November 28th - December 2nd MVC games

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: November 28th - December 2nd MVC games

Postby AceMatt » November 30th, 2016, 9:34 pm

It's the story of the year so far in the conference. 2-16 in games decided by 5 or fewer points.
AceMatt
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Blers » November 30th, 2016, 10:03 pm

AceMatt wrote:Everytime I check a Loyola box score, Aundre Jackson always stands out. How are the Loyola fans feeling about him? Was he expected to be this good?

Kid can flat out play. I've been comparing him to former Rambler Christian Thomas since the off season (undersized powerfoward graduated two years ago; you may remember him from the Loyola upset over Evansville at the buzzer, he hit the game winning layup) 6'5 but has a WIDE base. He has stellar touch below the rim and great footwork; he has an over under move that i've never seen a player finish so consistently. Norfolk had a huge team so they got a few blocks on him but he looks like a real steal.

Since the season started he's:

-always finished in double figures
-Named newcomer of the week
-Player of the week
-Paradise Jam all tourney team

I think a lot of fans expected him to be solid but he's blown away even my expectations; I'd be very surprised if he didn't end up on the all newcomer team by seasons end.
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Khan4Cats » December 1st, 2016, 7:59 am

Khan4Cats wrote:
tribecalledquest wrote:
Khan4Cats wrote:I figure Drake losing as a given, Bradley as a likely on the road, hoping for the ISUs and SIU to win at home but....

WSU and UE should have gimmes, though I expect Marshall will play his bench the entire second half while Marty leaves the starters in to score 30+. Loyola should be a walk over Norfolk. I don't want to guarantee a UNI win over George Mason, but if they are the team I hope they are, it shouldn't be close.

So 4 should wins, 1 almost certain loss, 4 I have no idea.

Damn, I miss 2005-06.

A Bradley win tonight would be good. EIU isn't a bad team at all.

I was more looking at it being a road game ass leaning towards a loss. EIU isn't great, but any win right now is good for the conference and a road win is a nice stepping stone for Bradley.

Pleasantly surprised to get the two non-WSU games last night. Bradley and SIU picked up games I had as question marks. 5 home games tonight for Valley teams, hope that pays off.

Come on Drake, surprise us. Please?

Well that sucked. Sorry bout that Valley. Sometimes (I hope) the shots just don't fall, and its tough to win that way. Held a team to 54 points, which included a bunch of free throws at the end, you would think that should be a winning formula, but...

I am hoping that this is just a team funk right now and not an indication of the team not being able to shoot straight. Still early and a chance to right that ship, but it's repeating a pattern for UNI. I trust Jake can get things turned. Hopefully we get Lohaus back this weekend to help also.

Overall, 7-2 is a pretty good stretch with Drake even showing a pulse on the road against a Big East team. UNI was a massive let-down for what could have been 8-1.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby ahunte1 » December 1st, 2016, 9:55 am

Blers wrote:
AceMatt wrote:Everytime I check a Loyola box score, Aundre Jackson always stands out. How are the Loyola fans feeling about him? Was he expected to be this good?

Kid can flat out play. I've been comparing him to former Rambler Christian Thomas since the off season (undersized powerfoward graduated two years ago; you may remember him from the Loyola upset over Evansville at the buzzer, he hit the game winning layup) 6'5 but has a WIDE base. He has stellar touch below the rim and great footwork; he has an over under move that i've never seen a player finish so consistently. Norfolk had a huge team so they got a few blocks on him but he looks like a real steal.

Yeah, he's been phenomenal for us. He was billed as a player like Christian Thomas, and that is pretty much exactly what he's been. He's 6'5" and plays with a lot of energy. He also moves laterally quite well, much like Montel James learned how to do last year. He's got a real knack for scoring and rebounding. Great to see a newcomer play with so much confidence right out of the gate.
ahunte1
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby ACECARD » December 1st, 2016, 10:41 am

isumvc1 wrote:well crap, Drake leads the entire way, then loses by 2 in the last few seconds at DePaul.

Sounds just like two of the losses that the Aces had in Nashville. Inexperienced teams just have to learn how to win. It takes time, hopefully it will happen.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby 2livewu » December 1st, 2016, 11:39 am

Khan4Cats wrote:Well that sucked. Sorry bout that Valley. Sometimes (I hope) the shots just don't fall, and its tough to win that way. Held a team to 54 points, which included a bunch of free throws at the end, you would think that should be a winning formula, but...

I am hoping that this is just a team funk right now and not an indication of the team not being able to shoot straight. Still early and a chance to right that ship, but it's repeating a pattern for UNI. I trust Jake can get things turned. Hopefully we get Lohaus back this weekend to help also.

Overall, 7-2 is a pretty good stretch with Drake even showing a pulse on the road against a Big East team. UNI was a massive let-down for what could have been 8-1.

Is Lohaus the only player missing? That's a pretty big offensive cog if you ask me.

Panthers didn't look good last night. Rhodes isn't much of a D1 player. Haldeman will be good but neither he nor Rhodes can stop much man to man. Spencer has upside, Rhodes doesn't. And post depth and athleticism is a problem. I have no idea why they didn't get more from Koch last night. He wasn't overmatched, in fact looked to have a lot of advantage but there was a lot of standing on O. I don't think they have to be, but right now this is a one dimensional team that has to make a LOT of unguarded or not closely guarded 3s, and in a good % to beat anyone of quality.

It is amazing what 1 game can do to the outlook though. After last night, it's easy to look at UNI and say if not for a complete OU meltdown up 18 they would be 1-4 looking squarely in the face of a 3-7 non-con record.

Why only 10 D1 games and you guys had a tourney right?
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Khan4Cats » December 2nd, 2016, 8:18 am

2livewu wrote:
Khan4Cats wrote:Well that sucked. Sorry bout that Valley. Sometimes (I hope) the shots just don't fall, and its tough to win that way. Held a team to 54 points, which included a bunch of free throws at the end, you would think that should be a winning formula, but...

Is Lohaus the only player missing? That's a pretty big offensive cog if you ask me.

Panthers didn't look good last night. Rhodes isn't much of a D1 player. Haldeman will be good but neither he nor Rhodes can stop much man to man. Spencer has upside, Rhodes doesn't. And post depth and athleticism is a problem. I have no idea why they didn't get more from Koch last night. He wasn't overmatched, in fact looked to have a lot of advantage but there was a lot of standing on O. I don't think they have to be, but right now this is a one dimensional team that has to make a LOT of unguarded or not closely guarded 3s, and in a good % to beat anyone of quality.

It is amazing what 1 game can do to the outlook though. After last night, it's easy to look at UNI and say if not for a complete OU meltdown up 18 they would be 1-4 looking squarely in the face of a 3-7 non-con record.

Why only 10 D1 games and you guys had a tourney right?

The way the tourney fell, it was hard to get an extra non-con game scheduled (the last added was non-D1 Coe, which we played the first Saturday-instead of a Friday/Monday combination that a lot of teams did). We also had a pretty grueling travel schedule last year and I believe Jake was trying to avoid that again even if it meant one less game.

The biggest thing to remember with UNI is that there are 11 of 16 players on the roster that had never played a game in a UNI uniform before this year. There are bound to be games where we look out of sorts. I am certainly of the belief that that was the case and we have much more upside than we showed. It is certainly frustrating as we did a lot of things that Jake coached teams usually do well (held the opponents scoring down, forced turnovers, didn't turn the ball over ourselves, didn't foul), we just didn't shoot well.
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » December 2nd, 2016, 10:49 am

Seems like having a bunch of new players is even greater reason to play a full slate of games.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby 2livewu » December 2nd, 2016, 12:34 pm

Is the rule still 29 games or 27 plus a tourney (up to 4)?

I'm not sure what the game at Xavier meant. Was it the 4th game exemption type game that UNI (and others) has done in the past?

It seems like if yes then they missed out on 2 potential games but idk.

Low turnovers is good, but man you guys play slow. No doubt just a few made shots wins that game but that was too many 3s and also no assists from PGs is an issue too.

I think you got a good team, but I'm struggling to see a very high ceiling.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » December 2nd, 2016, 12:43 pm

2livewu wrote:Is the rule still 29 games or 27 plus a tourney (up to 4)?

That's my understanding.

2livewu wrote:I'm not sure what the game at Xavier meant. Was it the 4th game exemption type game that UNI (and others) has done in the past?

I think it was just a regularly scheduled game? Otherwise, yeah, missing 2 games. I'm at the point where I understand teams like WSU and UNI playing a non-D1 school in the regular season if they can't work out a non-RPI bomb. But skipping out on a potential game seems like a bad move to me. Even if people are very in love with computer numbers these days, seeing a 25 or 26 in the win column is still pretty persuasive to a human selector. And while I can understand not wanting to burn out, and having a lot of new players; both of those things seem to push FOR the additional game to develop young talent and depth rather than against it.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball