Dec. 17-18 Games

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Dec. 17-18 Games

Postby TheAsianSensation » December 18th, 2016, 12:22 pm

It's getting late early for the MVC's at-large chances this year
http://bracketball.blogspot.com/ A national version of the world-famous TAS Bracketology. Spread the word
TheAsianSensation
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby AndShock » December 18th, 2016, 1:53 pm

AceMatt wrote:If they went 11-2 out of conference 14-4 in conference. Go 2-1 in tournament. That would be 27-7. I think they could get in. That being stated, I don't think that is likely to happen. They could lose at Toledo on Tuesday and the conversation is certainly over then.

The starting line up is very good though and glad to see Ingram back for you guys

This isn't 2006 anymore. No one from the Valley is getting an at-large with 7 losses this year, not even Wichita State. 7 losses gets you an RPI of 70+ in the 2017 Valley. 7 losses in 2006 Valley got you an RPI in the 30s.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbirdgrad » December 18th, 2016, 2:25 pm

specialsauce wrote:
Nah, it was a troll job. That's why you put a time limit on it. It's expected from you with your passionate hate for the team you're constantly looking up to.

And yes. That's a good point. There isn't another team in the Valley within 100 spots of Oklahoma State so I expect those type of results not to happen again.

Good luck today with your band of 2500 at Redbird Arena.

Trolling has time limits? Learn something new every day!

The 48 hours is pretty common fare from teams who don't take losing well. Wichita included. You vent, you post out of frustration, and them you come back to being somewhat level-headed in a few days. It happens to all teams but since Wichita fans dominate the board, it was time to get the popcorn ready...

Look up to??? Hahahahahahahahaha. Whooo boy that's rich. I despise the Wichita program. You don't win with class and you're worse when you lose. Your posters are obnoxious even though the fan base is generally cool in person. Overall, I'd love to have the success but not if it comes in the manner in which your posters carry yourselves. Sucks when a bunch of bad apples ruin it because Wichita used to be my favorite school to root for outside of ISU. But you had some success and unfortunately it came with idiots that it attracted to the program.

Taking parting shots at attendance huh... how far have you sunk as a person... Or as a different person since you have to change screen names every so often when the going gets rough. Hang in there kiddo. We're all here for you.
Redbirdgrad
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Khan4Cats » December 18th, 2016, 2:32 pm

Wufan wrote:Shox were awful last night! One of the advanced analytics sights has WSU as one of the 10 most erratic teams in the country.

I'd like to know the site, UNI has got to be up there as well. We are actually shooting a better percentage from 3 this year than we did last year with Bohannon and Jesperson. Getting to an average is a real b!tch though-last year was pretty much the same most nights except for our January dip, this year is 45-50% one night, 30% the next (or 20% like yesterday).
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Khan4Cats » December 18th, 2016, 2:44 pm

specialsauce wrote:There isn't another team in the Valley within 100 spots of Oklahoma State so I expect those type of results not to happen again.

Oklahoma State 42 RPI

Wichita State 67 RPI
Illinois State 76 RPI
UNI 106 RPI
Loyola 117 RPI
SIU 126 RPI
Indiana State 141 RPI

Evansville (155) and Missouri State (197) are also below 200, though MSU still has USC (18) left that should help.

Bradley is an improved team but carries a current 257 with two top 40 RPI teams left, and then there's Drake :(

The point is, no one has really helped themselves in the non-conference but there is a tick up this year with more teams in the upper half of RPI. Last year ended with 5 teams 170 or over, this year we have 7 155 and under.

And 6 within 100 spots of Oklahoma State
Khan4Cats
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby AceMatt » December 18th, 2016, 2:46 pm

AndShock wrote:This isn't 2006 anymore. No one from the Valley is getting an at-large with 7 losses this year, not even Wichita State. 7 losses gets you an RPI of 70+ in the 2017 Valley. 7 losses in 2006 Valley got you an RPI in the 30s.

Since you bring up RPI and 2006. The highest rated RPI team to ever be left out of the tournament was the 2005-2006 Missouri St. Bears. Their RPI rank was #21.

If you want an example of a team with a bad resume that did get an at large bid, look at the 1998-1999 Evansville Aces. They were 23-9 (13-5) on selection sunday with an RPI in the 70's. Their out of conference resume had no wins over power conference teams but did have 3 losses including a 30 point loss to SLU. In fact they had two 30 point losses and 5 double digit losses for the season. They still got in with a #11 seed in a field that takes 4 less teams than today's tournament.
AceMatt
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Rambler63 » December 18th, 2016, 3:59 pm

Illinois State up on St. Joe's, 41-27 at the half.
Rambler63
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby specialsauce » December 18th, 2016, 4:01 pm

Redbirdgrad wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Nah, it was a troll job. That's why you put a time limit on it. It's expected from you with your passionate hate for the team you're constantly looking up to.

And yes. That's a good point. There isn't another team in the Valley within 100 spots of Oklahoma State so I expect those type of results not to happen again.

Good luck today with your band of 2500 at Redbird Arena.

Trolling has time limits? Learn something new every day!

The 48 hours is pretty common fare from teams who don't take losing well. Wichita included. You vent, you post out of frustration, and them you come back to being somewhat level-headed in a few days. It happens to all teams but since Wichita fans dominate the board, it was time to get the popcorn ready...

Look up to??? Hahahahahahahahaha. Whooo boy that's rich. I despise the Wichita program. You don't win with class and you're worse when you lose. Your posters are obnoxious even though the fan base is generally cool in person. Overall, I'd love to have the success but not if it comes in the manner in which your posters carry yourselves. Sucks when a bunch of bad apples ruin it because Wichita used to be my favorite school to root for outside of ISU. But you had some success and unfortunately it came with idiots that it attracted to the program.

Taking parting shots at attendance huh... how far have you sunk as a person... Or as a different person since you have to change screen names every so often when the going gets rough. Hang in there kiddo. We're all here for you.

Judging by that lengthy response....

Truth hurts.
specialsauce
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby ShoxNAwe » December 18th, 2016, 5:32 pm

1. How many quality, statement wins are left on WSU's schedule?

2. How many consecutive wins would it take for WSU to get ranked again this season?

3. What other Valley team has a shot at being ranked anytime during the remainder of this season?
ShoxNAwe
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby glm38 » December 18th, 2016, 6:49 pm

Stickboy46 wrote:[quote="glm38"I'm not so sure the Shox run away with the Valley title this year?

I'm not so sure you can make that claim based on a poor night against a team that is way better than anyone in the valley. WSU couldn't make a shot last night and OSU was on fire and couldn't miss (though we left them wide open a lot).

Yet again, there isn't a team in the valley that is close to the same Caliber as OSU[/quote]

It remains to be seen how good OSU is. You realize they were picked 9th in the big 12? They looked pretty darned good yesterday against the Shox but most teams will look good if they have enough shooters and are left wide open like was happening that last game. To me the Shox looked like they just weren't playing hard at all. And also like they have no true on the court leader. And they have looked like that for several of their games this year.

If I were to wager on a MVC champion I would go with WSU. But I don't think it's a sure thing at all and the race may be very close both in the regular season and in st. Louis.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball