MVC POY

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Which player not on your team will win POY?

Sean O'Brien
3%
Reed Timmer
2%
McKyle McIntosh
10%
Paris Lee
10%
Brenton Scott
5%
Milton Doyle
14%
Dequan Miller
No votes
Markis McDuffie
15%
Shaq Morris
5%
Jeremy Morgan
36%

Total votes : 59

Re: MVC POY

Postby Wufan » January 30th, 2017, 12:39 pm

Blers wrote:Just a heads up Wu those are the KenPom rankings not Ramblings!

Interesting. WSU has the #1, 2, 3 KP players for adj O eff. I'm curious what metric is bein used here.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Cdizzle » January 30th, 2017, 12:51 pm

WSU will not have the POY this year. It's going to be one of ISUr's big 3, or Morgan.

I think we'll have:

1st Team
ISUr (POY)
ISUr
UNI
WSU
MSU

2nd Team
ISUr
WSU
LUC
DU
UE
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ahunte1 » January 30th, 2017, 12:56 pm

The kPOY is some combination of the offensive rating and usage rate plus a mysterious defensive metric that I don't think he publishes. Anyway, what year did FVV win POY?

Here's the MVC kPOY rankings for as far back as they go:

2016-17 (Current. This has jumped around a lot. Lee has been in and out, I think. Jaylon Brown was in it for awhile. Doyle, McIntosh, and Willis has been in pretty consistently.)

1. Doyle
2. Hawkins
3. McIntosh
4. Willis
5. McDuffie

2015-16

1. Baker
2. FVV
3. Mock
4. Washpun
5. Balentine

2014-15

1. Tuttle
2. FVV
3. Baker
4. Carter
5. Balentine

2013-14

1. Early
2. Baker
3. FVV
4. Tuttle
5. Cotton
ahunte1
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Blers » January 30th, 2017, 1:12 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:
Blers wrote:Just a heads up Wu those are the KenPom rankings not Ramblings!

Right on the stats, but then why have voters?

Loyola is 4 games back on the league leaders and got literally blown out of their own gym against said league leaders. KenPom tells part of the story. So, does standings and head to head against his biggest competition.

What was FVV's KenPom ranking last year when he won POY?

No idea how it works. For what it's worth I could see the argument being made no one player does more for his team than Doyle. His stats are spread out so well across the board and Loyola is currently in sole possession of third place. I believe the rankings update after every game so it could certainly change with a loss Tuesday, I don't know their metrics. I just checked Doyle was in top 17 for almost all MVC categories (pts, assists, assist/turnover, rebounds, steals).

He leads all ISUr and WSU contenders in PPG (15.9 best for 4th)
Leads all ISUr Contenders in FG% (.479 for 12th.... Willis ranks 4th with .554)
Rebounds better than P. Lee (4.9 per game for 17th best in the league as a guard)
More Assists than Hawkins/McIntosh (4.6 per game, 3rd place behind Lee and Clemons)
More steals than Hawkins/McIntosh (1.7 per game, 4th overall behind Lee)

Those are just the stats, so i'm sure that plays into the ranking greatly. Willis has a good spread as well which I'd guess is why he's on the list as well. Obviously we all want our home guys to win it deep down so i'm pulling for Doyle.

That said I completely acknowledge the W/L record is tough and I definitely think they need to finish with the 3 seed to be worthy of the award. He played very well against WSU and almost brought us back.

And while i don't expect LU to win at RBA, I do expect the game to be more like the first 15 minutes of the first match up rather than like the last 25... that was just awful.
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » January 30th, 2017, 1:14 pm

I have no idea how Willis is in a Top 5. I wouldn't put him 2nd Team at this point, much less in the running for POY.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SubGod22 » January 30th, 2017, 1:16 pm

Cdizzle wrote:I have no idea how Willis is in a Top 5. I wouldn't put him 2nd Team at this point, much less in the running for POY.

I agree with this.

Honestly, I think it comes down to Lee or McIntosh. My vote would be for Lee but I think either are worthy.
www.wheatshockers.com

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.

Unemployment insurance is a prepaid vacation for freeloaders.
SubGod22
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Rambler63 » January 30th, 2017, 4:58 pm

13 of the past 20 winners have been seniors. And there hasn't been a winner from a team finishing 3rd or worse since 1996-97.
Rambler63
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Wufan » January 30th, 2017, 5:54 pm

Rambler63 wrote:13 of the past 20 winners have been seniors. And there hasn't been a winner from a team finishing 3rd or worse since 1996-97.

VanVleet and McDermott both won the award as underclassmen. If you are going to have a winner from a third place team, they had better finish no more than two games out of first. Lee is the obvious choice. They will finish first or a close second and he's a senior. Doyle has excellent stats for a good team...just not POY worthy.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby SalukiHoops » February 1st, 2017, 9:15 am

ahunte1 wrote:The kPOY is some combination of the offensive rating and usage rate plus a mysterious defensive metric that I don't think he publishes. Anyway, what year did FVV win POY?

Here's the MVC kPOY rankings for as far back as they go:

2016-17 (Current. This has jumped around a lot. Lee has been in and out, I think. Jaylon Brown was in it for awhile. Doyle, McIntosh, and Willis has been in pretty consistently.)

1. Doyle
2. Hawkins
3. McIntosh
4. Willis
5. McDuffie

2015-16

1. Baker
2. FVV
3. Mock
4. Washpun
5. Balentine

2014-15

1. Tuttle
2. FVV
3. Baker
4. Carter
5. Balentine

2013-14

1. Early
2. Baker
3. FVV
4. Tuttle
5. Cotton

NO BEANE? Come on!!!
SalukiHoops
SalukiHoops
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby bleach » February 1st, 2017, 6:57 pm

Is/should coaching be factored into voting for conference awards? Anyone who watches the Bears can see that Alize would have even better stats and be on a much better (record wise) team with a different coach. Is it a case of Alize is really impressive no matter the coach and record or Alize chose his coach and must live with the results? If Evansvilles players stats get discounted because of their coaches system, should Alize get bonus points because of his coaches "system"?
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball