Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: November 19th - 20th MVC games

Postby Wufan » November 20th, 2016, 4:54 pm

Aargh wrote:Shox get 58 poonts from the guard positions

Frankamp - 11 (3/6 FG 1/3 3FG)
Shamet - 16 (6/7 FG 4/5 3FG)
Smith - 16 (4/5 FG 4/4 3FG)
Reaves - 15 (4/6 FG 4/5 3FG)

We scored 116 and nobody scored over 16! Zach Brown added 13 and McDuffie had 9 if you want to consider the 3 as part of the backcourt. Front court scoring was lead by Willis with 11. Kelly and Morris had 6 each. 16 players saw court time and 14 scored. The third team (#12-16) played the last 5 minutes. Eric Hamilton and JR Simon were the only players on scholarship in that group.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Stickboy46 » November 20th, 2016, 5:08 pm

Wufan wrote:
Aargh wrote:Shox get 58 poonts from the guard positions

Frankamp - 11 (3/6 FG 1/3 3FG)
Shamet - 16 (6/7 FG 4/5 3FG)
Smith - 16 (4/5 FG 4/4 3FG)
Reaves - 15 (4/6 FG 4/5 3FG)

We scored 116 and nobody scored over 16! Zach Brown added 13 and McDuffie had 9 if you want to consider the 3 as part of the backcourt. Front court scoring was lead by Willis with 11. Kelly and Morris had 6 each. 16 players saw court time and 14 scored. The third team (#12-16) played the last 5 minutes. Eric Hamilton and JR Simon were the only players on scholarship in that group.

Through 4 games, WSU has scored 373 points, an average Margin of Victory of ~37. At the beginning of the year most people thought WSU would need to rely on Morris and McDuffie to be successful. So far they have scored a combined 73 points. Or only 19% of WSU's scoring. WSU is rolling out 9-10 legitimate threats to double digit scoring every game. Through 4 games, there have been 5 different players lead the team in scoring for a game. Shamet and Smith (16 each) for MES, McDuffie (18) for Tulsa, Frankamp (15) for LBSU, and Nurger (14) for SC State.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Rollbird5 » November 20th, 2016, 6:27 pm

This isn't sarcasm or taking a shot at who you guys have played this far but I can't wait until wsu plays a good team. I want to see how the newcomers and vets alike play with some adversity or in closer games to see how they do and who steps up. Keep those wins coming tho!
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Aargh » November 20th, 2016, 6:56 pm

Rollbird5 wrote:This isn't sarcasm or taking a shot at who you guys have played this far but I can't wait until wsu plays a good team. I want to see how the newcomers and vets alike play with some adversity or in closer games to see how they do and who steps up. Keep those wins coming tho!

The competition to this point has been less than was expected. Long Beach State was supposed to be at least like a mid-tier Valley team. Bad news for the Valley is that they probably are, but have a brutal non-con schedule.

Tulsa was known to be in a rebuild. The MEAC teams were probably scheduled thinking the Shox lack of experience would benefit from a few "warm up" type of games. That lack of experience hasn't looked like much of a factor.

What we have learned, against obviously non-quality competition, is that the Shox are able to go 10 deep without much drop off from the starters. There's also not a lot of drop off at the PG and SG positions from last year. They play different, but from a results standpoint, the guards this year aren't a big drop off from the two NBA guys who graduated last year.
Aargh
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby isumvc1 » November 20th, 2016, 7:30 pm

30-30 in the UNI - Xavier game at the half, good game so far
isumvc1
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby isumvc1 » November 20th, 2016, 8:24 pm

nice comeback by UNI, but will it be too late? Been a tough night of shooting for the Panthers
isumvc1
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby musiccitybulldog » November 20th, 2016, 8:40 pm

Great UNI games to watch this weekend.
musiccitybulldog
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Khan4Cats » November 20th, 2016, 8:43 pm

Rough shooting night. First real physical team to deal with (OU was long, but not overly physical) and we didn't handle it well. Shoot free throws better and we are in a different set. Don't know why we always are a poor free throw shooting team early in the season yet still end the season around 75% and near the top of the conference.

Get another shot a X next Saturday. Will be interesting to see what adjustments we make.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PantherSigEp » November 20th, 2016, 8:48 pm

Too many mistakes against a veteran and experienced Xavier team. A lot of uncharacteristic mistakes. I think the length of the Muskateers gave them problems, especially McCloud and Koch (once they started double-teaming him in the post). Free-throw shooting was the most surprising and settling for such poor shots at times were the most surprising. I think they passed up some shots and hesitated knowing that length would give them some issues (despite no blocks or tips that I can recall).

I definitely think the game went Xavier's way once they cranked up the defensive pressure, late in the 1st half. They did a lot of hand-checking but were typically called for being overly aggressive and physical on both sides of the ball. I think they got a few bailout calls at the end but UNI did plenty to put themselves out of position to get those calls. I'm excited for the rematch, that is definitely a team the Panthers can beat, even when making mistakes. Just can't have so many of them.
[Insert snappy comeback]
PantherSigEp
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UNIFanSince1983 » November 21st, 2016, 8:28 am

Too many turnovers. Koch has really improved scoring wise offensively, but he needs to work on passing out of the double team. He had 6 turnovers himself yesterday. We showed our youth.

Also Xavier had a guy who could actually matchup with Carlson. He really struggled to get some of the shots or drives that he normally gets with less athletic players on him. Morgan is still amazing, but he needs some help. You could tell he knew he had to force because no one else was able to get shots off against the length and physicality of Xavier. Still to have a shot towards the end against a team the quality of Xavier is promising. Need to get better before playing them again on Saturday.
UNIFanSince1983
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball