MVC Game 6

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Carnage of Saturday's Fever/Retire12 catfight?

Poll ended at March 3rd, 2017, 6:48 am

5 Pager
9%
10 Pager
9%
15 Pager
39%
50(!!!) Pager
43%

Total votes : 23

Re: MVC Game 6

Postby Play Angry » January 13th, 2017, 2:03 pm

Here is a little more comprehensive tale of the tape, running from the objective and more sophisticated to the subjective individual assessments:

Objective (Formula-based):

KenPom - WSU #24 overall (ORtg #30, DRtg #36), ISUr #50 overall (ORtg #121, DRtg #20)

Massey - WSU #30, ISUr #55

Sagarin - WSU #23, ISUr #55

BPI - WSU #25 (1/9/17), ISUr - Unknown (Full rankings not released at this time by ESPN; only top 30)

RPI - ISUr #44, WSU #86

Subjective (Opinion-based):

Vegas - opening line TBD

Bilas Index - WSU #50, ISUr N/A

AP Poll - WSU t-37 (just 2 votes), ISUr N/A

Coaches Poll - WSU t-37 (also, just 2 votes), ISUr N/A

Projections by Objective Models:

KenPom - WSU 70-69 (51% chance of WSU victory)

RPIForecast - 63% chance of WSU victory, 3.8 point projected MOV

Massey - WSU 68-67 (53% chance of WSU victory)
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby Play Angry » January 13th, 2017, 2:06 pm

Also, slight tangent but relevant to a discussion on here earlier this week - below is a link to an interesting article regarding the Selection Committee's boot camp on advanced metrics this weekend (stolen from a post by Kel Varnsen on ShockerNet). It is an interesting read.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men ... s-involves
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby specialsauce » January 13th, 2017, 2:10 pm

Prior to last year's win in Normal, the last time Illinois State had won a regular season game against WSU was in the 2009-10 season. That's quite a stretch of domination. Of course, that goes for most Valley teams during the same time period.
specialsauce
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 13th, 2017, 2:21 pm

Play Angry wrote:Also, slight tangent but relevant to a discussion on here earlier this week - below is a link to an interesting article regarding the Selection Committee's boot camp on advanced metrics this weekend (stolen from a post by Kel Varnsen on ShockerNet). It is an interesting read.

Nice find.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 13th, 2017, 2:24 pm

specialsauce wrote:Prior to last year's win in Normal, the last time Illinois State had won a regular season game against WSU was in the 2009-10 season. That's quite a stretch of domination. Of course, that goes for most Valley teams during the same time period.

Correct, but as a Cubs fan who constantly got told "1908" by Cardinal fans with a rich history of winning...I would always respond "You're living in the past" since that's all I had to fall back on.

Now, the 1908 snarky comment is over by Cardinal fans. Will the 1998 snarky comments end this year as well?
This game won't determine it, but it will be a nice barometer of just how close we may or may not be.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby specialsauce » January 13th, 2017, 2:31 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:
specialsauce wrote:Prior to last year's win in Normal, the last time Illinois State had won a regular season game against WSU was in the 2009-10 season. That's quite a stretch of domination. Of course, that goes for most Valley teams during the same time period.

Correct, but as a Cubs fan who constantly got told "1908" by Cardinal fans with a rich history of winning...I would always respond "You're living in the past" since that's all I had to fall back on.

Now, the 1908 snarky comment is over by Cardinal fans. Will the 1998 snarky comments end this year as well?
This game won't determine it, but it will be a nice barometer of just how close we may or may not be.

I don't think I mentioned 2008, let alone 1998, in my post. I was just pointing out a pretty remarkable factoid that is very recent to the times.
specialsauce
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 13th, 2017, 2:50 pm

specialsauce wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:

I don't think I mentioned 2008, let alone 1998, in my post. I was just pointing out a pretty remarkable factoid that is very recent to the times.

I didn't mention 2008 either.
Your statement does apply to "the past" though and thus my anecdote. With that said, it is an incredible factoid of dominance, especially after Creighton left.

So, I ventured over to Shockernet today and I must say...

If you are ShockerFever, then you are an ugly, ugly poster on that website and have an extreme hatred for all things Illinois State. Were you a fan of the Shox when both schools had a love affair back before 2010? If so, man did that turn quickly for you.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Play Angry » January 13th, 2017, 3:28 pm

Vegas opened at WSU -2.5, has moved to -4.
Play Angry
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Cdizzle » January 13th, 2017, 3:54 pm

Good luck to everyone this weekend. Stay safe travelling to and from games. Sounds like most of the Valley footprint has the potential to get some nasty icing.
Cdizzle
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Redbirdgrad » January 13th, 2017, 4:15 pm

Play Angry wrote:Also, slight tangent but relevant to a discussion on here earlier this week - below is a link to an interesting article regarding the Selection Committee's boot camp on advanced metrics this weekend (stolen from a post by Kel Varnsen on ShockerNet). It is an interesting read.

This is fantastic to read. The RPI being the most heavily leaned on metric has been an issue for a long time.

Great find!
Redbirdgrad
All MVC
All MVC

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball