Greg (Boo) Williams, MSU
No votes
Juwan McCloud, UNI
22%

Total votes : 49

Re: MVC FOY

Postby alap3 » December 5th, 2016, 3:51 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:
Blers wrote:Matt Chastain looked like a real gem 2 and a half games in before his ACL injury. He was as explosive a player as i've ever seen off the dribble and had a nice 3pt shot. Really hoping he can recover; even if he doesn't retain all his jumping ability he clearly had rock solid fundamentals and can still be a nice player.

In his place Cam Satterwhite has stepped up and has really begun to look comfortable. He's averaging 4 points and 2 boards and just under one steal and one assist in 14 minutes a game. The stats don't really tell it all though; the game doesn't look to big for him and he gets better every game; he was clearly gonna be brought along slower before the Chastain injury occured but since then he's contributed great minutes against Washington State (6pts, 6 boards, 2 steals), and came away with the dagger steal last night against SDS. He's not a FOY contender but by conference he potentially could take a jump and contend for the all freshmen team.

Our other Freshmen from Croatia Bruno Skokna is putting up 4.7 points, 2.4 rebounds and 1.2 assists in 17 minutes. I think he's going through some of what McCloud is going through at least offensively. He's only shooting 35% from the field, but based on what I've seen in open practices and even shoot arounds i believe he'll come around and score more by seasons end. He stepped up big time yesterday and got 6 boards in Ingrams absence; and makes one or two plays a game that show you why schools like Gonzaga pursued him. He runs the offense well at backup PG and like Cam is quickly adjusting to D1 defenses (1 TO in the last 3 games after 13 in the first 6 games). If he can get his shot to fall more consistently he's gonna be a weapon

I think Chastain had a shot to sneak into the FOY conversation, with him out though I think LU still has two rock solid players who may not amaze on a nightly basis as of now, but will make the right plays in the now and could be big time pieces as early as next year.

Chastain was never going to be in FOY conversations. Come on now.

Pretty impressive how you can predict the future.
alap3
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Blers » December 5th, 2016, 4:30 pm

alap3 wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:
Blers wrote:Matt Chastain looked like a real gem 2 and a half games in before his ACL injury. He was as explosive a player as i've ever seen off the dribble and had a nice 3pt shot. Really hoping he can recover; even if he doesn't retain all his jumping ability he clearly had rock solid fundamentals and can still be a nice player.

In his place Cam Satterwhite has stepped up and has really begun to look comfortable. He's averaging 4 points and 2 boards and just under one steal and one assist in 14 minutes a game. The stats don't really tell it all though; the game doesn't look to big for him and he gets better every game; he was clearly gonna be brought along slower before the Chastain injury occured but since then he's contributed great minutes against Washington State (6pts, 6 boards, 2 steals), and came away with the dagger steal last night against SDS. He's not a FOY contender but by conference he potentially could take a jump and contend for the all freshmen team.

Our other Freshmen from Croatia Bruno Skokna is putting up 4.7 points, 2.4 rebounds and 1.2 assists in 17 minutes. I think he's going through some of what McCloud is going through at least offensively. He's only shooting 35% from the field, but based on what I've seen in open practices and even shoot arounds i believe he'll come around and score more by seasons end. He stepped up big time yesterday and got 6 boards in Ingrams absence; and makes one or two plays a game that show you why schools like Gonzaga pursued him. He runs the offense well at backup PG and like Cam is quickly adjusting to D1 defenses (1 TO in the last 3 games after 13 in the first 6 games). If he can get his shot to fall more consistently he's gonna be a weapon

I think Chastain had a shot to sneak into the FOY conversation, with him out though I think LU still has two rock solid players who may not amaze on a nightly basis as of now, but will make the right plays in the now and could be big time pieces as early as next year.

Yikes. I hedged that prediction as much as possible with "had a shot to sneak into the conversation..." as in maybe be in the top 5; and I base that mostly on not having heard much buzz around too many freshmen in conference yet. I don't think he'd win; Darrel Brown/Landry Shamet are probably the leaders to get it now and i have to think McCloud will turn a corner at some point. I was just saying he looked to have the talent to make some noise as the 6th man off the bench. Tough crowd.
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby alap3 » December 5th, 2016, 4:46 pm

Blers wrote:Yikes. I hedged that prediction as much as possible with "had a shot to sneak into the conversation..." as in maybe be in the top 5; and I base that mostly on not having heard much buzz around too many freshmen in conference yet. I don't think he'd win; Darrel Brown/Landry Shamet are probably the leaders to get it now and i have to think McCloud will turn a corner at some point. I was just saying he looked to have the talent to make some noise as the 6th man off the bench. Tough crowd.

Sorry Blers for not being specific. I was talking more towards the post saying he would never have been in FOY contention. I felt there was nothing wrong with you saying "had a shot to sneak into" as it never really implied too much as I also feel he had a real slight chance. Sorry again Blers
alap3
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby Blers » December 5th, 2016, 5:18 pm

alap3 wrote:
Blers wrote:Yikes. I hedged that prediction as much as possible with "had a shot to sneak into the conversation..." as in maybe be in the top 5; and I base that mostly on not having heard much buzz around too many freshmen in conference yet. I don't think he'd win; Darrel Brown/Landry Shamet are probably the leaders to get it now and i have to think McCloud will turn a corner at some point. I was just saying he looked to have the talent to make some noise as the 6th man off the bench. Tough crowd.

Sorry Blers for not being specific. I was talking more towards the post saying he would never have been in FOY contention. I felt there was nothing wrong with you saying "had a shot to sneak into" as it never really implied too much as I also feel he had a real slight chance. Sorry again Blers

Oh no! You're 100% good Alap I understood what you meant. I guess I'm the one who wasn't being specific haha I was just following the thread. I appreciate the response tho, and am glad I'm not alone in thinking he had a shot! :Cheers:
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » December 5th, 2016, 6:46 pm

Right now, I think WSU has two players and Bradley has two players on the All-Freshman team. The ISUb player is probably fifth, but there's plenty of room for movement.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby tribecalledquest » December 6th, 2016, 3:46 pm

alap3 wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:

Did he "have a shot"? Well, yes, because he was a freshman on the active roster. But he wasnt going to produce at FOY levels. That's my point.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Bradleyfan1 » December 12th, 2016, 8:11 am

DBJ against Chi St ,14 pts on 4 of 7 shooting 2 for 2 from the line , 5 asst , a steal ,only one turnover and 2 boards. :dance:
Bradleyfan1
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Khan4Cats » December 12th, 2016, 9:45 am

Wufan wrote:Right now, I think WSU has two players and Bradley has two players on the All-Freshman team. The ISUb player is probably fifth, but there's plenty of room for movement.

Spencer Haldeman for UNI is currently averaging 10 points a game on 41% three point shooting.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » December 23rd, 2016, 8:19 am

The conference season is close to wrapping up. Here's the FOY leaders:

Darrell Brown, BU - 12, 2, 3
Spencer Haldeman, UNI - 10, 2, 1
Landry Shamet, WSU - 9, 3, 3
Koch Bar, BU - 6 & 6
Austin Reaves, WSU - 6, 2, 2

Did I miss anyone?
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Bradleyfan1 » December 30th, 2016, 9:25 pm

Bar went for 10 , 7 boards and 4 blocks

Brown 14 pts 4 asst and 3 boards

Honorable mention to Nate Kennel 10 ,2 asst, 4 boards, 6 foot 6 and IMO best shooter we got .

The future is bright. In Wardle we trust.

Shock the Shock!
Bradleyfan1
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball