3. SIU (4-2)
4. Loyola (3-3)
5. Missouri St (3-3)
6. Bradley (3-3)
7. Drake (3-3)
8. Evansville (1-5)
9. Indiana St (1-5)
10. UNI (1-5)

What changes do you see? Who will be playing on Thursday in March? Who will win the regular season title?
SalukiHoops
SalukiHoops
MVC Role Player
MVC Role Player

STANDINGS AT THE 1/3 MARK

Sponsor

Sponsor

Re: STANDINGS AT THE 1/3 MARK

Postby ptownbraves » January 15th, 2017, 6:02 pm

I think the top 5 and bottom 5 teams will stay the same. The order might change a bit, but I don't see any teams in the top 5 that are overperforming. In the bottom 5, I can see Bradley easily drop to 3-8 based on their upcoming 5 games (ISUr, @MSU, @Loyola, WSU, @SIU). A Thursday spot is all but guaranteed if that happens. I do think ISUb and UNI are better than their records indicate and will make a push to stay out of Thursday by the end of the season.
ptownbraves
All MVC
All MVC

Postby James_SIU » January 15th, 2017, 7:44 pm

Split title between Illinois state and WSU. Illinois state has got some awesome athletes but I think WSU is deep enough to beat them in Witchita. Both may lose 1 more along the way but they are the clear 2 best teams in the valley. Thursday teams will be Indiana state, Drake, Evansville, and Bradley. For some reason I think Northern Iowa will turn it around... SIU, Loyola, and MSU could finish in any order 3-5. I haven't seen much that allows me to seperate those 3 teams.
James_SIU
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby ACECARD » January 15th, 2017, 9:49 pm

James_SIU wrote:Split title between Illinois state and WSU. Illinois state has got some awesome athletes but I think WSU is deep enough to beat them in Witchita. Both may lose 1 more along the way but they are the clear 2 best teams in the valley. Thursday teams will be Indiana state, Drake, Evansville, and Bradley. For some reason I think Northern Iowa will turn it around... SIU, Loyola, and MSU could finish in any order 3-5. I haven't seen much that allows me to seperate those 3 teams.

This finish sounds reasonable to me.
ACECARD
All MVC
All MVC

Postby hot nuts » January 15th, 2017, 10:14 pm

Would be tough being a one or two seed and playing northern Iowa on Friday in The Lou.
hot nuts
All MVC
All MVC

Postby chitown fanatic » January 16th, 2017, 1:07 pm

I see it like this:
1)WSU- redbirds are coached by Muller whose only rivaled in ineptitude by Lusk so they will lose a few games they shouldn't, giving the Shux the title
2)ISU Red
3)Loyola- Doyle apparently has come to play this season
4-5 MSU and SIU(not sure who's where but this is your 235 matinee)
6)BU- need to win 1 of next 5 before easier feb schedule should get them to 8 wins, if Wardle ever figures out how to shorten his bench)
7)UNI- still think 7 wins is the ceiling for this very flawed UNI team, by far Jacobsen's worst since he started
8-9 ISU Blue-Drake
10)Evansville.
chitown fanatic
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby Blers » January 16th, 2017, 4:41 pm

chitown fanatic wrote:I see it like this:
1)WSU- redbirds are coached by Muller whose only rivaled in ineptitude by Lusk so they will lose a few games they shouldn't, giving the Shux the title
2)ISU Red
6)BU- need to win 1 of next 5 before easier feb schedule should get them to 8 wins, if Wardle ever figures out how to shorten his bench)
7)UNI- still think 7 wins is the ceiling for this very flawed UNI team, by far Jacobsen's worst since he started
8-9 ISU Blue-Drake
10)Evansville.

I think i may completely agree with this list. I was really impressed with Alize Johnson against LU yesterday and their team as a whole, but they seem to get hot then go on looooooong cold streaks. With Doyle playing the way he is along with Jackson down low and Ingram on the wing, i'm very excited to keep watching this team. Custer's been in a bit of a slump but i know he's been battling an illness this week (someone on our board noted that he walked off the bench to a trash can at one point)... but if we can get all 4 of those guys going along with a usually consistent Richardson we can be tough to beat. We finally got some good bench production yesterday as well so if that continues I could definitely see Loyola getting to at least 10-8.

The one team I have not seen that I know I need to is SIU. Been really impressed with what they've done on paper, but will be interesting to see what happens as their schedule seems relatively back loaded with tough games. Still have 3 (2 away) against WSU/ISU, 2 against LU, @MSU and perhaps two tough games against UNI (if they do bounce back).

I haven't seen them play so I really can't judge their success, just an observation!
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby James_SIU » January 17th, 2017, 12:36 am

Blers wrote:
chitown fanatic wrote:I see it like this:
2)ISU Red
8-9 ISU Blue-Drake
10)Evansville.

I think i may completely agree with this list. I was really impressed with Alize Johnson against LU yesterday and their team as a whole, but they seem to get hot then go on looooooong cold streaks. With Doyle playing the way he is along with Jackson down low and Ingram on the wing, i'm very excited to keep watching this team. Custer's been in a bit of a slump but i know he's been battling an illness this week (someone on our board noted that he walked off the bench to a trash can at one point)... but if we can get all 4 of those guys going along with a usually consistent Richardson we can be tough to beat. We finally got some good bench production yesterday as well so if that continues I could definitely see Loyola getting to at least 10-8.

The one team I have not seen that I know I need to is SIU. Been really impressed with what they've done on paper, but will be interesting to see what happens as their schedule seems relatively back loaded with tough games. Still have 3 (2 away) against WSU/ISU, 2 against LU, @MSU and perhaps two tough games against UNI (if they do bounce back).

I haven't seen them play so I really can't judge their success, just an observation!

Beat Missouri State in Springfield already. Without SIU's leading scorer (Fletcher) as well. Not that MSU can't beat us in Carbondale just wanting to correct that one error.
James_SIU
MVC Bench Warmer
MVC Bench Warmer

Postby Blers » January 17th, 2017, 10:34 am

James_SIU wrote:Beat Missouri State in Springfield already. Without SIU's leading scorer (Fletcher) as well. Not that MSU can't beat us in Carbondale just wanting to correct that one error.

True, that is a solid win! I guess I'm just kind of confused at what MSU is at this point haha.
Blers
All MVC
All MVC

Postby Old School MVC » January 17th, 2017, 11:03 am

MSU has impressed me both times I have seen them, but their record confuses me. Of all the teams I have seen, they are the 3rd best, but their record does not show it. I will still pick them 3rd, but SIU may have something to say about that.
Old School MVC
MVC starter
MVC starter

Next

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball