MSU's Johnson POW/NOW

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

MSU's Johnson POW/NOW

Postby BEARZ77 » November 17th, 2016, 7:56 am

Missouri's State Alize Johnson was tabbed the top player in the Valley's 1st week. While the competition was weak, Johnson's stats were still eye opening as he shot .824 from the field, 60% from 3pt, was perfect from the foul line and averaged 18pts and 8 rbs . Given the competition, the real encouraging factor was his demonstration of all facets of his game as his ball handling and ability to score inside and out were on full display. At almost 6'9 he is a true stretch four who also rebounds. He needs to improve his interior defense, but offensively he is a pretty tough matchup for most teams because of that versatility.

MSU's other top juco , Ronnie Rousseau has also shined even though he hasn't shot the ball as well as he probably will to date. What has been encouraging is despite a history of being a prolific scorer, he has showed excellent pg mentality preferring to run the offense, using his ulta quickness and good handles to both get to the rim but also set his teammates up off the dribble. He has 12 assists vs just one to.

Tonights game won't show much as it's one of those we couldn't get a decent D-1 game so we went with a lower division to avoid any worse RPI than we already have, in a very weak noncon schedule. We do have a roadie vs DePaul coming up, a 1st round tourney game vs Southern Cal, and a home game against Valpo as probably most valid tests to see where we're at.
The Bear is the largest carnivore on the North American continent; beware the Bear!
BEARZ77
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

MSU's Johnson POW/NOW

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: MSU's Johnson POW/NOW

Postby shockalot » November 17th, 2016, 7:56 pm

Looks to be a legitimate higher level talent with so many apparent skill sets. If he displays them against high level competition then MSU could well be a top 3 team this year in the MVC.
shockalot
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Wufan » November 17th, 2016, 8:33 pm

I like watching Azize run the break! I'd watch them play D-III bonefonte pr whatever, but I'm pretty sure my wife keeps tabs on me during basketball season and I'm restricted to some unknown finite number of games. I hate to waste one of those on a D-III drubbing instead of a UNI/ISUr game in February.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby glm38 » November 17th, 2016, 9:35 pm

It's incredible how good a ball handler and playmaker Alize is at 6' 9".
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby RoyalShock » November 18th, 2016, 10:05 am

shockalot wrote:Looks to be a legitimate higher level talent with so many apparent skill sets. If he displays them against high level competition then MSU could well be a top 3 team this year in the MVC.

We saw some nice offensive proficiency from the Bears last year. The question will always be defense. Scoring 90 is nice, but not if you can't keep your opponent below there.
RoyalShock
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby Stickboy46 » November 18th, 2016, 10:23 am

RoyalShock wrote:
shockalot wrote:Looks to be a legitimate higher level talent with so many apparent skill sets. If he displays them against high level competition then MSU could well be a top 3 team this year in the MVC.

We saw some nice offensive proficiency from the Bears last year. The question will always be defense. Scoring 90 is nice, but not if you can't keep your opponent below there.

Well they held Fontebonne to 27!!!! ... Fontbonne sounds like a delicious French Dessert.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MSUDuo » November 18th, 2016, 10:34 am

RoyalShock wrote:

Must have been watching a different Bears team than me last year... The MO State Bears haven't been proficient since 'Zo's days
MSUDuo
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby RoyalShock » November 18th, 2016, 10:46 am

MSUDuo wrote:
RoyalShock wrote:

Must have been watching a different Bears team than me last year... The MO State Bears haven't been proficient since 'Zo's days

There's a good chance I'm not remembering them correctly. I thought I recalled them having some stretches of good offense but having trouble stopping their opponents. But when I look back on their schedule/results, I'm not seeing the scores I would have expected, were my recollection true. So, nevermind!
RoyalShock
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball