MVC POY

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Which player not on your team will win POY?

Sean O'Brien
3%
Reed Timmer
2%
McKyle McIntosh
10%
Paris Lee
10%
Brenton Scott
5%
Milton Doyle
14%
Dequan Miller
No votes
Markis McDuffie
15%
Shaq Morris
5%
Jeremy Morgan
36%

Total votes : 59

Re: MVC POY

Postby Stickboy46 » December 12th, 2016, 12:42 pm

uniftw wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:
BuBrave2006 wrote:
What I want to know is why he had 0 in the first half.

And why it took a super-homer 26 FTA disparity at home to hold off North Dakota.

He was quite passive in the fist half. The offense wasn't flowing well but Spencer Haldeman and Klint Carlson were hot. Spencer was 3-6 with 8 points, Carlson was 3-6 with 6 points and even Hunter Rhodes at 7 points on 2-3 from the field (2 free throws as well).

He came out and hit is first shot about 20 seconds into the half. About a minute later a ref screwed him over by calling a loose ball OOB against him. A ball that never went OOB, nor was it ever touched by him. At that point you could see something click in his head and it was game on.

If by "super homer" on the free throw attempts you mean 8 of them coming in the final 1:33 of the game as UND was trying to extend the game and Morgan making sure he had the ball then it was homer calls. If by "super homer" you mean drawing multiple "and 1" opportunities as he drove past his man for a lay up, then yes they were homer. Morgan took over rebounding as well. UND crashed the boards hard, and in the process commited a ton of fouls by jumping through Jeremy as he was going for the rebound. Thus earning the bonus and free throws.

At one point in the second half he was 2-8 on free throws and many of those misses at the front end of a 1-1 early in the second half. He finished 16-22.

Here's the interactive box score. Feel free to browse the second half play by play.
http://unipanthers.com/boxscore.aspx?pa ... ll&id=4197

The replay is on ESPN3. Feel free to watch it. I'd argue that for a large part of that game a majority of the calls went UND's way.

All this is irrelevant. A team hoping for an at-large coming into the year shouldn't have let North Dakota (at home) be close enough at the 1:33 mark to even think that fouling to extend the game is reasonable. Great game by Morgan, tempered by the fact that quality of opponent was bad and they needed all 38 points to win it.

That said, Morgan, Scott, and Jackson are your front runners for POY IMO. If he maintains, Jackson has NCOY locked up.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Cdizzle » December 12th, 2016, 4:04 pm

Has to be Timmer though, right?
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BEARZ77 » December 13th, 2016, 8:10 am

Stickboy46 wrote: If he maintains, Jackson has NCOY locked up.

No knock on Jackson as he has been tremendous so far and that .776 fg% is insane, but I think the race for NOY is pretty wide open. Johnson just won his second NOW award with 2 double/double games this past week[ he has 4 to date] and at 6'9 can do a few more things. Perhaps sneaking into the fray as the season progresses however is MSU's other juco starter Ronnie Rousseau. Ronnie stated the season less focused on scoring and more on being the offensive director as pg ,but recently has started to become much more assertive with the ball. He's averaged 19 a game the past 2 , 14 ppg overall , is shooting 52% fg as a 5'9 guard and has a 3:1 assists to turnover ratio. Very offensively talented little guard. Add Willis and Smith's increasing roles at WSU and I'm sure there are some other newcomers to note as well, and this may be the best non freshman group we've seen in a while in the MVC. All these guys are very talented and it will be fun to see who can maintain thru the grind of the MVC conference season and perhaps even take their game up another notch.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Stickboy46 » December 13th, 2016, 8:28 am

BEARZ77 wrote:
Stickboy46 wrote: If he maintains, Jackson has NCOY locked up.

No knock on Jackson as he has been tremendous so far and that .776 fg% is insane, but I think the race for NOY is pretty wide open. Johnson just won his second NOW award with 2 double/double games this past week[ he has 4 to date] and at 6'9 can do a few more things. Perhaps sneaking into the fray as the season progresses however is MSU's other juco starter Ronnie Rousseau. Ronnie stated the season less focused on scoring and more on being the offensive director as pg ,but recently has started to become much more assertive with the ball. He's averaged 19 a game the past 2 , 14 ppg overall , is shooting 52% fg as a 5'9 guard and has a 3:1 assists to turnover ratio. Very offensively talented little guard. Add Willis and Smith's increasing roles at WSU and I'm sure there are some other newcomers to note as well, and this may be the best non freshman group we've seen in a while in the MVC. All these guys are very talented and it will be fun to see who can maintain thru the grind of the MVC conference season and perhaps even take their game up another notch.

You are correct, I completely forgot about Johnson. He was really impressive, though with MSU's games not being so great overall, I think it caused me to really forget about him. He's definitely in the running. I don't see Willis or Smith making it there though. Just not enough points to go around at WSU to compete with some of these others. They will be key parts of WSU's success just wont be dropping 20 on a regular basis with the way the offense moves.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » December 13th, 2016, 9:11 am

Cdizzle wrote:Might have to be by 3+ games. PPG is all that matters.

PPG rule is not always true. See FVV over Balentine last year in POY voting (the right choice obviously)
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Blers » December 13th, 2016, 12:56 pm

Haven't seen Johnson play but I've heard he's been doing nice things for the bears! I wouldn't rule him out myself either.
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BuBrave2006 » December 13th, 2016, 2:35 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:

PPG rule is not always true. See FVV over Balentine last year in POY voting (the right choice obviously)

Pretty sure he was just making fun of the Timmer advocates.
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » December 13th, 2016, 3:10 pm

BuBrave2006 wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:

Pretty sure he was just making fun of the Timmer advocates.

No it was in reference to WSU being too balanced that they won't have any real candidates for POY. Read the bottom of page 15.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » December 13th, 2016, 3:13 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:
BuBrave2006 wrote:Pretty sure he was just making fun of the Timmer advocates.

No it was in reference to WSU being too balanced that they won't have any real candidates for POY. Read the bottom of page 15.

Well, you're both sort of right, though mostly BuBrave. Less in reference to POY and more to 1st Team. More in reference to Timmer, and less in reference to Morgan.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » December 13th, 2016, 4:00 pm

UNI's struggles should not be a reason Jeremy doesn't win POY.

He is currently averaging:
18.1 ppg
7.3 rpg
3.2 apg
1.7 bpg
3.0 spg (6th in the country)

So not only should he be POY, but he should absolutely be DPOY up to this point in the season. All of this could change, but right now there is no doubt who the best player in the conference currently is.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball