State of the Conference

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: State of the Conference

Postby Wufan » December 21st, 2016, 7:20 am

Going into the conference season, you've gotta believe that WSU is going to finish first or second and that ISUr is going to finish somewhere in the top three. UNI will be top half. Drake will NOT lose out, but will finish last by at least three games. Bradley is a Thursday team. SIU and Indiana State are trending down, but there just isn't enough separation between those schools and Loyola, MSU, and Evansville to have any idea what will happen. A few teams are going to have nice seasons and a couple others will wonder what the hell happened.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby ACECARD » December 21st, 2016, 3:44 pm

Wufan wrote:Going into the conference season, you've gotta believe that WSU is going to finish first or second and that ISUr is going to finish somewhere in the top three. UNI will be top half. Drake will NOT lose out, but will finish last by at least three games. Bradley is a Thursday team. SIU and Indiana State are trending down, but there just isn't enough separation between those schools and Loyola, MSU, and Evansville to have any idea what will happen. A few teams are going to have nice seasons and a couple others will wonder what the hell happened.

In my opinion, a very realistic view of the Valley season this year.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby AceMatt » December 23rd, 2016, 11:00 am

Conference RPI between 9th and 12th is razor thin. The teams have been shuffling back and forth according to Warren Nolan. Its virtually a 4 way tie. If the Valley could've won just a few more close games they probably would have 9th locked up, instead they're sitting at 11-21 in games decided by 5 or fewer points.
AceMatt
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Old School MVC » December 23rd, 2016, 1:14 pm

The Valley is right behind the West Coast Conference. With ISUr playing San Fran (from the West Coast Conf) hopefully the valley can get the win tonight and leap frog them in the conference ratings also.
Old School MVC
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Ricardo del Rio » December 25th, 2016, 1:18 pm

specialsauce wrote:Your hard-on for the Big East leads me to believe that you're masking behind a fake name. At this point, if you're still grinding on that axe after several weeks, the only real conclusion is that you're really a BJ fan.

Weird.

I owe you a big time apology and I am giving it here and now.

I made a crappy and unjustified response to one of your posts a few weeks ago.

My post was a comedy of errors and false assumptions. I thought you were a Bear fan and I misread your post. So I fu**ked up all around.

Please forgive me.

rdr
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Mike » December 30th, 2016, 9:34 am

Colley's Matrix Conference Rankings - December 30, 2016 - Based on win percentage for non-conference games
1. Atlantic Coast (.852)
2. Big East (.833)
3. Big XII (.833)
4. Big 10 (.806)
5. SEC (.741)
6. Pac 12 (.727)
7. American Athletic (.643)
8. Atlantic 10 (.634)
9. Mountain West (.603)
10. West Coast (.583)
11. Missouri Valley (.561)
Mike
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby specialsauce » December 30th, 2016, 9:41 am

Big East appears to be overrated.
specialsauce
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby AceMatt » December 30th, 2016, 10:20 am

specialsauce wrote:Big East appears to be overrated.

Creighton should win the Big East by at least 2 games and maybe get a 1 seed. I'm hoping for a Creighton vs Wichita round of 32 matchup
AceMatt
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Rollbird5 » December 30th, 2016, 10:31 am

AceMatt wrote:

Creighton should win the Big East by at least 2 games and maybe get a 1 seed. I'm hoping for a Creighton vs Wichita round of 32 matchup

Creighton looks pretty good this year but I'd still be surprised if Nova doesn't win the Big East
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Ali » December 30th, 2016, 10:33 am

Baller we know you hate CU as much or more than you like WSU, but this is a plainly inaccurate statement. From Matt Norlander:

Since being forced to adopt a no-FBS-schools, 10-team union in 2013, the Big East has averaged NCAA Tournament bids for half of its membership. It's on pace to do that again. A guarantee: The Big East will put at least five teams into this year's Big Dance. Why? As you'll see below, the performance in non-league play has secured the conference's fortunate fate for March. While the college landscape changed around the Big East, the league remained steady and refused to become a two- or three-bid outfit.

A lot of people predicted the Big East would be closer to the Mountain West than the Big Ten. Those people were wrong.

Look at this season: The Big East boasts four teams with legitimate expectations of reaching the Final Four in 2017. Only the ACC can claim the same.

Villanova (undefeated), Creighton (undefeated), Butler (11-1), Xavier (10-2) and Seton Hall (10-2) represent a heavy and mighty top half. (Sort of reminds me of that spell when the Big 12 was essentially split into "GOOD" and "EHHH" columns for four or five years in a row.) Nova is the No. 1 team in every ranking: AP poll, coaches poll, KenPom, Massey, RPI, KPI, all of it. The Wildcats have been the undeniable top club in the country for nearly a month now.

But the Big East is a lot more than the Wildcats.
(Not far) behind VU is Creighton and its quick offense, which puts up 90/game and has taken out Wisconsin. Butler's beaten Arizona, Indiana, Cincinnati, Northwestern and has a road win vs. Utah. This was supposed to be the down year for BU. Instead, it would probably be a No. 2 seed if the NCAA Tournament started tonight.
Xavier currently comes in at the 4 spot in the league's power rankings, but it was a 2 seed in last year's tournament, has a 10-2 record now and could wind up being the No. 2 team in the league standings again.
Ali
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball