OMG WTF UNI?

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: OMG WTF UNI?

Postby uniftw » February 17th, 2017, 11:31 am

Cdizzle wrote:
uniftw wrote:Belmont should have been the addition after Creighton...not Loyola.

Or, and this is crazy so stay with me here, we could have added no one.

The fact that a bunch of people actually bought in to "Yeah we have a big endowment, oh sure we'll spend a bunch of it on athletics" and just ran with it is mind-boggling. A 3rd grader would know enough to say "OK, how about you start upgrading your program with all that money for a few years and we'll be very interested."

I was okay with staying at 9 at that time as well.

We rushed in a reactionary way and made a poor decision. We would have been okay running at 9 until a clear 10th showed up.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BCPanther » February 17th, 2017, 12:48 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
uniftw wrote:Belmont should have been the addition after Creighton...not Loyola.

The fact that a bunch of people actually bought in to "Yeah we have a big endowment, oh sure we'll spend a bunch of it on athletics" and just ran with it is mind-boggling. A 3rd grader would know enough to say "OK, how about you start upgrading your program with all that money for a few years and we'll be very interested."

We had to add somebody. Scheduling for the top of this league is borderline impossible now, can't imagine having to try to get two more.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Cdizzle » February 17th, 2017, 12:58 pm

BCPanther wrote:
Cdizzle wrote:

We had to add somebody. Scheduling for the top of this league is borderline impossible now, can't imagine having to try to get two more.

I'd rather take my chances.

The addition is averaging 193 in the RPI over 4 years.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Red » February 17th, 2017, 1:02 pm

I thought they came out and said they were not interested when the rumors started.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » February 17th, 2017, 1:05 pm

Red wrote:

I thought they came out and said they were not interested when the rumors started.

Yes. This league shows year after year that small, private, liberal arts schools are hotbeds of college basketball power. You can tell because their fans are so committed they always show up in large numbers on Thursday night in St. Louis.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby uniftw » February 17th, 2017, 1:31 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
Red wrote:

Yes. This league shows year after year that small, private, liberal arts schools are hotbeds of college basketball power. You can tell because their fans are so committed they always show up in large numbers on Thursday night in St. Louis.

:Cheers:

We call it Drake night but really it's mostly "Private School night" most years.

I'd have taken my chance with 9 MVC teams for a couple years. Chances are it wouldn't have been a long term situation for any commissioner were a damn.

But this is the MVC and Doug Elgin we are talking about.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » February 17th, 2017, 5:33 pm

I like LUCs upside right now. They don't scream title contender, but they look really close to top 100 for the next two years.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Drakey » February 17th, 2017, 6:56 pm

You can pick on Drake Evansville and Bradley because they are easy targets, but making a statement that small private liberal arts schools produce bad basketball programs is ridiculous. The majority of successful non FBS basketball programs are small private liberal arts schools. You may have forgotten that the best program in our conference was a small private liberal arts school before Creighton left. You might also want to look at Dayton, Butler, Gonzaga and most of the Big East. Attendance at he conference tournament is low for the private schools in the Valley because the teams are horrible.
Drakey
All MVC
All MVC

Postby TheObserver » February 18th, 2017, 9:38 pm

Oklahoma State: 18-9, 7-7 in Big XII (5th), 29 RPI, 20 KP, 8 seed in Bracketology

:Bam: :Bam: :Bam:
TheObserver
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby TheObserver » February 22nd, 2017, 10:47 pm

Oklahoma State: 19-9, 8-7 Big XII (5th), 28 RPI, 20 KP, 7 seed in Lunardi's Bracketology

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:Bam: :Bam:
TheObserver
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball