MVC questions that I was asked yesterday

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Postby Red » January 9th, 2017, 12:24 pm

I had a friend text me these questions yesterday because he knows I still follow the Valley closely whereas he really hasn't much since college.

1) Is WSU an at large team?
2) What is the best seed an MVC team can get in the NCAA tourney?
3) What happened to UNI?
4) Is Ben Jacobson still a hot coaching commodity?

Your thoughts?

So that I don't bias your responses, I will wait to post my own.
Red
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: MVC questions that I was asked yesterday

Postby Stickboy46 » January 9th, 2017, 12:27 pm

Red wrote:I had a friend text me these questions yesterday because he knows I still follow the Valley closely whereas he really hasn't much since college.

3) What happened to UNI?

Your thoughts?

1. Win out to Sunday or 17-1 with the only loss on the road to ISU. Then yes
2. 7 if WSU wins out. 1 loss puts them to 9/10. 2 losses is probably play in
3. Lack of talent/athleticism
4. Not at the moment
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » January 9th, 2017, 12:55 pm

Red wrote:I had a friend text me these questions yesterday because he knows I still follow the Valley closely whereas he really hasn't much since college.

3) What happened to UNI?

Your thoughts?

1) According to resume? Not currently. Probably need 17-1 to have a shot. According to team ability? I honestly don't know. WSU's schedule has imploded so terribly, it's difficult to know how they actually measure up. They've beat the crap out of a bunch of bad teams (like, really beat the crap out of them) but also lost to the best teams on the schedule. Not a lot of good/decent teams on the schedule to know how you stack up.

2) 6 seed if WSU wins out, including St. Louis. 31-3 puts you in that range.

3) UNI is in year 2 of the 4-year plan. They just still had a couple of positive mismatches last year (Washpun/Jesperson) and got hot the last 3 weeks of the season. 2 years from now, they should be good again.

4) Jacobson is a good coach. He is also an overrated coach by many around the Valley. He's 217-128 (62.9%) and 117-70 in league (62.0%). Those are solid numbers. Not great numbers. I'm not advocating UNI run him out of town, but those numbers look really great to those sitting around in Peoria right now, and less good to those sitting around in places not in a historically terrible decade. I think it's a good fit. But I think it's a bit of a 2-way street on Jacobson not leaving UNI.
Last edited by Cdizzle on January 9th, 2017, 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbirdgrad » January 9th, 2017, 12:57 pm

No. SOS kills them this year. Even if they win out, the SOS is too large to overcome.

10. And that's if ISU/WSU runs the table and wins the MVC Tourney. The Valley's conference RPI is terrible.

3) What happened to UNI?
Recruiting classes unbalanced, lack of current talent during this lull.

There are several D-2's that would love to have him. Some low majors and a couple of mid-majors.
Redbirdgrad
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Play Angry » January 9th, 2017, 3:56 pm

Redbirdgrad wrote:4) Is Ben Jacobson still a hot coaching commodity?
There are several D-2's that would love to have him. Some low majors and a couple of mid-majors.

No dog in this fight but the above is a pretty extreme take. This season is hurting his marketability, no doubt, but I'd expect that half the ADs in the MVC would still give their left arm to have Jake as their coach.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » January 9th, 2017, 4:04 pm

Play Angry wrote:

No dog in this fight but the above is a pretty extreme take. This season is hurting his marketability, no doubt, but I'd expect that half the ADs in the MVC would still give their left arm to have Jake as their coach.

I agree that his take is extreme, but to be fair, he did say some low majors would love to have him.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby WSpringsBird » January 9th, 2017, 4:28 pm

Cdizzle wrote:
Play Angry wrote:

I agree that his take is extreme, but to be fair, he did say some low majors would love to have him.

Hahaha.

1. Wichita State still has a decent shot to get an at-large bid. I don't see any other team in the MVC that has a realistic shot.
2. 5 seed, if an improbable run takes place.
3. I can't add to what was posted above.
4. I'm confident that Jacobson could still move if he wanted to, but he would do well to wait a year or two before looking.
WSpringsBird
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

Postby 2livewu » January 9th, 2017, 4:37 pm

3) What happened to UNI?

Your thoughts?

1)Their room for error is thin. If they finish the rest of the season 13-1 & 1-1 or better, for sure in (barring massive tournament upsets across the board). 12-2 & 2-1 I still think they are in. Now, are they at large quality? I don't think they are yet. Maybe they will be.

2) 8

3)Lack of talent, youth, injuries, a myriad of items. They've lost a lot of talent the last 2 seasons and I don't see replacements down the road.

4)No. P5 schools want recruiters.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Redbirdgrad » January 9th, 2017, 6:25 pm

You're absolutely right I'm too low on Jacobson.

There are a lot of middle tier school's out there with room to improve.
Redbirdgrad
All MVC
All MVC

Postby BCPanther » January 9th, 2017, 6:59 pm

The school that employs Dan Muller and hasn't been to the tournament this millennium is taking shots at Jake? I just can't.

1-- Wichita can lose two league games as long as they actually get to Sunday in StL

2--Wichita could get to the 6 line if they win out (not happening)

3-- UNI is still digging out of unbalanced recruiting classes going back 15 years and Jake made a mistake redshirting Ted Friedman, he lost a scholarship for this year and jammed it into next year where he's already got 5 rides. Luckily the Wyatt Lohaus medical redshirt will take one out.

Also, point guard play. The guy he brought in last year to mentor McCloud and bridge the gap (Aarius Austin) flaked out and transferred. UNI will be fine. Probably overachieved last year because Washpun ended up being better than anybody ever dreamed he would be when he got here. UNI is better next year and a bitch to deal with the year after.

I'm still not at a point where I think they'll play on Thursday. I think they figure out how to win 9 games.

4--Jake could still get a P5 job if he wanted one. There were a couple that inquired last year (Georgia Tech and Texas Tech when they didn't think they could get Beard), but I'm not sure Jake wants to go. He's starting to have Rick Byrd, Bob McKillop your feel. Also just built a new house that Dawn designed every aspect of. They're really happy and I think it'll take a dream job to get him out of Cedar Falls.
BCPanther
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball