MVC POY

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Which player not on your team will win POY?

Sean O'Brien
3%
Reed Timmer
2%
McKyle McIntosh
10%
Paris Lee
10%
Brenton Scott
5%
Milton Doyle
14%
Dequan Miller
No votes
Markis McDuffie
15%
Shaq Morris
5%
Jeremy Morgan
36%

Total votes : 59

Re: MVC POY

Postby Wufan » December 6th, 2016, 5:55 am

bleach wrote:
Wufan wrote:
bleach wrote:Has a non starter ever been on 1st team let alone POY? McDuffie may well be the best player but he needs to get in the starting lineup (and I think he will). What is the reasoning for bringing him off the bench?

He started on Saturday. Not sure what that means going forward.

Marshall has said he has 10 starters this year. Brown and Kelly have been starting at the two forward positions. Kelly is 100% PF, Brown is 100% SF, and Willis is 100% PF. That means it's basically Brown vs McDuffie for starting SF. Brown is a little more defensively sound and has been practicing well, and although he isn't as dynamic as MM, he probably has a little more coaches trust and is a junior. He's also averaging 9.4, 3.4, and 2.4 in 19.7 mpg. He has the same total number of blocks and steals as MM and is shooting over 0.500 from the field and over 0.400 from 3, so pretty solid! The margin between the two (as with all 10 positions) is razor thin.

That makes it sound like he's not the best player or even forward on the team. Pretty hard to make the case of best player in the league after that. There is a lot of season left though.

He may not be the best player on the team, but statistically he is (though very little separates him, Brown, Willis, and Shamet). He's also the most dynamic offensive player and a darn good defender. That's basically why I asked the question. His numbers don't scream POY, but when your leading minute getter is only getting 23 per game, will the award voters recognize that his per 30 stats would be elite? Something like 16, 6, and 3.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby LanceShock » December 6th, 2016, 7:58 am

Wufan wrote:
bleach wrote:That makes it sound like he's not the best player or even forward on the team. Pretty hard to make the case of best player in the league after that. There is a lot of season left though.

He may not be the best player on the team, but statistically he is (though very little separates him, Brown, Willis, and Shamet). He's also the most dynamic offensive player and a darn good defender. That's basically why I asked the question. His numbers don't scream POY, but when your leading minute getter is only getting 23 per game, will the award voters recognize that his per 30 stats would be elite? Something like 16, 6, and 3.

McDuffie had surgery to repair a meniscus tear in his knee after the Canada trip. His knee is just now getting to be 100%. That could be part of why he wasn't starting and why his numbers haven't been better.
http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wi ... 51188.html
LanceShock
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Stickboy46 » December 6th, 2016, 8:34 am

Wufan wrote:
bleach wrote:
Wufan wrote:
He started on Saturday. Not sure what that means going forward.

Marshall has said he has 10 starters this year. Brown and Kelly have been starting at the two forward positions. Kelly is 100% PF, Brown is 100% SF, and Willis is 100% PF. That means it's basically Brown vs McDuffie for starting SF. Brown is a little more defensively sound and has been practicing well, and although he isn't as dynamic as MM, he probably has a little more coaches trust and is a junior. He's also averaging 9.4, 3.4, and 2.4 in 19.7 mpg. He has the same total number of blocks and steals as MM and is shooting over 0.500 from the field and over 0.400 from 3, so pretty solid! The margin between the two (as with all 10 positions) is razor thin.

That makes it sound like he's not the best player or even forward on the team. Pretty hard to make the case of best player in the league after that. There is a lot of season left though.

Let's not put too much faith in the voters of this league. Just look at the COY the year voting last year along with the number of times that Cotton got snubbed. I fully expect WSU to win the league by 3+ games and have not a single All-MVC first team member. Once the voters get done sorting their votes by PPG, they wont have any votes left for them.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BuBrave2006 » December 6th, 2016, 8:52 am

Stickboy46 wrote:I fully expect WSU to win the league by 3+ games and have not a single All-MVC first team member.

This might be the most ridiculous statement I've ever seen on here.
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » December 6th, 2016, 9:06 am

BuBrave2006 wrote:
Stickboy46 wrote:I fully expect WSU to win the league by 3+ games and have not a single All-MVC first team member.

:+1:

If WSU wins the league by 3+, you will have your COY award that you WSU fans were so "butt-hurt" over last year (and still this year reading the messages from you guys) and at least 1-2 first team players.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » December 6th, 2016, 9:16 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:
BuBrave2006 wrote:

If WSU wins the league by 3+, you will have your COY award that you WSU fans were so "butt-hurt" over last year (and still this year reading the messages from you guys) and at least 1-2 first team players.

There is a difference between being "butt-hurt" and pointing out ridiculous truths. WSU did win the league by 3+ last year, and did not have the COY, so your statement has no validity as some "you guys are all conspiracy theorists" claim.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Stickboy46 » December 6th, 2016, 9:18 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:
BuBrave2006 wrote:

Please explain how WSU won the league by 4 games last year and not only didn't win COY, but had voters not have Marshall in their top 3 coaches ...

That is the point of my statement, the voters don't vote with good faith, they vote with bias (not all but enough to sway things around)
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Stickboy46 » December 6th, 2016, 9:19 am

BuBrave2006 wrote:

Nah, I think saying that Bradley will be competing for a Valley title next year (or even the year after) is probably the most ridiculous statement I've seen on here. My statement at least has some possibility of happening.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby specialsauce » December 6th, 2016, 9:54 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:
BuBrave2006 wrote:

Obsessed with WSU much?
specialsauce
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdsEyeView » December 6th, 2016, 10:36 am

Not even a little bit. Sorry to disappoint.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball