December 5th - 9th games in the MVC

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: December 5th - 9th games in the MVC

Postby uniftw » December 8th, 2016, 11:14 am

Stickboy46 wrote:
Khan4Cats wrote:A few notes on the UNI win over South Dakota State:

UNI set a school and McLeod Center record and tied a conference record for made threes in a game with 20. SDSU played zone the entire game and UNI did a nice job of passing to find the open shot (21 assists on 26 made non-fast break shots).

UNI used their 5th different starting combination in the 8 games this year. We used only one line-up all season in each of the last two seasons. Part of this has been due to injury or illness (Lohaus/Koch), part of this is Jake still trying to find the right combinations.

Three freshman started in this game: true freshmen Juwan McCoud and Isaiah Brown and redshirt freshman Spencer Haldeman (along with Jeremy Morgan and Ted Friedman).

Koch and Carlson were essentially non-factors due to the zone and Hal 'Happy Whistle' Lusk.

Hunter Rhodes became the third Panther to score 20 points in a game this year, joining Morgan and Carlson.

Morgan was solid again with 17 points, 7 assists, 8 rebounds, 2 steals and a blocked shot with only 1 turnover and no fouls.

The win drops UNI out of the top 100 RPI for the first time this season and dropped our SOS to 38. Will fall again on Saturday with 200~ RPI North Dakota coming in.

Great win, but I'm really curious why they would play zone against you guys. For a team that shoots so many threes as UNI, it seems like a bad idea. I mean nearly ~70% of your FGA in this game were 3s. That's insane!. Live and die by the 3 though, its going to be a very up and down year for UNI if that continues.

Yeah, I'm all for shooting 3s but even with them falling last night I was going "Well, we could maybe at least try to pass it into the post".

It's tough to judge UNI right now. Ted played the lion share of the 5 man minutes last night. He is zero offensive threat. Less than Lucas O'Rear was. He does, however, play defense and rebound with the same tenacity that Lucas did.

With the zone SDSU was playing they weren't willing to step out on shooters so the guys were taking them and hitting them. The zone was set up to really take away the inside game, so I'm assuming all they scouted was Koch and Carlson down low. It took 75% of the game for them to rotate quickly to anyone besides Spencer.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby GarH » December 10th, 2016, 5:25 pm

Go Shockers!!!
GarH
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player