January 4th MVC games

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: January 4th MVC games

Postby tribecalledquest » January 5th, 2017, 9:53 am

UEACES80 wrote:
Aargh wrote:Evansville got Evansvilled - by Bradley. Somewhat ironic.

What does mean?

Bradley played hard and a tip of the cap to them. Evansville had their worst FG % since Marty became head coach so it is real tough to win when that happens.

It's also hard to lose when you shoot 46 FT's at home.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Cdizzle » January 5th, 2017, 9:55 am

tribecalledquest wrote:
UEACES80 wrote:

What does mean?

Bradley played hard and a tip of the cap to them. Evansville had their worst FG % since Marty became head coach so it is real tough to win when that happens.

It's also hard to lose when you shoot 46 FT's at home.

Fact.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby mule » January 5th, 2017, 9:56 am

[quote="Dean Wormer"

The meltdown in Evansville must have crashed the message board. It was fine when I looked at it right before the game.[/quote]
:bow: You may be correct. I chose not to look at the forum last night after the game as I was so disappointed with the effort by the Aces and outcome of the game. It was the Aces game to lose and that's what they did. Bradley had a good game plan to defend the drive to the basket. Even though the Aces shot 46 free throws, there was a lot of contact not called and they could have easily shot another 20 free throws.
Hopefully, this is not a downward direction the team is heading but just one of those truly bad games that happens. Right now Wiley, the only true 4 that the Aces have, has been sidelined for 3 weeks with a groin injury, and Smith, a shutdown defensive guard, has also been out that long after having his knee scoped. After the game, it was disclosed that Taylor was fighting the flu. Once the team is at full strength, I hope that the play will be better on both ends of the court.
mule
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby tribecalledquest » January 5th, 2017, 10:05 am

Dean Wormer wrote:

I think you guys came up with that when a team plays so poorly in the non-con and then plays lights out against the good teams that year in conference. From what I saw, that was nothing but a walking suicide mission. It looked like the Aces had open looks all night. I didn't see anything from the Bradley defense that looked like is was creating such a horrible shooting percentage. Those guys would have lost a game of horse to a Jr High team. Bradley didn't play over their heads..they were simply less bad.

The meltdown in Evansville must have crashed the message board. It was fine when I looked at it right before the game.

The crappy Aces players had open looks all night. The two good players (Taylor and Brown) did not. The Bradley game plan was to smother Taylor and Brown and let the other dudes wide open. Now---Bradley fouled Taylor and Brown alot--but every shot they took was contested. Did the other guys have contested shots? No--but Gibson, Benzon, Eaves, et al can launch open jumpers all night. The guys not named Taylor and Brown went 5 for 27. Leaving those guys open was part of the game plan.

Bradley fouled too much but Wardle outcoached Marty. The problem was actually the Aces defense. Bradley shot 50% from the field. Hard to win when the other team shoots 50% from the field and 80% from the line.

This was not just Evansville missing shots they normally make. That's an easy excuse but not the whole story.
tribecalledquest
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby chitown fanatic » January 5th, 2017, 11:40 am

Evansville will end up where Evansville belongs...on Thursday. They have two good players and neither are Ballentine level....this is a rebuilding year for them and everyone except Aces fans know it. 7th or 8th place likely. And driving into guys hoping for calls wont get it done, no matter how much Janssen tried to give you the game last night
chitown fanatic
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Cdizzle » January 5th, 2017, 11:44 am

Whoa. Bradley won AT Evansville with Janssen officiating? They must be way better than I thought. I'm feeling better about that drubbing WSU handed Bradley last week.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby UEACES80 » January 5th, 2017, 11:51 am

As an Aces fan I expected and still do expect a 7th to 9th finish.
UEACES80
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby ACECARD » January 5th, 2017, 12:27 pm

UEACES80 wrote:As an Aces fan I expected and still do expect a 7th to 9th finish.

I most certainly agree. A team without an MVC caliber #5, and only one player who can occasionally hit, and take a 3 point shot, you are not going to win a lot of Valley games. Last night was maybe the worst Aces game I have ever seen them play, and I have seen a lot of them. They were basically out coached, as Marty never made any adjustments to either the offense, or defense for the whole game. Yes, you can occasionally have a bad game, but the Aces weaknesses were exposed in every phase of the game last night.

And yes, what happened to the Aces message board? I posted to it just after the game was over, and it hasn't been up since. I didn't have too many positive things to say, but I didn't think it was that bad. I guess Pafan knew what was to come.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby GoAcesgo » January 5th, 2017, 12:57 pm

ACECARD wrote:
UEACES80 wrote:As an Aces fan I expected and still do expect a 7th to 9th finish.

I most certainly agree. A team without an MVC caliber #5, and only one player who can occasionally hit, and take a 3 point shot, you are not going to win a lot of Valley games. Last night was maybe the worst Aces game I have ever seen them play, and I have seen a lot of them. They were basically out coached, as Marty never made any adjustments to either the offense, or defense for the whole game. Yes, you can occasionally have a bad game, but the Aces weaknesses were exposed in every phase of the game last night.

And yes, what happened to the Aces message board? I posted to it just after the game was over, and it hasn't been up since. I didn't have too many positive things to say, but I didn't think it was that bad. I guess Pafan knew what was to come.

What happened last night wouldn't have surprised me if you would have told me before season started, but after how they have played to this point this hurts, I think there have been worst losses in the last 12 years, the loss at Indiana ST last year by 17 comes to mind.
GoAcesgo
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby Ricardo del Rio » January 5th, 2017, 2:17 pm

I may be incorrect, but I believe the Shockers' RPI went up in the wrong direction by 20 points or so, after the game with DU.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball