Valley Game 4

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Valley Game 4

Postby Redbirdgrad » January 9th, 2017, 2:34 pm

Yep. 25 years old. Thanks for confirmation!
Redbirdgrad
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby specialsauce » January 9th, 2017, 2:41 pm

When it's not going your way, you deflect pretty hard.
specialsauce
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby MissouriValleyUnite » January 9th, 2017, 3:28 pm

You know the Fever/Redbirdgrad rivalry is iconic when it now spans 3 message boards.

Too bad Fever/Jamar will always be the ULTIMATE rivalry.
MissouriValleyUnite
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Stickboy46 » January 9th, 2017, 3:31 pm

specialsauce wrote:
Can somebody also explain why WSU received Top 25 votes this week and Illinois State has yet to get sniffed? Surely, name recognition has nothing to do with the fact that a 90 RPI team is being voted for and a 47 RPI team isn't? :?

This is an EXTREMELY irrelevant data point as WSU got 2 points .. It was a single vote for 24th place by one person. It actually wasn't name recognition though. The guy posted his ballot online and listed the fact that WSU is KenPom 23 as to why he voted him them in.

http://www.app.com/story/sports/college ... /96334564/
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Rollbird5 » January 9th, 2017, 4:42 pm

MissouriValleyUnite wrote:You know the Fever/Redbirdgrad rivalry is iconic when it now spans 3 message boards.

Too bad Fever/Jamar will always be the ULTIMATE rivalry.

Might need their own thread after Saturday's game. Very entertaining read tho, keep it up boys :Cheers:
Rollbird5
All MVC
All MVC

Postby specialsauce » January 9th, 2017, 4:48 pm

Stickboy46 wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Can somebody also explain why WSU received Top 25 votes this week and Illinois State has yet to get sniffed? Surely, name recognition has nothing to do with the fact that a 90 RPI team is being voted for and a 47 RPI team isn't? :?

This is an EXTREMELY irrelevant data point as WSU got 2 points .. It was a single vote for 24th place by one person. It actually wasn't name recognition though. The guy posted his ballot online and listed the fact that WSU is KenPom 23 as to why he voted him them in.

It's not irrelevant with the point I was making. I said that WSU still gets looked upon favorably based on name recognition.

What's even more ironic is the reason that was given by the voter was based on KenPom, a system completely dismissed by retire12 er redbirdgrad. Kinda humorous.
specialsauce
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 9th, 2017, 5:16 pm

specialsauce wrote:
Stickboy46 wrote:
specialsauce wrote:

It's not irrelevant with the point I was making. I said that WSU still gets looked upon favorably based on name recognition.

What's even more ironic is the reason that was given by the voter was based on KenPom, a system completely dismissed by retire12 er redbirdgrad. Kinda humorous.

Top 25 voters aren't on the selection committee. And, clearly only 1 voter used KenPom in determining their voting order for the top 25.

I don't think he is dismissing it, just downplaying its importance in the selection committee's criteria. It's impossible to know if they are using KenPom or not. I think they use whatever criteria makes each one of their arguments better for inclusion.

That is, "team X" has a crappy KenPom (so I'm going to ignore it), but they have great top 50 wins, so let's use that to include them, because I want them in.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Stickboy46 » January 9th, 2017, 5:20 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:
specialsauce wrote:
Stickboy46 wrote:This is an EXTREMELY irrelevant data point as WSU got 2 points .. It was a single vote for 24th place by one person. It actually wasn't name recognition though. The guy posted his ballot online and listed the fact that WSU is KenPom 23 as to why he voted him them in.

Top 25 voters aren't on the selection committee. And, clearly only 1 voter used KenPom in determining their voting order for the top 25.

I don't think he is dismissing it, just downplaying its importance in the selection committee's criteria. It's impossible to know if they are using KenPom or not. I think they use whatever criteria makes each one of their arguments better for inclusion.

That is, "team X" has a crappy KenPom (so I'm going to ignore it), but they have great top 50 wins, so let's use that to include them, because I want them in.

This... having great computer numbers can't hurt, but they will use different justifications for different teams. They always fall back on "the eye test" if they can't come up with a reason. They will put in the teams that they want.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Wufan » January 9th, 2017, 6:46 pm

Redbirdgrad wrote:
Wufan wrote:Hypothetically, 16-2 puts both teams on the bubble, and they might take the loser in the finals. It's important that both teams finish with top 50 RPI. They won't take both teams as at-large IMao, even if they both finish 17-1.

While all of the above facts are true, one problem with rooting for the birds is that it is less likely that they will 16-2 than that Shockers will go 18-0. If you look at the MVC RPI, it is littered with teams (6 or 7) that have an RPI between 100-200. ISU is 8-3 against teams over 100, whereas WSU is 7-0.

But... that wasn't the original argument. If you'd like to concede that discussion, we can begin to then discuss this one.

What was the original argument? That we should root for ISU because they have the best resume? That we should root for ISU because they have the best chance? That we should root for ISU because neither team has a chance? Honest question...help me understand.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby specialsauce » January 9th, 2017, 7:04 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:

I know Top 25 voters aren't on the committee but I was pointing out the "perception" thing.

He was dismissing it. Again, I agree with you there are a ton of metrics/analytics/rankings used to determine selection. And there's the human element as well. When he lined up strictly RPI resumes and acted like that was the end of the discussion, that's where the problems arose. He pointed out 1 aspect. There's also other aspects. Regardless of it all, neither one is getting an at-large bid and arguing which NIT resume is better is just semantics and bitterness at this point.
specialsauce
MVC starter
MVC starter

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball