Wed, Jan 11th. 5th MVC Game

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: Wed, Jan 11th. 5th MVC Game

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 11th, 2017, 5:59 pm

Play Angry wrote:Why is the original assertion that ISU has been "good" since it's last tournament appearance being backed up with citations to 4 tournament runs to the final game during an 18 year stretch? The merits of whether those wins in those specific conference tournaments make a team "good" have been discussed ad nauseum above, but the entire counterpoint using 2008, 2009, 2013 and 2015 as support to defend the assertion of being "good" over a near-two decade time span is either intellectually insincere or just a very poorly constructed argument.

An equally effective tactic would be to post ISUr's results from its 4 or 5 shittiest seasons during that same time span and somehow try to pretend that such proof conclusively refutes (lol) an assertion that ISUr was good during that much, much longer period. Multiple subsequent claims that any poster who disagree was checkmated or refuted (again, lol) by such "proof" would be, you guessed it, retarded. Because it is a very, very poor way to prove or disprove the original point.

In short, let's please argue more effectively.


Re-read my original post to the Saluki fan, then get back to me.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer
 
Posts: 1162
Joined: February 28th, 2014, 12:51 pm

Re: Wed, Jan 11th. 5th MVC Game

Sponsor

Sponsor
 

Re: Wed, Jan 11th. 5th MVC Game

Postby Wufan » January 11th, 2017, 6:01 pm

Yep to play angry.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer
 
Posts: 4105
Joined: October 19th, 2010, 8:14 pm

Re: Wed, Jan 11th. 5th MVC Game

Postby Play Angry » January 11th, 2017, 6:06 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:
Play Angry wrote:Why is the original assertion that ISU has been "good" since it's last tournament appearance being backed up with citations to 4 tournament runs to the final game during an 18 year stretch? The merits of whether those wins in those specific conference tournaments make a team "good" have been discussed ad nauseum above, but the entire counterpoint using 2008, 2009, 2013 and 2015 as support to defend the assertion of being "good" over a near-two decade time span is either intellectually insincere or just a very poorly constructed argument.

An equally effective tactic would be to post ISUr's results from its 4 or 5 shittiest seasons during that same time span and somehow try to pretend that such proof conclusively refutes (lol) an assertion that ISUr was good during that much, much longer period. Multiple subsequent claims that any poster who disagree was checkmated or refuted (again, lol) by such "proof" would be, you guessed it, retarded. Because it is a very, very poor way to prove or disprove the original point.

In short, let's please argue more effectively.


Re-read my original post to the Saluki fan, then get back to me.


Eh, the citations to 2008, 2009, 2013 and 2015 were in response to a dispute of the following quote made by you in the post you reference above...

BirdsEyeView wrote:. . . yes we haven't been to the NCAAs since 1998, but we have made the finals of Arch in 4 of the last 9 years. So we have been good, just not good enough.


...so my point still stands.

If you say "man, the weather was badass in April this year" and I reply with "Nuh uh, it rained on the 10th, 14th, 19th, 22nd and 30th. REFUTED, beeyotch!" then I would be an unpersuasive assessor of weather quality based upon the proof provided.

To borrow one of your favorite ways to end a post: There, there, it is okay, you lost. Your argument sucked, admitting it won't hurt anything. It's not the end of the world. Cheers and we'll all know more after tonight's games! Good luck and thanks for the back and forth, which, just to be clear, you lost.

:Cheers:
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC
 
Posts: 776
Joined: October 17th, 2013, 12:06 pm

Re: Wed, Jan 11th. 5th MVC Game

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 11th, 2017, 6:27 pm

Play Angry wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:
Play Angry wrote:Why is the original assertion that ISU has been "good" since it's last tournament appearance being backed up with citations to 4 tournament runs to the final game during an 18 year stretch? The merits of whether those wins in those specific conference tournaments make a team "good" have been discussed ad nauseum above, but the entire counterpoint using 2008, 2009, 2013 and 2015 as support to defend the assertion of being "good" over a near-two decade time span is either intellectually insincere or just a very poorly constructed argument.

An equally effective tactic would be to post ISUr's results from its 4 or 5 shittiest seasons during that same time span and somehow try to pretend that such proof conclusively refutes (lol) an assertion that ISUr was good during that much, much longer period. Multiple subsequent claims that any poster who disagree was checkmated or refuted (again, lol) by such "proof" would be, you guessed it, retarded. Because it is a very, very poor way to prove or disprove the original point.

In short, let's please argue more effectively.


Re-read my original post to the Saluki fan, then get back to me.


Eh, the citations to 2008, 2009, 2013 and 2015 were in response to a dispute of the following quote made by you in the post you reference above...

BirdsEyeView wrote:. . . yes we haven't been to the NCAAs since 1998, but we have made the finals of Arch in 4 of the last 9 years. So we have been good, just not good enough.


...so my point still stands.

If you say "man, the weather was badass in April this year" and I reply with "Nuh uh, it rained on the 10th, 14th, 19th, 22nd and 30th. REFUTED, beeyotch!" then I would be an unpersuasive assessor of weather quality based upon the proof provided.

To borrow one of your favorite ways to end a post: There, there, it is okay, you lost. Your argument sucked, admitting it won't hurt anything. It's not the end of the world. Cheers and we'll all know more after tonight's games! Good luck and thanks for the back and forth, which, just to be clear, you lost.

:Cheers:


First of all, you are confusing me with the other redbird poster with your last statement. Read the author before being passively aggressive on those please.

My original post had the intent of the last 10 years to show why we are not Rivals to Southern Illinois. The only reason I referenced 18 years ago was to avoid being attacked like I am currently by you. I get we have not been good but over the course of the past 10 years we have been much better than Southern Illinois University and that was the point I was making.

I guess my point OVER 10 YEARS could be better stated with this...

SIU since 07/08 season is a combined 25 games BELOW 500

ISUr since 07/08 season is a combined 67 games OVER 500

But, thank you for your calm demeanor and interpretation of the last 2 pages of interactions. :roll:
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer
 
Posts: 1162
Joined: February 28th, 2014, 12:51 pm

Re: Wed, Jan 11th. 5th MVC Game

Postby Play Angry » January 11th, 2017, 6:36 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:
Play Angry wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:
Re-read my original post to the Saluki fan, then get back to me.


Eh, the citations to 2008, 2009, 2013 and 2015 were in response to a dispute of the following quote made by you in the post you reference above...

BirdsEyeView wrote:. . . yes we haven't been to the NCAAs since 1998, but we have made the finals of Arch in 4 of the last 9 years. So we have been good, just not good enough.


...so my point still stands.

If you say "man, the weather was badass in April this year" and I reply with "Nuh uh, it rained on the 10th, 14th, 19th, 22nd and 30th. REFUTED, beeyotch!" then I would be an unpersuasive assessor of weather quality based upon the proof provided.

To borrow one of your favorite ways to end a post: There, there, it is okay, you lost. Your argument sucked, admitting it won't hurt anything. It's not the end of the world. Cheers and we'll all know more after tonight's games! Good luck and thanks for the back and forth, which, just to be clear, you lost.

:Cheers:


First of all, you are confusing me with the other redbird poster with your last statement. Read the author before being passively aggressive on those please.


You are right. I apologize for confusing you with Redbirdgrad.

BirdsEyeView wrote:My original post had the intent of the last 10 years to show why we are not Rivals to Southern Illinois. The only reason I referenced 18 years ago was to avoid being attacked like I am currently by you. I get we have not been good but over the course of the past 10 years we have been much better than Southern Illinois University and that was the point I was making.

I guess my point OVER 10 YEARS could be better stated with this...

SIU since 07/08 season is a combined 25 games BELOW 500

ISUr since 07/08 season is a combined 67 games OVER 500


Crushed it. This is very persuasive that ISUr was much, much better than SIU during the last 10 years.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC
 
Posts: 776
Joined: October 17th, 2013, 12:06 pm

Re: Wed, Jan 11th. 5th MVC Game

Postby Play Angry » January 11th, 2017, 7:28 pm

Scores so far tonight:

WSU 58
Loyola 45

14 and change left


ISUr 16
SIU 20
8 to go in the first half


MSU 13
UE 10

Under 8 timeout in the first half


Drake 24
ISUb 16

10 to go in the first half


Drake, just, geez. What a difference the coaching change made for that offense.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC
 
Posts: 776
Joined: October 17th, 2013, 12:06 pm

Re: Wed, Jan 11th. 5th MVC Game

Postby bleach » January 11th, 2017, 8:19 pm

Play Angry wrote:Scores so far tonight:

WSU 58
Loyola 45

14 and change left


ISUr 16
SIU 20
8 to go in the first half


MSU 13
UE 10

Under 8 timeout in the first half


Drake 24
ISUb 16

10 to go in the first half


Drake, just, geez. What a difference the coaching change made for that offense.


Updates?
Bears 39
Aces 30
Under 12 timeout.
Last edited by bleach on January 11th, 2017, 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bleach
All MVC
All MVC
 
Posts: 654
Joined: January 8th, 2011, 9:26 am
Location: SW Missouri

Re: Wed, Jan 11th. 5th MVC Game

Postby Play Angry » January 11th, 2017, 8:25 pm

Shocks win 87-75.

Drake is...blowing out Indiana State? 59-42 at the under 12

ISUr pulls ahead of SIU 42-38 at the under 12

UNI trailing BU early 16-11

MSU leading UE 44-35 w/9 left
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC
 
Posts: 776
Joined: October 17th, 2013, 12:06 pm

Re: Wed, Jan 11th. 5th MVC Game

Postby bleach » January 11th, 2017, 8:32 pm

THX
bleach
All MVC
All MVC
 
Posts: 654
Joined: January 8th, 2011, 9:26 am
Location: SW Missouri

Re: Wed, Jan 11th. 5th MVC Game

Postby Redbirdgrad » January 11th, 2017, 8:37 pm

Play Angry wrote:Why is the original assertion that ISU has been "good" since it's last tournament appearance being backed up with citations to 4 tournament runs to the final game during an 18 year stretch? The merits of whether those wins in those specific conference tournaments make a team "good" have been discussed ad nauseum above, but the entire counterpoint using 2008, 2009, 2013 and 2015 as support to defend the assertion of being "good" over a near-two decade time span is either intellectually insincere or just a very poorly constructed argument.

An equally effective tactic would be to post ISUr's results from its 4 or 5 shittiest seasons during that same time span and somehow try to pretend that such proof conclusively refutes (lol) an assertion that ISUr was good during that much, much longer period. Multiple subsequent claims that any poster who disagree was checkmated or refuted (again, lol) by such "proof" would be, you guessed it, retarded. Because it is a very, very poor way to prove or disprove the original point.

In short, let's please argue more effectively.


Play Angry, please tell me you can read or you're going to get lumped into a group with your boy Championz. It's cute coming to his defense though...

The original data points that I gave of those 4 years were the entire data set in which those points existed. Another Bird fan stated we had made it to the finals 4 of the last 9 years, and those are the points in which arguments were based around when discussing "good" teams.

So unless you want me to include quarterfinal or semifinal losses during that time when discussing "years in which we went to the title game"... 4 and only 4 years can be used.

In short, let's please read more effectively. Nice try though. I can see that Shocker education just shining from this board right now.
Redbirdgrad
MVC starter
MVC starter
 
Posts: 311
Joined: December 2nd, 2015, 1:40 pm

Re: Wed, Jan 11th. 5th MVC Game

Postby 2livewu » January 11th, 2017, 8:47 pm

2018-2019's Panther preview not looking too bitchy if you ask me.
2livewu
All MVC
All MVC
 
Posts: 812
Joined: April 11th, 2011, 9:55 pm

Re: Wed, Jan 11th. 5th MVC Game

Postby Blers » January 11th, 2017, 8:50 pm

Moral victories suck but Loyola had WSU down to a 4 point game with about 2 minutes left to go; Ingram missed a wide open three and then it mostly became a free throw contest. Great game; both sides complained about officiating but so it's a wash. Custer had 3 fouls in the first twelve minutes. WSU got 2 fouls on 3 pt shooters that were super soft. But Doyle also was able to get to the rim at will and generally get the calls (LUC 22 FT to WSU 29FT). I'm sure Marshall's gonna drill these guys hard before their matchup with ISU. Should be a great battle.

Also feeling much better about my Ramblers. Drake's showing to be a surprise team in conference so that loss looks a LITTLE less bad, and the ISU drubbing seems to have resonated with the team. Big game against MSU Sunday to help sort out the middle of the MVC some more.
Blers
MVC starter
MVC starter
 
Posts: 203
Joined: March 21st, 2016, 2:33 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests