State of the Conference

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: State of the Conference

Postby Atlanta Ace » December 14th, 2016, 2:19 pm

SubGod22 wrote:
Atlanta Ace wrote:As a long time Aces fan, I can agree that the Aces haven't been relevant for a long, long time. I think the program was at it's lowest point when Marty was hired. Under Marty, it's been a slow rebuild. To think that this is the same Aces program as the one during the 2000's, it's not.

The typical UE recruit has changed since Simmons has been there. They are more athletic and talented. If anyone can turn the program around, I think he can. As an Aces fan... I hope he can. I'd like to think that being a former Ace himself, he can get the job done. That's why I've been patient/quiet.

Am I happy with the slow progress of the program, No. I would have loved to see the program back on it's feet in 4 years. But...there has been some progress. It would be much easier to can Marty and take a different direction, if I saw no change at all.

He's had a decade to turn the program around. How much longer does he get? I understand that it's better than when he took over, but at some point, doesn't there have to be a higher standard than that?

At some point... Yes
Atlanta Ace
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BirdsEyeView » December 14th, 2016, 3:13 pm

You Shocker fans are beating a dead horse here...

I think that's why they are getting frustrated with the posters.

UE and it's fan base has been really, really patient with Marty and have accepted progress, no matter how minimal it's been over the years. However, their "ceiling" and WSU's "ceiling is not the same, and financial backing is a major reason for that. Until they create an environment where failure to win championships is not acceptable from the President, AD, Coaches, Fans, etc. nothing can change. It's a mindset ingrained in them.

And, these Aces posters, have no say in affecting major change within the program...that starts from the top.

It's like screaming at the Janitor when you are really just mad at the Principal.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Blers » December 14th, 2016, 3:30 pm

Man we made it a decently long time before this whole thing became the dump on Evansville thread part 35. I understand frustrations but it gets redundant. The back and forth labeling of other fan bases is so toxic and frustrating to see; disagree and move on...

Point of the thread was more on the now and what the futures shaping up to be (I'm sure i'll get "if Marty's the future they'll go nowhere" which maybe true but lets move along). If nothing else I will give Marty kudos for pointing the team in a surprising direction for the time being. I wouldn't have been surprised if they only had 2-3 wins at this point when the season started. Which brings me to a question for Aces fans: what do you all that a result of? Is it more focused team play? Better than expected newcomers? Luck with opponents (no shade intended)? I'm curious!
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby GoAcesgo » December 14th, 2016, 3:53 pm

Blers wrote:Man we made it a decently long time before this whole thing became the dump on Evansville thread part 35. I understand frustrations but it gets redundant. The back and forth labeling of other fan bases is so toxic and frustrating to see; disagree and move on...

Point of the thread was more on the now and what the futures shaping up to be (I'm sure i'll get "if Marty's the future they'll go nowhere" which maybe true but lets move along). If nothing else I will give Marty kudos for pointing the team in a surprising direction for the time being. I wouldn't have been surprised if they only had 2-3 wins at this point when the season started. Which brings me to a question for Aces fans: what do you all that a result of? Is it more focused team play? Better than expected newcomers? Luck with opponents (no shade intended)? I'm curious!

Thanks for your comments, I don't comment very often because it's always seemingly an Evansville bashfest, but since you asked here are my thoughts....1. Most athletic Evansville team I have seen in the 27 years I have been a fan(Wiley being hurt might hurt on this standpoint) 2. Best backcourt combo we have ever had with Brown and Taylor. 3. Team defense has improved the last couple of years. 4. Deeper team than in years past. These are just to name a few...we could very easily be 8-2 gave up 2 games in the last minute early season, one thing I would like to ask the board is there info available about recruits star level on roster where they were rated coming into school, I know with a lot of research you could figure out I didn't know if there was one website you could find this info? Thanks
GoAcesgo
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Blers » December 14th, 2016, 4:17 pm

GoAcesgo wrote:
Blers wrote:Man we made it a decently long time before this whole thing became the dump on Evansville thread part 35. I understand frustrations but it gets redundant. The back and forth labeling of other fan bases is so toxic and frustrating to see; disagree and move on...

Thanks for your comments, I don't comment very often because it's always seemingly an Evansville bashfest, but since you asked here are my thoughts....1. Most athletic Evansville team I have seen in the 27 years I have been a fan(Wiley being hurt might hurt on this standpoint) 2. Best backcourt combo we have ever had with Brown and Taylor. 3. Team defense has improved the last couple of years. 4. Deeper team than in years past. These are just to name a few...we could very easily be 8-2 gave up 2 games in the last minute early season, one thing I would like to ask the board is there info available about recruits star level on roster where they were rated coming into school, I know with a lot of research you could figure out I didn't know if there was one website you could find this info? Thanks

Appreciate the response Go! In terms of star ratings i usually use this site:

http://www.verbalcommits.com/conference ... uri-valley

It's also a great way to track your teams offers to current recruits (though it's not completely comprehensive; Aundre Jackson didn't even have a profile before he signed with LU even though he had several other offers... idk if there are any other better avenues for recruiting info). It is also worth noting that basing talent purely off the star ratings can be end up misleading terms of how recruits pan out.
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby mule » December 14th, 2016, 5:29 pm

Blers wrote:
GoAcesgo wrote:

Appreciate the response Go! In terms of star ratings i usually use this site:

http://www.verbalcommits.com/conference ... uri-valley

It's also a great way to track your teams offers to current recruits (though it's not completely comprehensive; Aundre Jackson didn't even have a profile before he signed with LU even though he had several other offers... idk if there are any other better avenues for recruiting info). It is also worth noting that basing talent purely off the star ratings can be end up misleading terms of how recruits pan out.

Thanks for the comments too. Do you know how the average stars for the teams (i.e UE 2.083) is determined and if it is for recruits from the previous year or the next year's class? This number hasn't changed for any of the MVC teams since before spring signings.
mule
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby mule » December 14th, 2016, 5:36 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:You Shocker fans are beating a dead horse here...

UE and it's fan base has been really, really patient with Marty and have accepted progress, no matter how minimal it's been over the years. However, their "ceiling" and WSU's "ceiling is not the same, and financial backing is a major reason for that. Until they create an environment where failure to win championships is not acceptable from the President, AD, Coaches, Fans, etc. nothing can change. It's a mindset ingrained in them.

And, these Aces posters, have no say in affecting major change within the program...that starts from the top.

It's like screaming at the Janitor when you are really just mad at the Principal.

Thanks for the great prespective. I have read this forum since it's inception. I've always been disgusted by the few, but never posted. This season I could take it no more and decided these derogatory comments should no longer pass for the truth carte blanche.
mule
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Wufan » December 14th, 2016, 6:23 pm

mule wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:You Shocker fans are beating a dead horse here...

Thanks for the great prespective. I have read this forum since it's inception. I've always been disgusted by the few, but never posted. This season I could take it no more and decided these derogatory comments should no longer pass for the truth carte blanche.

Mule, it's one thing to stand up for derogatory comments. I totally support you on that. Also, yes, the Evansville is okay with mediocrity narrative has also run its course. However, I have noted MANY instances where you are attempting to call posters out for some perceived slight that just doesn't exist, not every time, but enough to be noticeable. Additionally, it is quite apparent that some UE fans are truly okay with mediocrity. While continuing to bring that up is neither helpful, nor informative, it is not a bash on Evansville...it just is what it is and it is frustrating to many.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby PurpleAcesFootball » December 14th, 2016, 6:24 pm

What has changed for UE? Style of play has been the biggest difference IMO and is why I am cautiously optimistic.

The team has not been playing 'Martyball' whether by necessity or design.. The 3 guys sets screens for Colt/DJ offense has been used less and I have seen more ball-screens this year then I remember in a long time.

Here's the most telling stat (sorry if formatting stinks)

Year Assists Made FG Ast/FG %
2010 423 668 63.3
2011 452 723 62.5
2012 509 801 63.5
2013 574 900 63.8
2014 485 775 62.6
2015 574 899 63.8
2016 595 875 68.0
This year 127 245 51.8

Norman Dale wouldn't be happy because there aren't four passes before every shot. But the JayB or Taylor find a mismatch and drive offense has been a much needed change, IMO.
PurpleAcesFootball
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby shockalot » December 14th, 2016, 7:38 pm

specialsauce wrote:Is it as cringe worthy as that awful color font fail?

Your obsession is noted, trollbert. So now that I know how much you like it...

Apologies to Biers.
shockalot
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball