MVC POY

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Which player not on your team will win POY?

Sean O'Brien
3%
Reed Timmer
2%
McKyle McIntosh
10%
Paris Lee
10%
Brenton Scott
5%
Milton Doyle
14%
Dequan Miller
No votes
Markis McDuffie
15%
Shaq Morris
5%
Jeremy Morgan
36%

Total votes : 59

Re: MVC POY

Postby Wufan » February 7th, 2017, 5:58 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
2livewu wrote:Yep, perfect Valley play. Another player making all conference that couldn't make WSU's roster.

There's NO way Lee and McDuffie aren't first team, at least today.

And if Timmer and or Brown make it, then I'll expect apologies forthwith to Jason Perez and Mo Evans, both of whom were at least 2 times the player that either Timmer or Brown are and neither made 1st team All Conference.

Perez was 1st Team in 2000.

That he was. His stats and play were terrific (20 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 steals per game). His team was not, but they did win 5 conference games.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby municup14 » February 7th, 2017, 7:22 pm

2livewu wrote:Yep, perfect Valley play. Another player making all conference that couldn't make WSU's roster.

And if Timmer and or Brown make it, then I'll expect apologies forthwith to Jason Perez and Mo Evans, both of whom were at least 2 times the player that either Timmer or Brown are and neither made 1st team All Conference.

If you remember the shockers recruited JB out of high school,so therefore JB could have made Wichitas roster
municup14
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Wufan » February 7th, 2017, 8:12 pm

municup14 wrote:

If you remember the shockers recruited JB out of high school,so therefore JB could have made Wichitas roster

I'm not going to comment on who can and can't make WSUs roster, but WSU recruits lots of players, many of whom could not make the roster. Brown was never offered by WSU for reasons beyond my knowledge.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redhawk » February 8th, 2017, 7:12 am

Is it possible to clinch the POY award on a Tuesday night in early February?
Last edited by Redhawk on February 8th, 2017, 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » February 8th, 2017, 8:20 am

Redhawk wrote:Is it possible to clinch the POY award on a Tuesday night in early February!

Not against Drake after laying an egg the previous game.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » February 8th, 2017, 9:36 am

Redhawk wrote:Is it possible to clinch the POY award on a Tuesday night in early February?

Is it possible to clinch not being POY on a Saturday night in early February?
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redhawk » February 8th, 2017, 10:50 am

Cdizzle wrote:
Redhawk wrote:Is it possible to clinch the POY award on a Tuesday night in early February?

Yes...but I think they way Paris bounced back with an awesome performance in what many thought was a
"trap game" makes him the outright leader that will be hard to overtake.
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » February 8th, 2017, 11:36 am

Redhawk wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:

Yes...but I think they way Paris bounced back with an awesome performance in what many thought was a
"trap game" makes him the outright leader that will be hard to overtake.

Why? If you compare conference stats, someone like Landry Shamet stacks up very favorably against Lee.

I'm not anti-Lee, I just don't understand the notion that for some reason he has the award in the bag.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redhawk » February 8th, 2017, 11:50 am

Cdizzle wrote:Why? If you compare conference stats, someone like Landry Shamet stacks up very favorably against Lee.

I'm not anti-Lee, I just don't understand the notion that for some reason he has the award in the bag.

It's not in the bag but if the award was only about comparing stats then FVV might not have won last year.
Redhawk
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » February 8th, 2017, 11:53 am

Redhawk wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:Why? If you compare conference stats, someone like Landry Shamet stacks up very favorably against Lee.

It's not in the bag but if the award was only about comparing stats then FVV might not have won last year.

Agreed. Except FVV had the whole 4-game lead on the field thing going for him. Lee does not.

It gets more difficult to say "well Lee just makes the team go and they are 12-1" as some sort of defining comparative characteristic when one could say "well Shamet just makes the team go and they are 11-1."

I agree that it is not, and should not, be just about comparing stats. But at this point, in the comparison I've given, the head-to-head between Lee and Shamet is a wash at best. The raw stats are a wash at best. The conference-only stats favor Shamet. The advanced stats heavily favor Shamet. And the team performance is a wash, at best.

I'm not here advocating Shamet for POY. I'm just here saying "I'm not sure why folks think Lee is POY at this point."
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball