No votes
Greg (Boo) Williams, MSU
No votes
Juwan McCloud, UNI
22%

Total votes : 49

Re: MVC FOY

Postby BuBrave2006 » January 3rd, 2017, 12:15 pm

Darrell Brown is a good player right now. Anyone who has seem him play knows that. He has the talent and the numbers to justify being in the FOY conversation and likely will be on the All Freshman team, but will not win FOY. Shamet is the obvious frontrunner right now.

In two or three years, with proper development, Brown could certainly become good enough to make All-Valley teams. I think saying he could be a potential POY is a little optimistic, but the dude can play and I am very happy to have him on my team for the next four years...regardless of whether or not he wins any awards.
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby squirrel » January 3rd, 2017, 2:28 pm

FWIW, the Braves 4 top producers in conference play are all first-year players (3 frosh and a junior transfer):

(conference stats only, 2 games)

D. Brown (FR) 13.0 ppg, 3.5 apg, 1.3 rpg
N. Kennell (FR) 10.0 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 50% 3pt%
J. McGlaston (JR) 8.5 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 2.0 apg
K. Bar (FR) 7.5 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 57.1% FG%

I agree that it is doubtful any of the 3 are ever in the FOY or POY convo, but as tribe said earlier in the thread, if Bradley is contending in year 5 of the Wardle tenure, those 3 as seniors will still be top 7 roster guys.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Stickboy46 » January 3rd, 2017, 2:39 pm

squirrel wrote:FWIW, the Braves 4 top producers in conference play are all first-year players (3 frosh and a junior transfer):

(conference stats only, 2 games)

D. Brown (FR) 13.0 ppg, 3.5 apg, 1.3 rpg
N. Kennell (FR) 10.0 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 50% 3pt%
J. McGlaston (JR) 8.5 ppg, 5.0 rpg, 2.0 apg
K. Bar (FR) 7.5 ppg, 5.5 rpg, 57.1% FG%

I agree that it is doubtful any of the 3 are ever in the FOY or POY convo, but as tribe said earlier in the thread, if Bradley is contending in year 5 of the Wardle tenure, those 3 as seniors will still be top 7 roster guys.

I agree. I think the talent level will be there for Bradley to have a top half finish in the next couple of years. I don't see anything on the team that will top WSU's Freshman/Sophomores (Shamet, McDuffie, Reaves, and to an extent Keyser) but definitely enough there for a top 3 to 5 finish and a good non-con in a couple of years. Bar needs to put some weight on him and he could be really good.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » January 3rd, 2017, 5:44 pm

Regardless of individual accolades, or lack thereof, Bradley (and Loyola) are bringing in the right level of talent to improve their TEAM in the coming years. Keep at it!
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mvcfan » January 3rd, 2017, 10:42 pm

Last year, i remember some touting Suggs as the PG of the future at Bradley. What happened? You just cannot replace Freshman talent each year with other Freshmen.
mvcfan
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » January 4th, 2017, 6:37 am

mvcfan wrote:Last year, i remember some touting Suggs as the PG of the future at Bradley. What happened? You just cannot replace Freshman talent each year with other Freshmen.

I think that's a great philosophy! Suggs is still on the team but has a greatly diminished role as Wardle has recruited over him.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby squirrel » January 4th, 2017, 8:11 am

Wufan wrote:
mvcfan wrote:Last year, i remember some touting Suggs as the PG of the future at Bradley. What happened? You just cannot replace Freshman talent each year with other Freshmen.

I think that's a great philosophy! Suggs is still on the team but has a greatly diminished role as Wardle has recruited over him.

I don't know too many that would've declared Suggs the "Point guard of the future" (unless it was one of the wonder twins). He played PG out of necessity because he was the only player that wasn't a walking turnover playing it.

That said, Bradley could use his production, but part of building a program is putting in place the pieces you need to compete, and it's hard to make a case for minutes for him over those who already playing & contributing. But if someone gets hurt of suspended, Bradley probably won't lose too much, which is also kind of nice when you've been where they've been the past few years.

The old 5/8 rule was meant to curb the top programs from hoarding the best players every year. The Valley capitalized from that rule more than any other league.

And I don't know that I agree with your original comment. If the freshmen are an improvement and the overall talent gets better every year, there is nothing wrong with it.

That said, it can get taken to extremes...for instance if Wardle regrouped with 10 more new players this year, 8 next etc...but that's not what is happening here.
squirrel
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BuBrave2006 » January 4th, 2017, 8:37 am

Wufan wrote:

Suggs gave really good stability at PG last season, we didn't have anyone on the roster that could play it. This year we brought in two PGs who have moved over him. Now he is back to SG/SF, where he can't get minuted over Jojo, DLO, PItt, Kennell, etc. I like suggs and he was really helpful with us last season, but he just doesn't move the needle. He's sort of quick but not fast, he can sort of shoot, but not very well. He is the kind of person who can do a lot of little things well but isn't particularly great at any one thing. He's the kind of guy that's great to have on a five win team, but isn't going to get many minutes on a team that starts winning more consistently.
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Blers » January 4th, 2017, 10:41 am

Any fans care to give an updated scouting report on McCloud?? I asked during non-con but am curious for an update!
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Khan4Cats » January 4th, 2017, 11:07 am

Blers wrote:Any fans care to give an updated scouting report on McCloud?? I asked during non-con but am curious for an update!

He didn't start at Evansville Sunday for the first time all year. Came off the bench to score 13 points (second only to Morgan's 16 for UNI). 6 of those came on 2 3-pointers in the last couple of minutes, but he had only made 3 all year to that point. We'll see if this jumpstarts him, he is expected to come off the bench again tonight. Only shooting 25% from the field on the year and 5-28 from 3. You could see his confidence in his shot had been totally gone during the MSU game, but he did look to shoot a few more times at UE and even went inside for shots as well, the pull up jumper has not been seen though-I expect to see that more if he gets his confidence back.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball