STANDINGS AT THE 1/3 MARK

Discuss the MVC hoops season here.

Re: STANDINGS AT THE 1/3 MARK

Postby BuBrave2006 » January 18th, 2017, 7:55 am

Wufan wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:
Wufan wrote:
Whether on not McIntosh is a better player than Johnson is a different argument than if you would trade for him.

What do you mean? Same graduating class. Nearly the same position...McIntosh can play #1-#4

So, with those being rather equal...now, you are arguing value over replacement player or value added/lost in trading the two players. If Alize Johnson is on ISUr and McIntosh is on MSU. How much better or worse is either team?

If someone is on your team, and is "your guy", then you might not want to trade him even if there is an upgrade in talent. As a fan, you enjoy watching the intricacies of your guy, and that's it. You fall in love, and even though you recognize the qualities in other players, it's just not the same.

I don't think I would trade Darrell Brown for anyone else in the conference right now for the reasons Wufan listed.
BuBrave2006
All MVC
All MVC

Sponsor

Sponsor

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 18th, 2017, 8:40 am

Wufan wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:
glm38 wrote:
McIntosh is really good but no I wouldn't trade Johnson for him. Johnson is one of the most versatile players I've ever seen. Best rebounder in the conference, handles the ball like a guard, good shooter out to 3 point range, good post up game, and a good passer. The only thing he doesn't really do well is shoot free throws. He didn't have a great game against ISUR due to foul trouble if I'm remembering right.

He was not in foul trouble in the 2nd half. You were shooting lights out from three and he was benched in the 2nd half as a non-factor.

Definitely the best rebounder. However, a worse ball handler than McIntosh (although pretty spectacular for his size regardless).
Johnson - 37% 3pfg
McIntosh - 40% 3pfg

Both are very good in the post. McIntosh has a better mid-range game.

Johnson - 56% ft
McIntosh - 77% ft

Both are Juniors.

It's a tough call. You go with your guy. I'll stick with mine.

I'm curious why you would call Johnson "a worse ball handler"? I've been surprised/amazed at Johnsons ball handling, but don't recall anything good or bad about MM.

He is good, but McIntosh is much better at ball handling. Have you watched him take the ball up the court?

A player can be a good ball handler, but not as good as another ball handler....doesn't mean I think Johnson is bad at it. He is very good for his size....just if you had to choose who to take the ball up the court, McIntosh wins that battle.
Last edited by BirdsEyeView on January 18th, 2017, 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 18th, 2017, 8:43 am

BuBrave2006 wrote:
Wufan wrote:
If someone is on your team, and is "your guy", then you might not want to trade him even if there is an upgrade in talent. As a fan, you enjoy watching the intricacies of your guy, and that's it. You fall in love, and even though you recognize the qualities in other players, it's just not the same.

I don't think I would trade Darrell Brown for anyone else in the conference right now for the reasons Wufan listed.

I get what you are saying WuFan, but it's a stretch. If you could trade McDuffie for Lonzo Ball right now, you would not do that because you love watching McDuffie?

Lonzo Ball puts you in the top 25 easily and provides you a much better opportunity to win.

In the same notion, I love watching Paris Lee play, he has been a Redbird for 4 years...but, with that said, if I could trade him for Lonzo Ball right now...I do it without thinking twice.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby specialsauce » January 18th, 2017, 9:28 am

Wait, are we comparing McIntosh to Lonzo Ball?
specialsauce
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 18th, 2017, 9:38 am

specialsauce wrote:Wait, are we comparing McIntosh to Lonzo Ball?

No, try to keep up. Read WuFan's post.

He said he wouldn't trade a player he loves to watch simply to upgrade talent. I used Lonzo Ball as an example. If UCLA said I will trade you Lonzo Ball for McDuffie, would you (even if you loved watched McDuffie play)?

WuFan is saying he will stick with his guy regardless of an upgrade in talent....asinine management decision if that were the truth.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby specialsauce » January 18th, 2017, 9:43 am

So you would trade McIntosh for Lonzo Ball?
specialsauce
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 18th, 2017, 9:52 am

specialsauce wrote:So you would trade McIntosh for Lonzo Ball?

Yes.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby specialsauce » January 18th, 2017, 9:59 am

BirdsEyeView wrote:

Yes.

I'm not sure that's very fair to McIntosh. A lot of fans are tied in emotionally to their players or at least should be. Just dropping a committed Redbird for a more talented one-and-doner seems like the wrong outlook. I think Illinois State is doing well without Mr. Ball.
specialsauce
MVC starter
MVC starter

Postby BirdsEyeView » January 18th, 2017, 11:20 am

specialsauce wrote:
BirdsEyeView wrote:

Yes.

I'm not sure that's very fair to McIntosh. A lot of fans are tied in emotionally to their players or at least should be. Just dropping a committed Redbird for a more talented one-and-doner seems like the wrong outlook. I think Illinois State is doing well without Mr. Ball.

Clearly this is all hypothetical if there were trades in College Basketball. I love Jimmy Butler too, but if LeBron James was traded for him, I would be okay with it.
I do really like McIntosh, and he is one of the few college players in this day in age who committed to their program (tons of transfers), but again from the argument of talent, I'd take Ball then McIntosh then Johnson IF there were trades.
BirdsEyeView
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

Postby Wufan » January 18th, 2017, 12:14 pm

BirdsEyeView wrote:
BuBrave2006 wrote:
Wufan wrote:

I get what you are saying WuFan, but it's a stretch. If you could trade McDuffie for Lonzo Ball right now, you would not do that because you love watching McDuffie?

Lonzo Ball puts you in the top 25 easily and provides you a much better opportunity to win.

In the same notion, I love watching Paris Lee play, he has been a Redbird for 4 years...but, with that said, if I could trade him for Lonzo Ball right now...I do it without thinking twice.

There is a limit to every love affair.
Wufan
MVC Hall Of Famer
MVC Hall Of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Missouri Valley Conference Basketball