Bears at Las Vegas Invitational

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby glm38 » December 24th, 2016, 8:55 am

Bears end up beating DePaul last night for 3rd in the Las Vegas Invitational.

After playing down to our competition in the first two games (winning both but not looking very good) we looked much better in the last two.

In the semifinal we lost to a very good USC (#23) but kept it to single digits. We were pretty competitive with them despite not shooting well. In the last game we avenged an earlier loss to DePaul. I liked how we closed them out at the end. DePaul isn't that good but they do have some really good athletes.

Alize Johnson continues to churn out the double doubles despite a propensity to get into foul trouble that limits his PT. At one point DePaul was pressing us and Alize broke the press himself. Crazy to see a 6'9" guy break a press with his ball handling. Obi and Kreklow also played well the last few games.

To be honest I'm still not sure how we will do in the Valley? I believe with this group of players we should finish second and maybe even push the Shox a bit. But Lusk still seems to be struggling with player combinations, tempo, and defensive sets.

It really wouldn't surprise me if we finished as high as 2nd or if we are a play in team. I'm ready to see what we can do though.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: Bears at Las Vegas Invitational

Postby ACECARD » December 24th, 2016, 10:47 am

glm38 wrote:Bears end up beating DePaul last night for 3rd in the Las Vegas Invitational.

After playing down to our competition in the first two games (winning both but not looking very good) we looked much better in the last two.

In the semifinal we lost to a very good USC (#23) but kept it to single digits. We were pretty competitive with them despite not shooting well. In the last game we avenged an earlier loss to DePaul. I liked how we closed them out at the end. DePaul isn't that good but they do have some really good athletes.

Alize Johnson continues to churn out the double doubles despite a propensity to get into foul trouble that limits his PT. At one point DePaul was pressing us and Alize broke the press himself. Crazy to see a 6'9" guy break a press with his ball handling. Obi and Kreklow also played well the last few games.

To be honest I'm still not sure how we will do in the Valley? I believe with this group of players we should finish second and maybe even push the Shox a bit. But Lusk still seems to be struggling with player combinations, tempo, and defensive sets.

It really wouldn't surprise me if we finished as high as 2nd or if we are a play in team. I'm ready to see what we can do though.

I don't see you as a play in team. Third, or fourth, would be my guess.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Bradleyfan1 » December 24th, 2016, 11:33 pm

Play in game ? No way. Barring injury of course.

Johnson is a first teamer in my book. Does need to be a bit more under control but He's the real deal.

Bears are top 4 along with Witch, ISU red,Loyola , UNI is probably 5th .

Then you have the rest of us.

We shall know more in a month ..... tbd .
Bradleyfan1
All MVC
All MVC

Postby jackwagon » December 25th, 2016, 6:47 am

Not sold on Loyola being a lock for top 4. I actually think msu has the best chance to dethrone wsu, only lusk stands in the way of doing that. Don't sleep on Lansing either.
jackwagon
All MVC
All MVC

Postby bleach » December 26th, 2016, 8:27 am

Bradleyfan1 wrote:Play in game ? No way. Barring injury of course.

Everyone, including some Bears fans, continue to underestimate the Lusk factor. Talent is definitely there. With good coaching i'd be here smack talking everyone about how the Bears are gonna roll ya. I truly think we are borderline playin with Lusk at the helm.
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Postby ACECARD » December 26th, 2016, 12:52 pm

bleach wrote:

Everyone, including some Bears fans, continue to underestimate the Lusk factor. Talent is definitely there. With good coaching i'd be here smack talking everyone about how the Bears are gonna roll ya. I truly think we are borderline playin with Lusk at the helm.

If the Bears TRUELY have the talent you think they do, they will win more than their share of games.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby MSUDuo » December 26th, 2016, 3:18 pm

ACECARD wrote:
bleach wrote:

If the Bears TRUELY have the talent you think they do, they will win more than their share of games.

Lusk had more than his fair share of talent his first year, getting a team coming off a MVC Championship with the POY returning. He turned that into a 9-9 record.

Personally, I think we have better talent than we have seen the last 5 years but I don't think it is enough to actually do anything. Throw in Lusk and I would guess that we will be anywhere 4-6th

Regardless of what happens, we are stuck with Lusk one more year after this I'm afraid.
MSUDuo
MVCfans.com
MVCfans.com

Postby glm38 » December 26th, 2016, 6:30 pm

You can't discount coaching in college basketball. I believe in our talent. But Lusk has to do a credible job or we'll be a play in team.
glm38
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Bradleyfan1 » December 27th, 2016, 12:02 am

In 2011 12 . You just collapsed at the end of the year.

You may have won the championship the year before but lost in the 2nd round of the NIT ,but Witch won the NIT his first season , Paul had to implement or adapt his system , CU was on cloud 9 . Lost a OT game to ISU and a 1 pointer to Indiana St.

Before this season that was the most talent Lusk had seen.

NIT at worst .
Bradleyfan1
All MVC
All MVC

Postby bleach » December 27th, 2016, 7:48 am

Bradleyfan1 wrote:In 2011 12 . You just collapsed at the end of the year.

You may have won the championship the year before but lost in the 2nd round of the NIT ,but Witch won the NIT his first season , Paul had to implement or adapt his system , CU was on cloud 9 . Lost a OT game to ISU and a 1 pointer to Indiana St.

Before this season that was the most talent Lusk had seen.

NIT at worst .

Lusk took a talent proven team and turned them into losers......with HIS system.
Lusk has lost ever since......with HIS system.
Talented players don't perform well....with HIS system.
Lusk will always lose......with HIS system.
I can't even tell you what HIS system is and I see it every game. The best I can tell HIS system is to run off every talented player he gets.
bleach
All MVC
All MVC

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball