouncy athletes. The little PGs are fast and offensive minded. They seemed a little out of control on their drives, but they were fast enough to get all the way to the basket.

The offensive movement of the Bears was a far cry from years past. The Bears were quick and moved the ball well. I wasn't impressed with defensive rebounding.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby specialsauce » November 12th, 2016, 10:07 am

I don't think we'll know a lot about Missouri State until late December when they play a team with a pulse.
specialsauce
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BuBrave2006 » November 12th, 2016, 10:34 am

I thought that Bradley looked pretty good last night. Granted, it wasn't the strongest opponent, but we didn't beat anyone by double digits last year so you have to start somewhere.

Pittman and Luuk didn't have their best games last night but i still think they are the two best players on the team. Luuk will cause problems for teams this season.

The other main takeaway is that our two freshman point guards, Darrell Brown and Jayden Hodgson, both look very good. Brown is a 5-10 scrappy point guard who can shoot a little bit and looks really good defensively. Reminds me a lot of Daniel Ruffin. Hodgson is 6-3 and more of a game manager type but is really smooth with the ball, runs the offense and doesn't make any mistakes. Both should be major contributors this year.

We have a solid 8-10 guys that I am comfortable with on the floor (as opposed to the 5-6 guys last year). We still have a ways to go and we'll learn a lot more tomorrow against a D-1 opponent, but i think this team is going to surprise some people this year. Definitely on the way up. Still think 12-14 wins and 6-7 conference wins is a very achievable goal.
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

Postby glm38 » November 12th, 2016, 11:24 am

BEARZ77 wrote:Weak opponent, but some encouraging signs for the Bears. Played w/o their two most physical inside guys in 6'8 Martin[ suspension] and 6'11 McCullough[ still rehabbing] , also perhaps most talented player in Kendrix [ suspension] and 6'6 highly rated frosh guard Boogie Williams who will rs. Didn't get any production from last years NOY Miller [ 1pt] but didn't need it. This team is extremely deep as even w/o the big guys and Kendrix, we had guys like Dixon, Ruder, and Rhodes coming off the bench. Ruder while perhaps suffering some loss of overall athleticism to chronic injury, has hiS shot back and hit 6 treys for 18 pts.

Our 3 jucos combined went 20/27 from the field with 49 pts,17 rbs, 9assists vs 2 tos. 6'9 Alize Johnson went 8/8 from the field with 6 rbs. He had several coast to coast rbs , dribble the floor and either finish or assist. He's very skilled for his length. Rhodes at 6'6 went 4/5 from 3pt had 16pts and 7 rbs. He'll keep pushing Kendrix once he's back and is probably gonna play in front of him for a while. PG Rousseau had 16 pts, 5 assists vs 1 to. He's legit although with Miller we are very small in the starting backcourt. We're gonna be hard to guard, lots of offensive fire power, but lots of work to do on defense and establishing an inside presence. Towards that end though Obediah Church did go for 12 pts, 8 rbs and 4 blks. 6 Bears in double figures none named Miller/Kendrix , two of the leading returning scorers in the MVC.

I agree it was very encouraging. It was just really weird that Kreklow got the start. :huh:
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » November 12th, 2016, 11:31 am

specialsauce wrote:I don't think we'll know a lot about Missouri State until late December when they play a team with a pulse.

I agree for the most part. No really good teams on the OOC but there are a few decent teams. I'm anxious to see how we do against them.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » November 12th, 2016, 11:42 am

UNI up 37-10 with 3:30 left in the first half.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Stickboy46 » November 12th, 2016, 12:05 pm

Is COE college an exhibition? Or part of their regular season?
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby PantherSigEp » November 12th, 2016, 12:39 pm

Stickboy46 wrote:Is COE college an exhibition? Or part of their regular season?

Couldn't fill the last game on the schedule with a meaningful opponent who would visit CF. In that situation UNI felt that the best move was to schedule Coe, who we've typcially had an exhibition against, because it would not effect our RPI.

Sucks that we have 1 less D-1 game to count for but better than paying an RPI-drag to travel here. Coe is only 30 mins away and probably didn't demand much. Also another "exhibition" game isn't a bad thing for a team with all the new faces and youth that ours has. It's worked out well, young guys are getting the vast majority of mins in the 2nd half
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Stickboy46 » November 12th, 2016, 1:42 pm

Gotcha.. Kinda like what WSU does with Newman when they need to fill the schedule
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MSUDuo » November 12th, 2016, 2:09 pm

specialsauce wrote:I don't think we'll know a lot about Missouri State until late December when they play a team with a pulse.

We will find out a lot faster than that. Jacksonville St visits tomorrow after beating Tulsa last night in Tulsa. Harper knows how to coach and bring in talent after being at WKU (not sure why he left WKU for Jacksonville St)

Visits to DePaul and from NDSU in late November will be good tests.

But I agree, the gem part of the schedule is the tourney in Vegas at Christmas time.

I will be the first to admit that I don't like Lusk as a coach and still don't have faith in him. With that said, not once did I ever believe we would score 96 points and beat a D1 team by 34 while under his leadership. They looked pretty dang impressive last night, even with keeping in mind the opponent.
MSUDuo
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball