State of the Conference

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: State of the Conference

Postby Rollbird5 » December 30th, 2016, 10:31 am

AceMatt wrote:
specialsauce wrote:Big East appears to be overrated.

Creighton should win the Big East by at least 2 games and maybe get a 1 seed. I'm hoping for a Creighton vs Wichita round of 32 matchup

Creighton looks pretty good this year but I'd still be surprised if Nova doesn't win the Big East
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Ali » December 30th, 2016, 10:33 am

specialsauce wrote:Big East appears to be overrated.

Baller we know you hate CU as much or more than you like WSU, but this is a plainly inaccurate statement. From Matt Norlander:

Since being forced to adopt a no-FBS-schools, 10-team union in 2013, the Big East has averaged NCAA Tournament bids for half of its membership. It's on pace to do that again. A guarantee: The Big East will put at least five teams into this year's Big Dance. Why? As you'll see below, the performance in non-league play has secured the conference's fortunate fate for March. While the college landscape changed around the Big East, the league remained steady and refused to become a two- or three-bid outfit.

A lot of people predicted the Big East would be closer to the Mountain West than the Big Ten. Those people were wrong.

Look at this season: The Big East boasts four teams with legitimate expectations of reaching the Final Four in 2017. Only the ACC can claim the same.

Villanova (undefeated), Creighton (undefeated), Butler (11-1), Xavier (10-2) and Seton Hall (10-2) represent a heavy and mighty top half. (Sort of reminds me of that spell when the Big 12 was essentially split into "GOOD" and "EHHH" columns for four or five years in a row.) Nova is the No. 1 team in every ranking: AP poll, coaches poll, KenPom, Massey, RPI, KPI, all of it. The Wildcats have been the undeniable top club in the country for nearly a month now.

But the Big East is a lot more than the Wildcats.
(Not far) behind VU is Creighton and its quick offense, which puts up 90/game and has taken out Wisconsin. Butler's beaten Arizona, Indiana, Cincinnati, Northwestern and has a road win vs. Utah. This was supposed to be the down year for BU. Instead, it would probably be a No. 2 seed if the NCAA Tournament started tonight.
Xavier currently comes in at the 4 spot in the league's power rankings, but it was a 2 seed in last year's tournament, has a 10-2 record now and could wind up being the No. 2 team in the league standings again.
Ali
All MVC
All MVC

Postby specialsauce » December 30th, 2016, 10:42 am

I watched Nova struggle to beat DePaul at home. I watched Butler get beat by St.Johns. I continue to watch Georgetown flounder around.

Nova has a right to struggle (I guess) even against a horrible DePaul team because they have a national championship under their belts. I have a feeling Creighton will get exposed on the road, maybe even sooner (on Saturday)

I'm mostly just tired of these Big East gnats that continue to hang around Valley message boards acting like we give a crap. A "Valley is currently 11th behind the WCC" would suffice.
specialsauce
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby bleach » December 30th, 2016, 11:07 am

Mike wrote:5. SEC (.741)

Does this include that inspiring performance by the cheatin kitties against mighty Lipscomb?
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Previous

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball