Dec. 17-18 Games

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Dec. 17-18 Games

Postby specialsauce » December 19th, 2016, 10:55 am

ACECARD wrote:
Redbirdgrad wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Nah, it was a troll job. That's why you put a time limit on it. It's expected from you with your passionate hate for the team you're constantly looking up to.

And yes. That's a good point. There isn't another team in the Valley within 100 spots of Oklahoma State so I expect those type of results not to happen again.

Good luck today with your band of 2500 at Redbird Arena.

Trolling has time limits? Learn something new every day!

The 48 hours is pretty common fare from teams who don't take losing well. Wichita included. You vent, you post out of frustration, and them you come back to being somewhat level-headed in a few days. It happens to all teams but since Wichita fans dominate the board, it was time to get the popcorn ready...

Look up to??? Hahahahahahahahaha. Whooo boy that's rich. I despise the Wichita program. You don't win with class and you're worse when you lose. Your posters are obnoxious even though the fan base is generally cool in person. Overall, I'd love to have the success but not if it comes in the manner in which your posters carry yourselves. Sucks when a bunch of bad apples ruin it because Wichita used to be my favorite school to root for outside of ISU. But you had some success and unfortunately it came with idiots that it attracted to the program.

Taking parting shots at attendance huh... how far have you sunk as a person... Or as a different person since you have to change screen names every so often when the going gets rough. Hang in there kiddo. We're all here for you.

Redbirdgrad, you are rapidly becoming my favorite poster to this forum. Your post was a pleasure to read.

That says a lot about you as a poster, which isn't saying much. Crybaby.
specialsauce
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby glm38 » December 19th, 2016, 1:01 pm

specialsauce wrote:
glm38 wrote:
It remains to be seen how good OSU is. You realize they were picked 9th in the big 12? They looked pretty darned good yesterday against the Shox but most teams will look good if they have enough shooters and are left wide open like was happening that last game. To me the Shox looked like they just weren't playing hard at all. And also like they have no true on the court leader. And they have looked like that for several of their games this year.

If I were to wager on a MVC champion I would go with WSU. But I don't think it's a sure thing at all and the race may be very close both in the regular season and in st. Louis.

So is Texas gonna finish 3rd?

I have no idea? I don't follow big 12 basketball that closely. I just remembered that osu was picked for 9th and had a horrible conference record last year.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Stickboy46 » December 19th, 2016, 1:28 pm

glm38 wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
glm38 wrote:
It remains to be seen how good OSU is. You realize they were picked 9th in the big 12? They looked pretty darned good yesterday against the Shox but most teams will look good if they have enough shooters and are left wide open like was happening that last game. To me the Shox looked like they just weren't playing hard at all. And also like they have no true on the court leader. And they have looked like that for several of their games this year.

If I were to wager on a MVC champion I would go with WSU. But I don't think it's a sure thing at all and the race may be very close both in the regular season and in st. Louis.

So is Texas gonna finish 3rd?

I have no idea? I don't follow big 12 basketball that closely. I just remembered that osu was picked for 9th and had a horrible conference record last year.

Preseason rankings don't really mean anything by this point. OSU will finish in the top half of the Big 12 and be a tournament team. I still don't think the race will be close. UNI is pretty much done for the year. ISU has a chance (depending on if they can figure out how to close out games) and Loyola has a chance (maybe? hard to tell with their SOS)
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby glm38 » December 19th, 2016, 5:53 pm

No preseason rankings aren't everything. But OSU certainly isn't a top 10 team or even close to that level.

UNI is done for the year? They have played themselves out of an at large bid for sure. But they have considerable talent and a great coach. I wouldn't count them out in the conference regular season or in the tournament.

I'd like to count MSU as a contender. We have the talent but I just don't see it with our current coaching situation.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby specialsauce » December 19th, 2016, 8:37 pm

glm38 wrote:No preseason rankings aren't everything. But OSU certainly isn't a top 10 team or even close to that level.

UNI is done for the year? They have played themselves out of an at large bid for sure. But they have considerable talent and a great coach. I wouldn't count them out in the conference regular season or in the tournament.

I'd like to count MSU as a contender. We have the talent but I just don't see it with our current coaching situation.

Nobody is saying that they're a Top 10 team. However, they certainly aren't a Big XII doormat either. There's a reason they're Top 5 in the country in scoring. They didn't just have a fluky offensive output against some crap WSU D. If you've seen any of their games or looked at their resume from what they've done so far this year, you'd realize they aren't a bunch of scrubs. That was a legitimate team who handed WSU their asses.

UNI has a history of shitting the bed throughout various points in the season and then seemingly picking things up at the right times. It wouldn't shock me if they pulled it together either, but right now, they look like a mid-pack Valley team - and playing like one too.

We don't know anything about MSU because they haven't played any sort of schedule. The one decent team you had was at home and that resulted in an L. Also, DePaul is horrible. That was a bad, bad loss.
specialsauce
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Old School MVC » December 19th, 2016, 9:02 pm

If I remember correctly, UNI started off conference last year 2-6. Needless to say we know what happened after that. I would never count them out.
Old School MVC
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdsEyeView » December 19th, 2016, 9:24 pm

specialsauce wrote:
glm38 wrote:No preseason rankings aren't everything. But OSU certainly isn't a top 10 team or even close to that level.

Nobody is saying that they're a Top 10 team. However, they certainly aren't a Big XII doormat either. There's a reason they're Top 5 in the country in scoring. They didn't just have a fluky offensive output against some crap WSU D. If you've seen any of their games or looked at their resume from what they've done so far this year, you'd realize they aren't a bunch of scrubs. That was a legitimate team who handed WSU their asses.

UNI has a history of shitting the bed throughout various points in the season and then seemingly picking things up at the right times. It wouldn't shock me if they pulled it together either, but right now, they look like a mid-pack Valley team - and playing like one too.

We don't know anything about MSU because they haven't played any sort of schedule. The one decent team you had was at home and that resulted in an L. Also, DePaul is horrible. That was a bad, bad loss.

Sauce -

How would you rank the Valley teams based on noncon performances to date?
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby specialsauce » December 19th, 2016, 9:53 pm

There's a lot of factors going into a ranking like that. What teams were expected to do, what they actually did, their SOS's, their W's and L's. If you take all of that in consideration, I'd go with:

1. WSU 8-3 - No bad losses (although a 17 point home loss even to a good team doesn't look good. No quality wins (although LSU's RPI has risen to 60. Won't hold in SEC play though)
2. Ill St 5-3 - No road wins, bad losses to Murray and Tulsa, decent win over St. Joe's
3. Loyola 8-2 - Based on their preseason expectations, they have exceeded expectations. They have no good wins (SDSU is not the same as years' past, even though that's a good W for Loyola), No bad losses (lost a one possession game at NC State)
4. UNI 4-5 - No good wins (Arizona State is kinda meh), no terrible losses (although losing by 23 to a mediocre Iowa team isn't too hot looking). Based on expectations, they seemed to have fallen short.
5. Ind St 4-6 - Easily the conference's best win vs. Butler, a series of one-possession losses and some bad ones to Northern Illinois and at home to WKU (18 points). No constancy at all here.
6. MSU 6-3 - No good wins (best one is to #130 NDSU). Played Valpo close at home but ultimately lost. Bad losses to Air Force and especially DePaul.
7. Evansville 7-4 - 2nd most wins in conference, BUT they've loaded up on a high fructose diet of cupcakes. They have an OK home win over Boise State. No terrible losses.
8. SIU 5-5 - No eye-popping wins, and everybody they've played with a pulse they lost.
9. Bradley 4-6 - Best win is a win at #196 EIU. The rest is... not good.
10. Drake 0-9 - When you're 1 of about 3 schools yet to record a D-1 win into late December, well 'nuff said.
specialsauce
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdsEyeView » December 19th, 2016, 10:31 pm

specialsauce wrote:There's a lot of factors going into a ranking like that. What teams were expected to do, what they actually did, their SOS's, their W's and L's. If you take all of that in consideration, I'd go with:

1. WSU 8-3 - No bad losses (although a 17 point home loss even to a good team doesn't look good. No quality wins (although LSU's RPI has risen to 60. Won't hold in SEC play though)
2. Ill St 5-3 - No road wins, bad losses to Murray and Tulsa, decent win over St. Joe's
3. Loyola 8-2 - Based on their preseason expectations, they have exceeded expectations. They have no good wins (SDSU is not the same as years' past, even though that's a good W for Loyola), No bad losses (lost a one possession game at NC State)
4. UNI 4-5 - No good wins (Arizona State is kinda meh), no terrible losses (although losing by 23 to a mediocre Iowa team isn't too hot looking). Based on expectations, they seemed to have fallen short.
5. Ind St 4-6 - Easily the conference's best win vs. Butler, a series of one-possession losses and some bad ones to Northern Illinois and at home to WKU (18 points). No constancy at all here.
6. MSU 6-3 - No good wins (best one is to #130 NDSU). Played Valpo close at home but ultimately lost. Bad losses to Air Force and especially DePaul.
7. Evansville 7-4 - 2nd most wins in conference, BUT they've loaded up on a high fructose diet of cupcakes. They have an OK home win over Boise State. No terrible losses.
8. SIU 5-5 - No eye-popping wins, and everybody they've played with a pulse they lost.
9. Bradley 4-6 - Best win is a win at #196 EIU. The rest is... not good.
10. Drake 0-9 - When you're 1 of about 3 schools yet to record a D-1 win into late December, well 'nuff said.

:+1: Good assessment. This is the good side of you. Very knowledgeable.

It looks like middle of the conference will be another tight race this year.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Stickboy46 » December 20th, 2016, 8:49 am

Old School MVC wrote:If I remember correctly, UNI started off conference last year 2-6. Needless to say we know what happened after that. I would never count them out.

"We know what happened after that"?? Last I checked they finished 4th (5 games out of 1st) and was no where near an at large bid. They got in by getting hot during the Arch Madness tournament. They made a respectable run before collapsing against Texas A&M. No where in that sentence were they ever challenging for the MVC regular season title last year. No trashing on their postseason accomplishment, but their regular season was under whelming for sure.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball