MVC POY

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Which player not on your team will win POY?

Sean O'Brien
3%
Reed Timmer
2%
McKyle McIntosh
10%
Paris Lee
10%
Brenton Scott
5%
Milton Doyle
14%
Dequan Miller
No votes
Markis McDuffie
15%
Shaq Morris
5%
Jeremy Morgan
36%

Total votes : 59

Re: MVC POY

Postby glm38 » February 1st, 2017, 7:35 pm

I think Alize Johnson is the NOY, a first team all MVC selection, and I think he'll get some POY votes (but won't win it). He's the leading rebounder by a wide margin and last I checked in the top 5 in scoring. IMO he's having as good a year as anyone. Unfortunately he plays for a mediocre team. That mediocrity a direct result of coaching ineptitude.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Wufan » February 1st, 2017, 8:03 pm

bleach wrote:Is/should coaching be factored into voting for conference awards? Anyone who watches the Bears can see that Alize would have even better stats and be on a much better (record wise) team with a different coach. Is it a case of Alize is really impressive no matter the coach and record or Alize chose his coach and must live with the results? If Evansvilles players stats get discounted because of their coaches system, should Alize get bonus points because of his coaches "system"?

Perhaps my yellow glasses, but I think his stats and PT would be far less in Wichita. Regardless, he's a hell of a player!
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » February 1st, 2017, 8:21 pm

Wufan wrote:
bleach wrote:Is/should coaching be factored into voting for conference awards? Anyone who watches the Bears can see that Alize would have even better stats and be on a much better (record wise) team with a different coach. Is it a case of Alize is really impressive no matter the coach and record or Alize chose his coach and must live with the results? If Evansvilles players stats get discounted because of their coaches system, should Alize get bonus points because of his coaches "system"?

Perhaps my yellow glasses, but I think his stats and PT would be far less in Wichita. Regardless, he's a hell of a player!

Maybe. To me that's a tough call though. I think a coach like Marshall would utilize him correctly and he wouldnt have to go 1:1 as much as he does now. And he (Alize) likely wouldn't see all the double teams he's seeing now if he were a shocker.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby bleach » February 2nd, 2017, 3:53 am

That was the point of my post. As good as he is, it is all RAW talent that would be used better in a good system like HCGM would have.
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Postby glm38 » February 2nd, 2017, 6:19 am

bleach wrote:That was the point of my post. As good as he is, it is all RAW talent that would be used better in a good system like HCGM would have.

Yes I was agreeing with you. I think we'll get our coaching either at the end of this season or the next. Obviously this year would be better and it would be great to see what Johnson can do with a decent coach at the helm.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ahunte1 » February 3rd, 2017, 10:16 am

SubGod22 wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:I have no idea how Willis is in a Top 5. I wouldn't put him 2nd Team at this point, much less in the running for POY.

I agree with this.

Honestly, I think it comes down to Lee or McIntosh. My vote would be for Lee but I think either are worthy.

For what it's worth, Willis is no longer in the Kenpom top 5. Guessing he was lingering there based on early season performance. It's currently: Doyle, Hawkins, Lee, McDuffie, McIntosh.

I think Alize Johnson will end up on the first team, but the McIntosh injury and possibly the Hawkins legal issue will throw a wrench into this for most voters. Hard to predict.
ahunte1
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby 2livewu » February 5th, 2017, 3:37 pm

2livewu wrote:Last several years I don't really remember struggling to pick 1st teamers beyond a pool of say 8 players, usually less. You could ink in 3-4 without any problem, then argue about the last 1 or 2 from a group of 3 or 4.

No so much this year.

Even if you eliminate all WSU players because of their depth not allowing consistent play, I think you still struggle to pick an auto 5.

ISUr gives you 3 solid options...certainly Lee and McIntosh have to merit strong consideration. Hawkins will get some votes. Alize Johnson should be a lock, right? Jeremy Morgan? Milton Doyle has to be there.

How about Jaylon Brown? Leads the league in scoring. Miller scores more than Johnson for MSU. Donte Ingram is close to Doyle in scoring and a better rebounder and defender. Someone will say Reed Timmer.

Scott for ISUb probably is on too bad a team to be considered. BU doesn't have a standout. SIU probably not either but Rodriguez has been very good in conference.

There are 2 teams (ISUb and UE) that would put Shaq Morris for POY. Shamet and McDuffie are all over the stats pages. Both are very good. Shamet is probably the FOY at this point.

Almost half way and the only 2 I feel certain are 1st team are Johnson and Lee. The 2nd team will be outstanding.

2/3 of the way through the season and I'm even more confused. Insert Sean O'Brien into the mix for the 3rd place Salukis. How do you leave McDuffie off the team?

Can the 1st team not include Morgan? I think it very well may just do that. McIntosh will miss close to half the conference season. Six more games of Frankamp playing like he has and he's in the mix.

Lee is the only one I'm confident in right now, but I am not sure he's POY if WSU wins the conference. If they tie or ISU wins, then maybe 90% it's him.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » February 5th, 2017, 4:27 pm

A lot has changed. A lot of season left. Lee + who? Probably got to add Hawkins with McIntosh out, provided ISUr finishes with 2 or fewer losses. McDuffie and Shamet will both be borderline first/second team, but a 17-1 finish has to push them to first team right?

I like Doyle, Johnson, Morgan, and O'Brien/Rodriguez as difference makers on good mid-pack teams. McIntosh still a second teamer despite missing 1/3 of the MVC. Stat stuffers Brown, Scott, and Timmer fight it out for the last spot. The league awards senior Brown. Too easy for the voters to leave off Bradley.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » February 6th, 2017, 9:59 am

This has become a mess. McIntosh is going to miss enough games in the league season to make his inclusion questionable. Hawkins has some off the court issues. Paris Lee is probably still the front-runner in the media, but just laid a giant turd in a big game against his competitors. If you start comparing stats, and especially any sort of advanced stats between, say Lee and McDuffie, it's a pretty obvious choice. If you emphasize conference performance, it gets even more obvious.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Stickboy46 » February 6th, 2017, 10:13 am

KenPom now has McDuffie as the Player of the Year for the Valley.

Missouri Valley Conference
all-kenpom.com
Rank Player
1 Markis McDuffie, Wichita St. (So)
2 Milton Doyle, Loyola Chicago (Sr)
3 Darral Willis, Wichita St. (Jr)
4 Jaylon Brown, Evansville (Sr)
5 Deontae Hawkins, Illinois St. (Jr)

Offensive Rtgs (At least 40% of minutes)
All players
Rank Player Team Ht Wt Yr ORtg
1 Landry Shamet Wichita St. 6-4 188 Fr 137.2 (17.6)
2 Conner Frankamp Wichita St. 6-1 172 Jr 133.3 (15.2)
3 Rauno Nurger Wichita St. 6-10 238 Jr 127.9 (15.3)
4 Markis McDuffie Wichita St. 6-8 212 So 126.7 (23.1)
5 Donte Ingram Loyola Chicago 6-6 215 Jr 126.0 (20.0)
6 Phil Fayne Illinois St. 6-9 200 So 122.8 (19.8)
7 Obediah Church Missouri St. 6-7 217 So 122.2 (13.1)
8 Ore Arogundade Drake 6-3 185 Jr 120.3 (19.4)
9 Jordan Ashton Northern Iowa 6-4 192 Sr 117.1 (13.1)
10 Reed Timmer Drake 6-1 185 Jr 116.8 (25.1)
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball