MVC questions that I was asked yesterday

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: MVC questions that I was asked yesterday

Postby 2livewu » January 10th, 2017, 12:11 am

BCPanther wrote:UNI will be fine. Probably overachieved last year because Washpun ended up being better than anybody ever dreamed he would be when he got here.


"Probably overachieved"? Everything went their way late and in every big game except the last minute of the A&M game, no doubt.


BCPanther wrote: UNI is better next year and a bitch to deal with the year after.



Ummm, why? You lose Morgan, arguably one of the best players in the history of your program and Ashton, surprise transfer that has played way above his expected ceiling, both of whom are among your 4 best athletes. Then next year you lose Friedman (no deal), Koch (big deal), Rhodes (minor deal) and Carlson (big deal). Koch and Carlson are difficult matchups for almost every team in the conference.

Assuming they're going to be "a bitch to deal with" the year after is blind homerism at best and a chemical delusional syndrome at worst. You can hope you'll be a bitch, but that's all it is, hope. Much larger chance you're everyone else's bitch.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC
 
Posts: 813
Joined: April 11th, 2011, 9:55 pm

Re: MVC questions that I was asked yesterday

Sponsor

Sponsor
 

Re: MVC questions that I was asked yesterday

Postby BCPanther » January 10th, 2017, 7:46 am

2livewu wrote:
BCPanther wrote:UNI will be fine. Probably overachieved last year because Washpun ended up being better than anybody ever dreamed he would be when he got here.


"Probably overachieved"? Everything went their way late and in every big game except the last minute of the A&M game, no doubt.


BCPanther wrote: UNI is better next year and a bitch to deal with the year after.



Ummm, why? You lose Morgan, arguably one of the best players in the history of your program and Ashton, surprise transfer that has played way above his expected ceiling, both of whom are among your 4 best athletes. Then next year you lose Friedman (no deal), Koch (big deal), Rhodes (minor deal) and Carlson (big deal). Koch and Carlson are difficult matchups for almost every team in the conference.

Assuming they're going to be "a bitch to deal with" the year after is blind homerism at best and a chemical delusional syndrome at worst. You can hope you'll be a bitch, but that's all it is, hope. Much larger chance you're everyone else's bitch.


McCloud as a junior, Haldeman as a junior, Isaiah Brown as a junior, Lohaus back, Luke McDonnell certainly has some Nate Buss in him as a 6-10 kid that can stretch the floor. Wait until you see Austin Phyfe next year, 6-9 kid that chose UNI basketball over Iowa Football and now that he's not putting on football weight can really move and has a great face up game. Not to mention the continued development of Justin Dahl, a raw 7 footer that led his class in Minnesota in rebounding.

We're in good shape talent wise...
BCPanther
All MVC
All MVC
 
Posts: 821
Joined: August 8th, 2010, 9:10 am

Re: MVC questions that I was asked yesterday

Postby uniftw » January 10th, 2017, 8:12 am

BCPanther wrote:
2livewu wrote:
BCPanther wrote:UNI will be fine. Probably overachieved last year because Washpun ended up being better than anybody ever dreamed he would be when he got here.


"Probably overachieved"? Everything went their way late and in every big game except the last minute of the A&M game, no doubt.


BCPanther wrote: UNI is better next year and a bitch to deal with the year after.



Ummm, why? You lose Morgan, arguably one of the best players in the history of your program and Ashton, surprise transfer that has played way above his expected ceiling, both of whom are among your 4 best athletes. Then next year you lose Friedman (no deal), Koch (big deal), Rhodes (minor deal) and Carlson (big deal). Koch and Carlson are difficult matchups for almost every team in the conference.

Assuming they're going to be "a bitch to deal with" the year after is blind homerism at best and a chemical delusional syndrome at worst. You can hope you'll be a bitch, but that's all it is, hope. Much larger chance you're everyone else's bitch.


McCloud as a junior, Haldeman as a junior, Isaiah Brown as a junior, Lohaus back, Luke McDonnell certainly has some Nate Buss in him as a 6-10 kid that can stretch the floor. Wait until you see Austin Phyfe next year, 6-9 kid that chose UNI basketball over Iowa Football and now that he's not putting on football weight can really move and has a great face up game. Not to mention the continued development of Justin Dahl, a raw 7 footer that led his class in Minnesota in rebounding.

We're in good shape talent wise...
Agreed.

It's just that everyone, outside of Koch, Carolson and Morgan, are freshman right now.

Really need to get the unbalance class thing under control though.

3 true freshman (1 redshirting)
4 red-shirt freshman
1 sophomore (red-shirting due to transfer but is a lights out shooter. Shot over 40% as a true freshman at North Dakota last year)
3 "true" juniors (Wyatt will get a medial for this year, which will help)
3 redshirt juniors
2 seniors (one is a grad transfer in this year)

9 players on our roster have at least 3 years left on campus.

Looking at our top scorers it is

Senior
Freshman
Jr
Jr
Freshman
JR - taking a medical
Freshman
Freshman
Freshman

Yeah, this season has sucked something fierce compared to expectations. I'd say if you look at Jake's career it's safe to assume this isn't a trend. He's top 5 or 6 all time in conference history in total wins and conference wins.

UNI will be fine after this year. The recruiting talent coming in is still better than it ever has been. It just needs to be spread out over the classes better
Last edited by uniftw on January 10th, 2017, 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
uniftw
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer
 
Posts: 2315
Joined: January 20th, 2011, 9:01 pm

Re: MVC questions that I was asked yesterday

Postby Stickboy46 » January 10th, 2017, 8:37 am

BCPanther wrote:
McCloud as a junior, Haldeman as a junior, Isaiah Brown as a junior, Lohaus back, Luke McDonnell certainly has some Nate Buss in him as a 6-10 kid that can stretch the floor. Wait until you see Austin Phyfe next year, 6-9 kid that chose UNI basketball over Iowa Football and now that he's not putting on football weight can really move and has a great face up game. Not to mention the continued development of Justin Dahl, a raw 7 footer that led his class in Minnesota in rebounding.

We're in good shape talent wise...


I know they are all Freshman .. but none of those have really impressed me. Haldeman can make some nice shots, haven't really seen much else. McCloud looks serviceable, but has a LONG way to go to be even a good MVC player. McDonnell might be a serviceable post, but yet again .. hasn't really shown anything yet.

Not to be rude, but after how high McCloud was hyped up before this year, I'm taking any hype of incoming Freshman at UNI with a grain of salt. High School numbers /= College Production.

I have to agree, I'm really not seeing anything that scares me or think that UNI will be challenging for Top 3 in conference in the next few years with the exception of REALLY betting on the Jacobson card.
Stickboy46
All MVC
All MVC
 
Posts: 670
Joined: April 21st, 2015, 9:24 am

Re: MVC questions that I was asked yesterday

Postby BCPanther » January 10th, 2017, 9:11 am

Stickboy46 wrote:
BCPanther wrote:
McCloud as a junior, Haldeman as a junior, Isaiah Brown as a junior, Lohaus back, Luke McDonnell certainly has some Nate Buss in him as a 6-10 kid that can stretch the floor. Wait until you see Austin Phyfe next year, 6-9 kid that chose UNI basketball over Iowa Football and now that he's not putting on football weight can really move and has a great face up game. Not to mention the continued development of Justin Dahl, a raw 7 footer that led his class in Minnesota in rebounding.

We're in good shape talent wise...


I know they are all Freshman .. but none of those have really impressed me. Haldeman can make some nice shots, haven't really seen much else. McCloud looks serviceable, but has a LONG way to go to be even a good MVC player. McDonnell might be a serviceable post, but yet again .. hasn't really shown anything yet.

Not to be rude, but after how high McCloud was hyped up before this year, I'm taking any hype of incoming Freshman at UNI with a grain of salt. High School numbers /= College Production.

I have to agree, I'm really not seeing anything that scares me or think that UNI will be challenging for Top 3 in conference in the next few years with the exception of REALLY betting on the Jacobson card.


UNI is a developmental program, as is everybody else in the league not named Wichita State, Jake has shown repeatedly that he ends up getting more out of a player than you expect after year one. I'll happily play that card.
BCPanther
All MVC
All MVC
 
Posts: 821
Joined: August 8th, 2010, 9:10 am

Re: MVC questions that I was asked yesterday

Postby Cdizzle » January 10th, 2017, 9:14 am

Stickboy46 wrote:
BCPanther wrote:
McCloud as a junior, Haldeman as a junior, Isaiah Brown as a junior, Lohaus back, Luke McDonnell certainly has some Nate Buss in him as a 6-10 kid that can stretch the floor. Wait until you see Austin Phyfe next year, 6-9 kid that chose UNI basketball over Iowa Football and now that he's not putting on football weight can really move and has a great face up game. Not to mention the continued development of Justin Dahl, a raw 7 footer that led his class in Minnesota in rebounding.

We're in good shape talent wise...
Not to be rude, but after how high McCloud was hyped up before this year, I'm taking any hype of incoming Freshman at UNI with a grain of salt. High School numbers /= College Production.

Yep. McCloud may turn out fine, but he's been a huge bust, especially relative to the hype. His numbers are pretty terrible, even more so when you consider most teams are spending 3 defenders trying to stop Morgan at this point. Certainly not someone you can currently point to and say "boy that team is going to be great in 2 years."
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer
 
Posts: 2152
Joined: November 11th, 2010, 11:28 am

Re: MVC questions that I was asked yesterday

Postby Cdizzle » January 10th, 2017, 9:15 am

BCPanther wrote:
Stickboy46 wrote:
BCPanther wrote:
McCloud as a junior, Haldeman as a junior, Isaiah Brown as a junior, Lohaus back, Luke McDonnell certainly has some Nate Buss in him as a 6-10 kid that can stretch the floor. Wait until you see Austin Phyfe next year, 6-9 kid that chose UNI basketball over Iowa Football and now that he's not putting on football weight can really move and has a great face up game. Not to mention the continued development of Justin Dahl, a raw 7 footer that led his class in Minnesota in rebounding.

We're in good shape talent wise...


I know they are all Freshman .. but none of those have really impressed me. Haldeman can make some nice shots, haven't really seen much else. McCloud looks serviceable, but has a LONG way to go to be even a good MVC player. McDonnell might be a serviceable post, but yet again .. hasn't really shown anything yet.

Not to be rude, but after how high McCloud was hyped up before this year, I'm taking any hype of incoming Freshman at UNI with a grain of salt. High School numbers /= College Production.

I have to agree, I'm really not seeing anything that scares me or think that UNI will be challenging for Top 3 in conference in the next few years with the exception of REALLY betting on the Jacobson card.


UNI is a developmental program, as is everybody else in the league not named Wichita State, Jake has shown repeatedly that he ends up getting more out of a player than you expect after year one. I'll happily play that card.

Is he getting more out of Carlson and Koch this year than you would expect? Also, McCloud wasn't being pegged as one of these "development" guys. Like I said, he may turn out great, but that isn't what was being thrown around in August.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer
 
Posts: 2152
Joined: November 11th, 2010, 11:28 am

Re: MVC questions that I was asked yesterday

Postby tribecalledquest » January 11th, 2017, 10:23 pm

At the current time Juwan McCloud isn't close to as good as Darrell Brown at Bradley.
tribecalledquest
All MVC
All MVC
 
Posts: 954
Joined: August 4th, 2010, 10:57 am

Re: MVC questions that I was asked yesterday

Postby 2livewu » January 12th, 2017, 12:02 pm

tribecalledquest wrote:At the current time Juwan McCloud isn't close to as good as Darrell Brown at Bradley.


Doubt he ever will be.

UNI is hugely deficient talent wise. Ugly without Lohaus and Morgan, the only 2 players capable of creating their own shot. Jake will always get a lot out of what they have, but that needle is trending down, fast.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC
 
Posts: 813
Joined: April 11th, 2011, 9:55 pm

Re: MVC questions that I was asked yesterday

Postby Ricardo del Rio » January 12th, 2017, 12:27 pm

I am not being snarky, when I say that McDonnell needs to be introduced to the weight training center.

I think I could push him around and I am a very old goat at 6'-0 1/2".

I watched the latter part of the B.U. game last night and I could hardly believe my eyes. The Cats were not very good.
Ricardo del Rio
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer
 
Posts: 1184
Joined: August 8th, 2010, 7:41 am

Re: MVC questions that I was asked yesterday

Postby Cdizzle » January 12th, 2017, 1:27 pm

I watched the latter part of the BU/UNI game last night, and now I don't have any eyes.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer
 
Posts: 2152
Joined: November 11th, 2010, 11:28 am

Re: MVC questions that I was asked yesterday

Postby Bmarq04 » January 12th, 2017, 1:31 pm

Here's a question for the UNI guys about McLoud....

At the beginning of the year we were hearing amazing things from some of you about him. Knowing that UNI seems to be struggling in refined talent right now, did he look that good because he was playing against other UNI guys in practice, or has he regressed some?
Bmarq04
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player
 
Posts: 95
Joined: February 18th, 2013, 7:23 am

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests