Dec. 17-18 Games

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Dec. 17-18 Games

Postby Wufan » December 18th, 2016, 6:51 am

glm38 wrote:IMO WSU is still the best team in the Valley this year. But they have been fairly inconsistent. They really looked terrible last night. I'm not so sure the Shox run away with the Valley title this year?

To me this is really a down year for the entire conference. Pretty sure we are a one bid league but it will be an interesting year.

Shox were awful last night! One of the advanced analytics sights has WSU as one of the 10 most erratic teams in the country.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby AceMatt » December 18th, 2016, 9:32 am

glm38 wrote:IMO WSU is still the best team in the Valley this year. But they have been fairly inconsistent. They really looked terrible last night. I'm not so sure the Shox run away with the Valley title this year?

To me this is really a down year for the entire conference. Pretty sure we are a one bid league but it will be an interesting year.

The door is open for someone like Loyola to win the season title this year. Also Loyola has an important game at Toledo on Tuesday to keep their outside chance for an at large bid.

I don't doubt that Gregg Marshall will have his team rounded into championship form just saying the door is open.
AceMatt
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby alap3 » December 18th, 2016, 9:44 am

AceMatt wrote:The door is open for someone like Loyola to win the season title this year. Also Loyola has an important game at Toledo on Tuesday to keep their outside chance for an at large bid.

Love the optimism but as a LU fan I don't see a way they will win the season title or get an at-large bid. Wichita St is still the heavy favorites to win the season title as they should be. Plus their schedule is no where close to at-large worthy. Only way to go to the dance is thru St. Louis for them.
alap3
MVC Recruit
MVC Recruit

Postby AceMatt » December 18th, 2016, 9:54 am

If they went 11-2 out of conference 14-4 in conference. Go 2-1 in tournament. That would be 27-7. I think they could get in. That being stated, I don't think that is likely to happen. They could lose at Toledo on Tuesday and the conversation is certainly over then.

The starting line up is very good though and glad to see Ingram back for you guys
AceMatt
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Blers » December 18th, 2016, 10:19 am

Having Ingram back is huge. If arguably our 3rd or 4th best offensive player can take over a game I'm happy. Game was exciting but frustrating for LU. You had us coming off finals week and UIC coming off a huge win over DePaul. Refs were all over the place burying Milton, Aundre, and eventually Custer. At one point the announcers even said "I can't imagine what was called here."

UIC is going to be a good team, they killed us on the glass and we couldn't buy a bucket for most of the second half after a pretty strong start. Until our rebounding addressed I can't see us being favored over Wichita this season. Could we beat them on a good day? Yeah, I think we could. But Wichita probably wins 3 outta 4; mostly due to experience and size on the glass.

Should be a fun conference season though! Excited to see where we stack up.
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Old School MVC » December 18th, 2016, 10:42 am

There are only 2 teams in this conference that have ANY hope at an At Large bid (UNI and WSU). After that, you must win in St. Louis. I would even say that UNI must win at NC to have a chance after their back to back losses to George Mason and Wyoming.
Old School MVC
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby specialsauce » December 18th, 2016, 10:58 am

Redbirdgrad wrote:Looks like I was correct!

There was no trolling being done in that comment at all. Was simply noting that with the banter between Evansville fans and Wichita ones lately, I wondered how the tone of the posters from said schools would change.

It's not often someone comes into Wichita and thoroughly beats down the Shockers. Might be a while before we see that again. That type of outcome tends to set people on edge.

Case in point.

Relax, Championz, you're still the kings of the Valley. Everyone's due for an off night, right?

Nah, it was a troll job. That's why you put a time limit on it. It's expected from you with your passionate hate for the team you're constantly looking up to.

And yes. That's a good point. There isn't another team in the Valley within 100 spots of Oklahoma State so I expect those type of results not to happen again.

Good luck today with your band of 2500 at Redbird Arena.
specialsauce
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Stickboy46 » December 18th, 2016, 11:06 am

[quote="glm38"I'm not so sure the Shox run away with the Valley title this year?

[/quote]
I'm not so sure you can make that claim based on a poor night against a team that is way better than anyone in the valley. WSU couldn't make a shot last night and OSU was on fire and couldn't miss (though we left them wide open a lot).

Yet again, there isn't a team in the valley that is close to the same Caliber as OSU
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Rollbird5 » December 18th, 2016, 11:44 am

On the bright side looks like Wichita had a good day from the free throw line
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ACECARD » December 18th, 2016, 11:58 am

specialsauce wrote:
ACECARD wrote:Three rousing cheers for the Shocks, and UNI, for their sterling performances today. They both stunk up the place.

Apologies that we don't play Austin Peay School for the Blind every night.

Get back to me when Evansville wins a game of significance this millennium.

One thing you can always count on is that WSU fans are just as lousy losers, as they are winners.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball