ok, let's get it going! Dec. 28th - January 1 MVC games

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: ok, let's get it going! Dec. 28th - January 1 MVC games

Postby pafan » January 1st, 2017, 7:11 pm

Let's focus on that DU - SIU game.

Reading DrakeNation and SalukiNation tonight, both sets of fans seem pretty angry at their respective head coaches.

I don't get it. Drake didn't score a hundred, but I think we knew that was unlikely to happen a third time. Drake still has fundamental deficiencies in the post, so if the jumpers aren't falling they're hosed. Rutter can't fix that until the recruiting period.

SIU is really short-handed on guards with the injuries, but they're somewhat less dependent on their guards. SIU has a couple of capable big men, O'Brian and Bol, who should have given Drake fits - and they did, each notching a double-double today.

I understand the general angst that comes with being a Drake fan this year, but it seems like this game played out as it should have on paper.
sad Evansville alum
pafan
MVC Valued Member
MVC Valued Member

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby DUBulldog » January 1st, 2017, 7:41 pm

pafan wrote:Let's focus on that DU - SIU game.

Reading DrakeNation and SalukiNation tonight, both sets of fans seem pretty angry at their respective head coaches.

I don't get it. Drake didn't score a hundred, but I think we knew that was unlikely to happen a third time. Drake still has fundamental deficiencies in the post, so if the jumpers aren't falling they're hosed. Rutter can't fix that until the recruiting period.

SIU is really short-handed on guards with the injuries, but they're somewhat less dependent on their guards. SIU has a couple of capable big men, O'Brian and Bol, who should have given Drake fits - and they did, each notching a double-double today.

I understand the general angst that comes with being a Drake fan this year, but it seems like this game played out as it should have on paper.

The amount of anger on Drakenation toward the coach is directly proportional to the number of minutes Graham Woodward plays. He played 17 minutes today, which is about 12 too many.
DUBulldog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby James_SIU » January 1st, 2017, 8:27 pm

pafan wrote:Let's focus on that DU - SIU game.

I can't speak for the rest of Salukis nation but I am in no rush to get rid of Hinson. I'm an 11 year season ticket holder who has missed maybe 2 games in that stretch. He has recruited well but inexplicably some of our better recruits leave after one year. He represents the university well. I'll be happy avoiding Thursday still the next 2 years. The Lowery years have really lowered my expectations.
James_SIU
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 1st, 2017, 8:45 pm

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:How is Illinois State's RPI forty-flipping-two?!

Benefactor of our opponents...
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby AceMatt » January 1st, 2017, 8:54 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:

It still doesn't seem like it should result in 42 with losses to 150, 152, and 236.
Last edited by AceMatt on January 1st, 2017, 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AceMatt
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Bmarq04 » January 1st, 2017, 8:58 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:

To take it a step further...
9-4 record against 49th SOS
Lost only top 50 RPI game
2-0 against RPI 51-100
6-2 against RPI 101-200
Only 1 ugly loss to RPI 236 Murray State

A couple of the teams we beat have solid wins helping their resume.

We don't have any signature wins and only 1 (so far) bad loss. We've lucked out that, for now, we have most games coming against decent enough RPIs. And having a winning record against that schedule puts us there for now.
Bmarq04
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » January 1st, 2017, 11:36 pm

Not gonna happen now, but man, ISUr was a lot closer to an at-large than previously thought and no one knew.

If they hadn't blown the late lead in the season opener in Murray, 16-2 with a Sunday bowout to Wichita would've landed the Redbirds in Dayton imo.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby AndShock » January 2nd, 2017, 12:15 am

AceMatt wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:

It still doesn't seem like it should result in 42 with losses to 150, 152, and 236.

Common misconception, who you win or lose against has no effect on a team's RPI. Your winning percentage, opponents winning percentage, and opponents opponents winning percentage, nothing else.
AndShock
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 2nd, 2017, 8:33 am

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:Not gonna happen now, but man, ISUr was a lot closer to an at-large than previously thought and no one knew.

If they hadn't blown the late lead in the season opener in Murray, 16-2 with a Sunday bowout to Wichita would've landed the Redbirds in Dayton imo.

Blown late leads against Murray St. and Tulsa (the first matchup). Plus close game with TCU on the road before falling apart late as well.

Oh well. Once we play Bradley & Drake back to back in a few weeks that RPI will plummet anyways.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BuBrave2006 » January 3rd, 2017, 12:08 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:Oh well. Once we play Bradley & Drake back to back in a few weeks that RPI will plummet anyways.

Hey, we're up to RPI 195. I don't even remember the last time we were inside the top 200.
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball