musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Re: November 19th - 20th MVC games

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Khan4Cats » November 20th, 2016, 8:43 pm

Rough shooting night. First real physical team to deal with (OU was long, but not overly physical) and we didn't handle it well. Shoot free throws better and we are in a different set. Don't know why we always are a poor free throw shooting team early in the season yet still end the season around 75% and near the top of the conference.

Get another shot a X next Saturday. Will be interesting to see what adjustments we make.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PantherSigEp » November 20th, 2016, 8:48 pm

Too many mistakes against a veteran and experienced Xavier team. A lot of uncharacteristic mistakes. I think the length of the Muskateers gave them problems, especially McCloud and Koch (once they started double-teaming him in the post). Free-throw shooting was the most surprising and settling for such poor shots at times were the most surprising. I think they passed up some shots and hesitated knowing that length would give them some issues (despite no blocks or tips that I can recall).

I definitely think the game went Xavier's way once they cranked up the defensive pressure, late in the 1st half. They did a lot of hand-checking but were typically called for being overly aggressive and physical on both sides of the ball. I think they got a few bailout calls at the end but UNI did plenty to put themselves out of position to get those calls. I'm excited for the rematch, that is definitely a team the Panthers can beat, even when making mistakes. Just can't have so many of them.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » November 21st, 2016, 8:28 am

Too many turnovers. Koch has really improved scoring wise offensively, but he needs to work on passing out of the double team. He had 6 turnovers himself yesterday. We showed our youth.

Also Xavier had a guy who could actually matchup with Carlson. He really struggled to get some of the shots or drives that he normally gets with less athletic players on him. Morgan is still amazing, but he needs some help. You could tell he knew he had to force because no one else was able to get shots off against the length and physicality of Xavier. Still to have a shot towards the end against a team the quality of Xavier is promising. Need to get better before playing them again on Saturday.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

Postby moshock » November 21st, 2016, 10:04 am

Good showing this week UNI. Hope you guys kick butt next time. :buddies:
moshock
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Cdizzle » November 21st, 2016, 11:27 am

Not sure what to make of WSU's start. On the one hand, pretty sure we've played 4 very poor teams (or at best 2 very poor teams and 2 poor teams). On the other hand, we have recently had teams very relevant on the national scene that struggled to do some things as easily as this group against bad competition (namely, score points at will). Things get real this week.

Good showing by UNI this weekend. I was pretty much in a cave, but heard there was a big comeback in that OU game? How did OU look, generally?
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby achrist70 » November 21st, 2016, 11:53 am

Arizona State will be competitive in the Pac 12 but probably finish somewhere around 8th, OU is still a little raw, but I expect them to finish top 5 in the Big 12, Xavier is as good as advertised, UNI had their opportunities vs them but could take advantage, it'll be interesting to see what changes are made for the rematch on Saturday.
achrist70
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Cdizzle » November 21st, 2016, 11:57 am

If Arizona St. is competitive in the Pac12, then the Pac12 is not very good. And while I think Xavier is quite good, they haven't exactly been blowing everyone out of the water either.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby specialsauce » November 21st, 2016, 12:31 pm

How would finishing 8th in your conference make you competitive? I don't see them finishing that high honestly. Davidson took them to the woodshed too.

I have not been impressed with Xavier at all. But then again, they're 4-0 and down a couple of guys. They're good, but not Top 10 good.
specialsauce
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » November 21st, 2016, 2:20 pm

Ah yes WSU fans everyone UNI has played so far sucks. We have no chance to compete in the Valley this year. WSU will run away and probably go 18-0. Good luck to the rest of the league competing for 2nd.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball