MVC NCOY

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC NCOY

Postby underdawg » January 6th, 2017, 3:45 pm

SIU's Thik Bol is second in blocked shots, third in rebounding and fourth in FG % in the League and probably should have his name posted too.
underdawg
MVC starter
MVC starter

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Stickboy46 » January 6th, 2017, 3:58 pm

underdawg wrote:SIU's Thik Bol is second in blocked shots, third in rebounding and fourth in FG % in the League and probably should have his name posted too.

Most years, I think he would be in the conversation. He should be a part of the Newcomer team but Willis, Johnson and Jackson are going to dominate the Newcomer of the year conversation (for good reason).

Willis - Leading scorer/rebounder/FG% on leagues best team

Johnson - Leading Scorer/Rebounder on one of the most improved (and top 3) teams

Jackson - Leading Scorer/FG% on the other big surprise team.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » January 6th, 2017, 4:27 pm

So far in league play, Jackson is shooting 30 points lower than his season average and has totaled 13 points and 10 fouls in 3 games. And that includes 2 home games and a game against Drake. He's going to have to figure that out soon if he wants to stay in the conversation.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Blers » January 6th, 2017, 4:37 pm

Jackson's gonna have to adjust for sure if he wants to stay in the conversation. He's been buried in fouls and double teams; I'm sure with time he'll adjust but that needs to happen ASAP for both him and the team.
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » January 6th, 2017, 7:42 pm

The current conversation for NCOY revolves around Willis and Johnson. Jackson has taken a sudden, and horrible turn and he is no longer starting. He needs to correct this to get back in the discussion.

Payne, Bol, Taylor, and Custer battle it out with Jackson for the last three spots. Rousseau and McGlaston are really good new comers battling to get onto the team. Normally these guys would be close to winning the NCOY outright.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbirdfan21 » January 23rd, 2017, 2:14 pm

I'd say DJ Clayton and Phil Fayne are playing well enough to get some attention for all newcomer team. Neither will be battling for NOY- but both have put up good numbers, Clayton specifically, the last 2 weeks.
Redbirdfan21
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Cdizzle » January 23rd, 2017, 2:27 pm

I haven't looked at their numbers yet, but they are definitely both promising players from what I've seen in games.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 23rd, 2017, 2:34 pm

Cdizzle wrote:I haven't looked at their numbers yet, but they are definitely both promising players from what I've seen in games.

In his last 4 games, DJ Clayton's numbers look like this..

11.75 ppg (20-24 fg)
4.25 rbs

And really, really good defense.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbirdgrad » January 23rd, 2017, 2:45 pm

Clayton's a little late to the party this year, but lately has been really producing. You could see him struggling early on to make the transition, but he absolutely won us the Drake game.

Fayne has been more solid all year. Nothing flashy, but very solid, consistent play and we wouldn't be at the level we are right now without him. I'd put Fayne ahead of Clayton on a list like this.
Redbirdgrad
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 23rd, 2017, 4:05 pm

Redbirdgrad wrote:Clayton's a little late to the party this year, but lately has been really producing. You could see him struggling early on to make the transition, but he absolutely won us the Drake game.

Fayne has been more solid all year. Nothing flashy, but very solid, consistent play and we wouldn't be at the level we are right now without him. I'd put Fayne ahead of Clayton on a list like this.

That was not meant for NCOY endorsement. More of All Newcomer team endorsement.

Agreed on Fayne. We will rely heavily on those two next year, along with McIntosh (assuming he stays).

If there was a most improved category (or is there?) I would suggest Keyshawn Evans as well for that award.
Last edited by BirdsEyeView on January 24th, 2017, 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball