Weekend 1 regular season MVC schedule

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Weekend 1 regular season MVC schedule

Postby Stickboy46 » November 14th, 2016, 12:24 pm

ACECARD wrote:Those people predicting 3 or 4 Valley losses for the Shockers this year, better think again. Not from what I saw. Maybe a couple on bad nights, but I wouldn't bet on that either.

I'm still trying to be cautious about my excitement .. I mean ... It's really not possible to lose FVV and Baker and then be better the next year right? The potential is there, but I'll wait until after Atlantis to really get excited. That will be the first non-home game and first really good opponents.

That said .. its hard to ignore a 37 point win over the team predicted to win the Big West that ended last year with an RPI of 84 (would have been good for 3rd best in the Valley)
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Cdizzle » November 14th, 2016, 12:25 pm

ACECARD wrote:Those people predicting 3 or 4 Valley losses for the Shockers this year, better think again. Not from what I saw. Maybe a couple on bad nights, but I wouldn't bet on that either.

Difficult to know how terrible the opponents have been so far.

Still, have looked better than I was anticipating at this point. Defense has improved a ton since Canada. We'll find out more in the Bahamas.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby LanceShock » November 14th, 2016, 1:30 pm

Stickboy46 wrote:It's really not possible to lose FVV and Baker and then be better the next year right

It depends on what you mean be better. Whoever is on the court playing their positions this year will not be as good. But I do wonder if they could be a better overall team if it is truly five guys out there working as a team and not Ron and Fred with three others supporting them.
LanceShock
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby musiccitybulldog » November 14th, 2016, 2:18 pm

I can remember commenting on Early and Baker the first time I saw them play. That they would be change makers.

This fellow Austin Reaves is going to be in that boat. The guy can read the floor.

I thought Long Beach was fast and athletic...the Shockers beat them in every part of the game.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SubGod22 » November 14th, 2016, 2:48 pm

musiccitybulldog wrote:I can remember commenting on Early and Baker the first time I saw them play. That they would be change makers.

This fellow Austin Reaves is going to be in that boat. The guy can read the floor.

I thought Long Beach was fast and athletic...the Shockers beat them in every part of the game.

I'm a HUGE fan of Austin. The kid's BBIQ is through the roof and he's fearless. Let's get some weight on the kid and he'll only get better. Having him and Shamet in the same back court together for four years makes me smile.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby shockem » November 14th, 2016, 7:49 pm

Here's my take on the Shox 2 games in: yes we lost 2 major stars. Those guys were really good. On the flip side, we had a lot of young guys last year that would defer to Ron and Fred, sometimes just watching them and waiting for them to make a play. This year, we have no "stars". We have many really good players, but there isn't any deferring going on. We have experience, youth, skill, height, athletism, intensity and teamwork. It's gonna be an exciting and interesting season.

As for Austin Reaves, I'll throw out a name that he reminds me of: Ben Jacobsen of UNI. Probably a better athlete, but that kid had unique grit and leadership, loved watching him play. Reaves will be very good.
shockem
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » November 14th, 2016, 7:57 pm

Tonight on the radio show Coach Marshall reminded everyone not to expect this type of victory every night and that with a young team the highs are very high and the lows are very low. This team needs to win on the road before the hype is real. An athletic but down Tulsa team is up next followed by Maryland Eastern Shore.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Play Angry » November 14th, 2016, 8:02 pm

Arkansas 56
SIU 25

Halftime

This is so frustrating.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » November 14th, 2016, 9:34 pm

Play Angry wrote:Arkansas 56
SIU 25

Halftime

This is so frustrating.

SIU needs a belt.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby RoyalShock » November 15th, 2016, 10:10 am

SubGod22 wrote:
musiccitybulldog wrote:I can remember commenting on Early and Baker the first time I saw them play. That they would be change makers.

I'm a HUGE fan of Austin. The kid's BBIQ is through the roof and he's fearless. Let's get some weight on the kid and he'll only get better. Having him and Shamet in the same back court together for four years makes me smile.

The Austin Reaves Fan Club is already bursting at the seams. He gets the most cheers when entering or leaving the game.
RoyalShock
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball