MVC POY

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Which player not on your team will win POY?

Sean O'Brien
3%
Reed Timmer
2%
McKyle McIntosh
10%
Paris Lee
10%
Brenton Scott
5%
Milton Doyle
14%
Dequan Miller
No votes
Markis McDuffie
15%
Shaq Morris
5%
Jeremy Morgan
36%

Total votes : 59

Re: MVC POY

Postby Redbirdgrad » January 23rd, 2017, 11:58 am

1st Team:

P Lee
J Brown
M McDuffie
A Johnson
M McIntosh

2nd Team:

M Doyle
J Morgan
L Shamet
D Hawkins
R Taylor
Redbirdgrad
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Wufan » January 23rd, 2017, 12:23 pm

The conference standings are too tight still to predict the first and second team. Johnson, Lee and McIntosh are near locks.

Second team or higher locks are: Brown, Hawkins, Scott, Doyle, Morgan

Take your favorite 2 of 15 or so candidates for the last spots.
Last edited by Wufan on January 23rd, 2017, 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » January 23rd, 2017, 12:27 pm

Redbirdgrad wrote:1st Team:

P Lee
J Brown
M McDuffie
A Johnson
M McIntosh

2nd Team:

M Doyle
J Morgan
L Shamet
D Hawkins
R Taylor

2 Evansville players? I'd wager they deserve 0. Especially 1st team. They sure suck for having 2 of the top 10 players in the league. People's fascination with ppg continues to amaze me. I would vote any one of Shamet/Hawkins/Morgan over Brown. There are probably 15-20 players in this league that you could put in Brown's position and they would average 20ppg. It's a product of a system. The system is good at producing somebody averaging 20ppg, and crappy at producing wins.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbirdgrad » January 23rd, 2017, 12:35 pm

Cdizzle wrote:

P Lee
J Brown
M McDuffie
A Johnson
M McIntosh

2nd Team:

M Doyle
J Morgan
L Shamet
D Hawkins
R Taylor

2 Evansville players? I'd wager they deserve 0. Especially 1st team. They sure suck for having 2 of the top 10 players in the league. People's fascination with ppg continues to amaze me. I would vote any one of Shamet/Hawkins/Morgan over Brown. There are probably 15-20 players in this league that you could put in Brown's position and they would average 20ppg. It's a product of a system. The system is good at producing somebody averaging 20ppg, and crappy at producing wins.

To each their own. That's the fun of a voting system. Had I put Lee, Hawkins, and MM in there, you probably would have called me a homer. :)

I think depite the coach, and despite the team around them, Brown and Taylor have played very well.
Redbirdgrad
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » January 23rd, 2017, 12:54 pm

Redbirdgrad wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:

P Lee
J Brown
M McDuffie
A Johnson
M McIntosh

2nd Team:

M Doyle
J Morgan
L Shamet
D Hawkins
R Taylor

I think depite the coach, and despite the team around them, Brown and Taylor have played very well.

They have scored well. There's a difference. To say nothing of other facets of the game where the balance overwhelmingly shifts to players like Hawkins and Shamet, even the advanced offensive ratings prefer those two over Brown.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbirdgrad » January 23rd, 2017, 1:02 pm

Cdizzle wrote:They have scored well. There's a difference. To say nothing of other facets of the game where the balance overwhelmingly shifts to players like Hawkins and Shamet, even the advanced offensive ratings prefer those two over Brown.

There's absolutely arguments to be made either way. Again, had I put Hawkins there someone would have balked even though Hawkins has been our best player as of late.

It's a subjective list. I'm very impressed with what Brown has done given the limitations of the current Evansville team... therefore he gets a nod from me. Everyone treats these things differently!
Redbirdgrad
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » January 23rd, 2017, 1:17 pm

I think it's impressive that people continue to be impressed by Evansville's designated scorer putting up 20ppg every year while they lose games.

I take that back. It's not impressive. It's sad.

Off the top of my head, I'd put Lee, McIntosh, Hawkins, McDuffie, Shamet, Willis, Doyle, Jackson, Johnson, Morgan and Rodriguez above Brown.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 23rd, 2017, 1:22 pm

Cdizzle wrote:I think it's impressive that people continue to be impressed by Evansville's designated scorer putting up 20ppg every year while they lose games.

Off the top of my head, I'd put Lee, McIntosh, Hawkins, McDuffie, Shamet, Willis, Doyle, Jackson, Johnson, Morgan and Rodriguez above Brown.

If Evansville finishes in last place, there should be no reason whatsoever any of their players make all conference.

However, I would bet Brown still does somehow based solely on ppg.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » January 23rd, 2017, 1:31 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:I think it's impressive that people continue to be impressed by Evansville's designated scorer putting up 20ppg every year while they lose games.

If Evansville finishes in last place, there should be no reason whatsoever any of their players make all conference.

However, I would bet Brown still does somehow based solely on ppg.

Yep. I don't mean to say that he's a bad player. But how many straight years does it take before people realize that it doesn't really matter who you put in that role, they will put up points? And the team won't be good.

I agree with whomever above that said they might get a little razzing for homerism by putting Hawkins on 1st team. But it's also pretty realistic and defendable. Those are 3 very good players, on an 8-0 team, who are playing enough minutes to also put up big numbers. Now, if you end up 14-4, it gets a little harder to defend. I'll argue forever that Tekele Cotton should have been 1st Team his last 2 years. That probably makes me a homer. It's also probably pretty realistic. He was an average offensive player, nationally elite defensive player, and his team went 35-1.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby bleach » January 23rd, 2017, 8:39 pm

Cdizzle wrote:

P Lee
J Brown
M McDuffie
A Johnson
M McIntosh

2nd Team:

M Doyle
J Morgan
L Shamet
D Hawkins
R Taylor

You know, I kept reading these lists and seeing this Brown. Kept asking myself how someone good enough to be mentioned as a 1st teamer could have escaped my notice. Then I read your post and went.....aaahhh that's how.
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball